    Depend", but I keep getting this error
    message: " *** No rule to make target
    `depend'. Stop.".
    Paul J Mooney, Jul 6, 2005

  2. [ Please fix the problem with your computer. I see four instances of
    your message! ]

    Paul J Mooney wrote:
    > What, in Perl, is a dependency?

    A *module* dependency is info about which other modules a module needs
    in order to work.

    > The reason that I'm asking is that I've been trying to install Perl
    > (Version 5.8.6) on a DOS/DJGPP platform,

    Are you aware of ActiveState and IndigoPerl? I'm an advocate of the
    latter (http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm) since it gives you
    Apache with CGI, mod_perl and PHP thrown in. (Besides that, the actual
    Perl bundles are very similar AFAIK.)

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 6, 2005

  3. Paul J Mooney

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Paul J Mooney" <> wrote in message
    > What, in Perl, is a dependency? The
    > reason that I'm asking is that I've
    > been trying to install Perl (Version
    > 5.8.6) on a DOS/DJGPP platform,
    > but I can't get the dependencies to
    > compile with Make. After running
    > Configure, I've tried to run "Make
    > Depend", but I keep getting this error
    > message: " *** No rule to make target
    > `depend'. Stop.".

    Why do you want run "Make Depend" ? README.dos (in the top level of the
    source tarball) mentions nothing about running such a command. Does
    something go awry when you try to build according to the README.dos
    instructions ? If so, what is the error you are getting ? (Though I'm not
    too sure that anyone here will be able to help :)

    Are you sure you want to use DJGPP to build perl ? You're quite entitled to
    do that, of course, though mostly on Win32, people use one of the binaries
    that Gunnar mentioned - or if they want to build perl themselves on Win32
    they usually choose to build with either Microsoft's Visual Studio or the
    freely available MinGW and dmake.

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Jul 6, 2005