What in Hell are Sun playing at with learning JNI ?

Chris Uppal

Anyone know what Sun is doing with JNI reference material ?

There used to be a valuable JNI trail in the Java Tutorial, but it's been
unreachable for months and is no longer linked to from the main tutorial pages.
There used to be a copy of Sheng Liang's book on the website too, but all that
stuff has been replaced by a link to some online bookshop.

It seems that they don't /want/ people to learn how to program JNI. Are those
cretins under the impression that the Java libraries are so perfect and
complete that no one will ever need anything else ?

At this rate they'll be removing the JNI specification from the next JDK.

<fume/>

-- chris

pradeepkumar.te

If an Operating System is developed for the existing JVM and if the
programmer is not allowed to develop program that depends on the native
OS or hardware then I think the application developer need not worry
about the JNI interface. Perhaps this may be the reason why JNI may not
be useful in future....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks ,
Pradeep

Tim Ward

If an Operating System is developed for the existing JVM and if the
programmer is not allowed to develop program that depends on the native
OS or hardware then ...

.... the application I'm working on will get rewritten in C++. (Which it
should have been in the first place; I'm currently having to do bits of it
in C++ via JNI.)

Chris Smith

If an Operating System is developed for the existing JVM and if the
programmer is not allowed to develop program that depends on the native
OS or hardware then I think the application developer need not worry
about the JNI interface. Perhaps this may be the reason why JNI may not
be useful in future....

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're only missing one condition: "and everyone switches over to using
that operating system". That last condition is a real woozy, though.

Gordon Beaton

Now, for extra credit: find a link /to/ that page from anywhere else
in Sun's Java documentation ;-)

Start at the J2SE 5.0 documentation, follow the JNI link, then the
"tips" link to arrive at the "book available" page.

Follow the link "Code examples in the book can be downloaded here" and
finally "view HTML".

/gordon

Roland de Ruiter

Gordon Beaton wrote:

[me:]

Well, that's something. Thanks.

Now, for extra credit: find a link /to/ that page from anywhere else in Sun's
Java documentation ;-)

-- chris
Not too difficult :
Click on the JNI-"brick" in the JSE diagram
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/>
->
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jni/index.html>
->
<http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/faq/jnifaq.html>
->
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jni/>

You can transfer your credits to my airmiles account ;-)

Owen Jacobson

You're only missing one condition: "and everyone switches over to using
that operating system". That last condition is a real woozy, though.

And yet, people continue to download JBoss.

Owen Jacobson

Nothing serious. I was just venting frustration at our app server, which
(out of the box) takes almost as long to start as the OS we're running it
on and provides almost as many services.

I'm convinced the JBoss people think the JVM needs an OS and they're
writing one.

--o

Chris Uppal

Owen said:
I'm convinced the JBoss people think the JVM needs an OS and they're
writing one.

Maybe they should merge with the Emacs people ;-)

Come to think of it, I'm sure Emacs must have a webserver built-in already --
but perhaps not yet a full enterprise applications server framework...

-- chris

Danno

Owen said:
Nothing serious. I was just venting frustration at our app server, which
(out of the box) takes almost as long to start as the OS we're running it
on and provides almost as many services.

I'm convinced the JBoss people think the JVM needs an OS and they're
writing one.

What are you doing on JBoss? I get Jboss done and ready in less than
30 minutes.

Dag Sunde

Danno said:
What are you doing on JBoss? I get Jboss done and ready in less than
30 minutes.

30 minutes?

What are you running it on? A Sinclair Spectrum?

;-)

Danno

--

Haha. The computer is not slow, I am. JBoss runs as is,but I usually
need to add resources, do some db work, set up an Apache front end,