What happens when you change the aspnet user password?

jn148

I administer three IIS6 servers for a large company where the
programmers are now requesting that we change the password for the
local aspnet user account on the server to a known password (no longer
windows controlled).

Can I expect any additional fallout from this change - or is this
relatively a benign change?

I am assuming all I have to do is go into Computer Management, Local
Users and Groups and set password on the aspnet account?

Thanks for any help!

Keith

There will be a lot of problems in IIS6 if they are
expecting the user to be ASPNET. By default, IIS 6.0
runs under the NETWORK SERVICE user.

You may want to let your programmers know that.

This can be changed in either of the following ways....

1. Set the application pool to run as ASPNET instead of
NETWORK SERVICE

2. Set the web server to run in IIS 5 isolation mode

Neither of these are recommended, but I put them in order
of preference if you are going to do this.

Keith