    Can someone explain to me what a hook is?

    Does it has something to do with a debugger?

    Thanks
    Mohammad, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Mohammad

    Moonlit Guest

    Hi,

    "Mohammad" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone explain to me what a hook is?

    A hook is a function that is executed somewhere in between or before another
    function. For instance in windows you can place a hook (function) which will
    receive all mouse movements. One can use this to create macro's. (I did
    something like this in my free frachunt program). I redirected all mouse
    messages to my function first (and forwarded them to the function that
    originally would receive them) so I could 'replay' them later when the user
    asked for it.

    > Does it has something to do with a debugger?

    It has nothing to do with a debugger.

    > Thanks

    Regards, Ron AF Greve.
    Moonlit, Nov 8, 2003

  3. EventHelix.com, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Mohammad

    Mohammad Guest

    (EventHelix.com) wrote in message news:<>...
    > A hook generally a code stub left in the code to support a future
    > enhancement.
    >
    > In general the so called design hooks end up cluttering the code. Checkout
    > the following article:
    > http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/KeepItSimple.htm
    >
    > Sandeep

    Is there a standard method of creating a hook, e.g., using a function pointer?

    How is call to a function is intercepted but the hook function?

    Can someone give a snippet of code?

    Thanks
    Mohammad, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Hook is a general term to refer to any code written in the name
    for future enhancement. That's all there is to it.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Sequence Diagrams and Use Case Diagrams in PDF
    EventHelix.com, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Mohammad wrote:
    > Can someone explain to me what a hook is?
    >
    > Does it has something to do with a debugger?
    >
    > Thanks

    I always thought that a "hook function" was some function that the
    system/library/toolkit you are working with calls for you in an event-
    driven setup.

    Consider a GUI toolkit: a View::mouseDown() member function gets called
    by the system for you when the user clicks the mouse in some given View.
    You inherit from View and implement your own mouseDown(), but you never
    explicitly call it yourself. It's a "hook" into the GUI toolkit, provided
    for you by the designers of the toolkit.

    ---J

    --
    --- remove zees if contacting via email ---
    John Gabriele, Nov 11, 2003