What is a "data object" in W3C terminology ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Ludovic Kuty, Nov 2, 2009.

  1. Ludovic Kuty

    Ludovic Kuty Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to define exactly what is an XML document. I know what it
    is of course but for the sake of accuracy, I would like to understand
    well the term "data object" used in the last XML recommendation (5th).
    Before diving into entities, infoset and the likes.

    We can read that "Extensible Markup Language, abbreviated XML,
    describes a class of data objects called XML documents" in the 1st
    section called "Introduction" or that "Definition: A data object is an
    XML document if it is well-formed" in the 2nd section called
    "Documents".

    Does "data object" mean simply "something" or "something digital" or
    has it a more precise meaning than that ?

    TIA,

    Ludovic Kuty
    Ludovic Kuty, Nov 2, 2009

  2. Ludovic Kuty wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to define exactly what is an XML document. I know what it
    > is of course but for the sake of accuracy, I would like to understand
    > well the term "data object" used in the last XML recommendation (5th).
    > Before diving into entities, infoset and the likes.
    >
    > We can read that "Extensible Markup Language, abbreviated XML,
    > describes a class of data objects called XML documents" in the 1st
    > section called "Introduction" or that "Definition: A data object is an
    > XML document if it is well-formed" in the 2nd section called
    > "Documents".
    >
    > Does "data object" mean simply "something" or "something digital" or
    > has it a more precise meaning than that ?

    There is an "annotated specification":
    http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm

    That says:
    What Do You Mean By "Data Object?"

    Good question. The point is that an XML document is sometimes a file,
    sometimes a record in a relational database, sometimes an object
    delivered by an Object Request Broker, and sometimes a stream of bytes
    arriving at a network socket.

    These can all be described as "data objects".

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
    Martin Honnen, Nov 2, 2009

  3. Ludovic Kuty

    The Magpie Guest

    Ludovic Kuty wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    > Does "data object" mean simply "something" or "something digital" or
    > has it a more precise meaning than that ?

    Technically, Ludovic, a data object means any single and
    self-contained stream of bytes (which can be a file, a data output
    from a relational or other database or even a transmitted string of
    text over the internet) which contains *only* the data upon which
    operations might be carried out and which does *not* contain the
    operations which may be carried out upon the data.

    In short, it is a "piece of information" kept as a single unit.
    The Magpie, Nov 2, 2009
  4. Ludovic Kuty

    Ludovic Kuty Guest

    On Nov 2, 8:02 pm, The Magpie <> wrote:
    > Ludovic Kuty wrote:
    >
    > > [snip]

    > > Does "data object" mean simply "something" or "something digital" or
    > > has it a more precise meaning than that ?

    > Technically, Ludovic, a data object means any single and
    > self-contained stream of bytes (which can be a file, a data output
    > from a relational or other database or even a transmitted string of
    > text over the internet) which contains *only* the data upon which
    > operations might be carried out and which does *not* contain the
    > operations which may be carried out upon the data.
    >
    > In short, it is a "piece of information" kept as a single unit.

    Thanks for your answers
    Ludovic Kuty, Nov 2, 2009