    Can someone suggest what to use as a similar dot which will validate?
    --
    -Doug

    bole2cant, Jun 24, 2003

  2. bole2cant

    brucie Guest

    In post <bdae5c$q12$>
    bole2cant said...

    > A few weeks ago Yucca provided &#8226 as a "dot" in a reply.

    its a blank small circle
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html#h-24.2.1

    > I thought this must be a valid way of presenting a dot between items

    it is

    > so I used it, instead of the (ASCII) dot I have been using--which does not validate.
    > I just discovered that &#8226 doesn't validate either.

    it is valid but you haven't supplied a URI to show how you're using it
    and both times you mentioned it you've not used the ';' at the end.

    • or &bull; is the same.

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 25/June/2003 07:03:26 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Jun 24, 2003

  3. "bole2cant" <> wrote:

    > A few weeks ago Yucca provided &#8226 as a "dot" in a reply.

    I guess you're referring to <http://groups.google.com/groups?
    selm=Xns9360C9077129jkorpelacstutfi%40193.229.0.31> where I wrote:
    "Regarding support, my IE 6 on Windows displays both • (the
    undefined reference) and • (the correct character reference) and
    &bull; (the equivalent entity reference) as thich vertical bars when
    they appear in <option> elements, as on the page in question. The
    browser shows all of them as bullets when in normal text."

    I don't think I ever called it a dot. It's the bullet character.

    > I thought this must be a valid way of presenting a dot between
    > items so I used it, instead of the (ASCII) dot I have been
    > using--which does not validate.

    There is no dot in ASCII.

    > I just discovered that &#8226 doesn't validate either.

    Pardon? Which document doesn't validate under which DTD?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 24, 2003
  4. bole2cant

    bole2cant Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "bole2cant" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I thought this must be a valid way of presenting a dot between
    > > items so I used it, instead of the (ASCII) dot I have been
    > > using--which does not validate.

    > There is no dot in ASCII.
    >
    > > I just discovered that &#8226 doesn't validate either.

    > Pardon? Which document doesn't validate under which DTD?

    Not until this group is kinder and gentler! Hey, I didn't use
    "Strict"! --because there is no way to center a table with the contents
    centered.

    ====================

    <quote>
    Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

    Line 133, column 47: non SGML character number 149 (explain...).
    Re-written using validated CSS and HTML 4.01. • Updated 06/24/03.</p>
    </quote> ^

    The • is the character in front of Updated.

    ===
    >There is no dot in ASCII. ... <alt>+249

    My intent was not to argue semantics. (I put the ASCII in ()). I just want to
    know what IS valid.

    Thanks.

    --
    Doug

    bole2cant, Jun 24, 2003
  5. In article <bdai5s$r1h$>,
    says...
    > > > I thought this must be a valid way of presenting a dot between
    > > > items so I used it, instead of the (ASCII) dot I have been

    > > > I just discovered that &#8226 doesn't validate either.

    > Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.
    >
    > Line 133, column 47: non SGML character number 149 (explain...).
    > Re-written using validated CSS and HTML 4.01. • Updated 06/24/03.</p>

    You should have something like:

    Do you? Or are you using the alt key to put the char in?

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jun 25, 2003
  6. bole2cant

    bole2cant Guest

    "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" wrote:
    > You should have something like:
    > Do you? Or are you using the alt key to put the char in?

    =====================

    I think I have identified the problem.

    Yes, I *am* typing • in my text editor (AceHTML4)--not using the alt
    key-- as you advise above. It seems the problem is *Ace* is CONVERTING the
    • to a single character. When I view source on the web there is just a
    "dot". When I re-open the file in Ace there is just a "dot".

    I don't know if this is a bug in Ace or a setting I need to alter. I assume
    Notepad would not do this conversion so that may be how I have to save the it
    properly.
    --
    -Doug

    bole2cant, Jun 25, 2003