what has replaced Usenet groups?

Gary

I used to use Usenet groups for info on programming and Linux admin.
It seems those groups are now much harder to access and are filled
with spam. Have the people who used to use those groups moved to some
other mechanism for sharing technical info on software development and
administering Linux?

Gary Whitten

Arne Vajhøj

I used to use Usenet groups for info on programming and Linux admin.
It seems those groups are now much harder to access and are filled
with spam. Have the people who used to use those groups moved to some
other mechanism for sharing technical info on software development and
administering Linux?

Usage of usenet has declined a bot over the last 10-15 years.

But many groups are still active.

Including cljp.

The usage of various web forums has increased dramatically.

Relevant places for Java would be:
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=285
http://www.javaranch.com/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/java
http://www.theserverside.com/discussions
http://www.javaworld.com/community/?q=javaqa

Arne

markspace

The usage of various web forums has increased dramatically.

Yes, and email lists with web front ends have increased in use
dramatically also. cljp is still used fairly frequently.

Gary: you didn't get an answer on your JavaMail question because it's
almost certainly a configuration problem and has nothing to do with Java
or JavaMail. Also, you gave us almost nothing to go on, so....

Lew

They're a LOT less spam-filled if you use a server other than Google Groups.
I use albasani via Thunderbird and nine-tenths of the crap on GG just doesn't
even show up on that server, and 99% of the rest is spam-filtered locally.

So the answer to your question of what people use now in lieu of Usenet is:
Usenet!

Donkey Hottie

They're a LOT less spam-filled if you use a server other than Google
Groups. I use albasani via Thunderbird and nine-tenths of the crap on GG
just doesn't even show up on that server, and 99% of the rest is
spam-filtered locally.

So the answer to your question of what people use now in lieu of Usenet
is: Usenet!

My personal Usenet server (Leafnode on own server) simply drops any post
from GG. I do not see them, but if they are worth anything, I see the