    I'm a C++/java programmer and have done a bunch of perl coding.
    I am thinking of maybe learning python. What's a good intro primer, easy to read
    good examples, understandable, maybe not one of those 2 inch thick books etc. ?

    Larry, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Larry

    Ivo Guest

    www.python.org section documentation

    cheerz,
    Ivo.
    www.IvoNet.nl

    Ivo, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Larry

    Larry Bates Guest

    I learned a lot from the following two books:

    Python 2.1 Bible, Dave Brueck and Stephen Tanner

    and

    Python Programming on Win32 by Mark Hammond and
    Andy Robinson

    You also need a copy of the Standard Library
    that you can get from www.python.org.

    Larry Bates

    Larry Bates, Mar 4, 2004
  4. ----- Original Message -----
    vincent wehren, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Larry

    Lutz Horn Guest

    Hi,

    * Larry [4 Mar 2004 10:35:54 -0800]:
    > I'm a C++/java programmer and have done a bunch of perl coding.
    > I am thinking of maybe learning python. What's a good intro primer,
    > easy to read good examples, understandable, maybe not one of those 2
    > inch thick books etc. ?

    Take a look at "Dive Into Python - Python from novice to pro", available
    as Free Documentation from http://www.diveintopython.org/

    Lutz
    --
    Do you want to think like a computer scientist? Read http://thinkpython.com/
    Read books about Free Software at http://www.network-theory.co.uk/

    Lutz Horn, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Larry

    Bud Rogers Guest

    vincent wehren wrote:

    > "Learning Python, Second Edition" by David Ascher and Mark Lutz (1.13
    > inches) perhaps?
    >
    > And then, not so much *intro* but absolutely *vital*:
    >
    > "Python in a Nutshell" by Alex Martelli (1.14 inches)
    > "Python Cookbook", by Alex Martelli, David Asher (Editors) (1.10
    > inches)

    I am actively lusting for the Cookbook. I have had LP 1st edition for a
    while. Is there enough more/newer/better about the 2nd edition to
    justify buying it as well?

    budr

    Bud Rogers, Mar 4, 2004