    thanks in advance,

    JJ
    , Jul 1, 2004

  2. HG Guest

    Hi JJ

    Well, you can do web services without proxies..but I would call that doing
    SOAP instead.

    When you add a web reference in Visual Studio (VS), VS generates a proxy
    class for you.. The proxy handles all the plumbing...that is contacting the
    server, serializing and deserialization of parameters and return values,
    construction a SOAP envelope... It acts as a proxy, which in design pattern
    terminology is "a lightweight class that mimics the behaviour of the real
    class, that included delegation method calls to the real class"

    So, the real class, does the hard work...The proxy is lightweight and just
    delegates calls on to the real class. Same applies for the proxy in
    WebServices..

    It makes the world, quite a bit easier, than writeing the SOAP envelope
    yourself.

    Hope that did clear things a bit up

    Regards

    Henrik