What is a valid &#8226?

bole2cant

A few weeks ago Yucca provided &#8226 as a "dot" in a reply.
I thought this must be a valid way of presenting a dot between items so I used
it, instead of the (ASCII) dot I have been using--which does not validate. I
just discovered that &#8226 doesn't validate either.

Can someone suggest what to use as a similar dot which will validate?

brucie

A few weeks ago Yucca provided &#8226 as a "dot" in a reply.

its a blank small circle
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html#h-24.2.1
I thought this must be a valid way of presenting a dot between items

it is
so I used it, instead of the (ASCII) dot I have been using--which does not validate.
I just discovered that &#8226 doesn't validate either.

it is valid but you haven't supplied a URI to show how you're using it
and both times you mentioned it you've not used the ';' at the end.

• or • is the same.

Jukka K. Korpela

bole2cant said:
A few weeks ago Yucca provided &#8226 as a "dot" in a reply.

I guess you're referring to <http://groups.google.com/groups?
selm=Xns9360C9077129jkorpelacstutfi%40193.229.0.31> where I wrote:
"Regarding support, my IE 6 on Windows displays both • (the
undefined reference) and • (the correct character reference) and
&bull; (the equivalent entity reference) as thich vertical bars when
they appear in <option> elements, as on the page in question. The
browser shows all of them as bullets when in normal text."

I don't think I ever called it a dot. It's the bullet character.
I thought this must be a valid way of presenting a dot between
items so I used it, instead of the (ASCII) dot I have been
using--which does not validate.

There is no dot in ASCII.
I just discovered that &#8226 doesn't validate either.

Pardon? Which document doesn't validate under which DTD?

bole2cant

Jukka K. Korpela said:
There is no dot in ASCII.

Pardon? Which document doesn't validate under which DTD?

Not until this group is kinder and gentler! Hey, I didn't use
"Strict"! --because there is no way to center a table with the contents
centered.
====================

<quote>
Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 133, column 47: non SGML character number 149 (explain...).
Re-written using validated CSS and HTML 4.01. • Updated 06/24/03.</p>
</quote> ^

The • is the character in front of Updated.

===
There is no dot in ASCII. ... <alt>+249
My intent was not to argue semantics. (I put the ASCII in ()). I just want to
know what IS valid.

Thanks.

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 133, column 47: non SGML character number 149 (explain...).
Re-written using validated CSS and HTML 4.01. • Updated 06/24/03.</p>
You should have something like:

Do you? Or are you using the alt key to put the char in?

bole2cant

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete said:
You should have something like:
Do you? Or are you using the alt key to put the char in?

I think I have identified the problem.

Yes, I *am* typing • in my text editor (AceHTML4)--not using the alt
key-- as you advise above. It seems the problem is *Ace* is CONVERTING the
• to a single character. When I view source on the web there is just a
"dot". When I re-open the file in Ace there is just a "dot".

I don't know if this is a bug in Ace or a setting I need to alter. I assume
Notepad would not do this conversion so that may be how I have to save the it
properly.