What is an RSS feed

Guest

hi,

i've recently seen lots of website with a little red button saying RSS on
it. learned that RSS stands for really simple something or other and an rss
feed is something to with rss. thats all i know. can anyone help me build my
knowledge?

clintonG

Have you been asleep in a cave the last three years?
Briefly, its called R(eally) S(imple) S(yndication) which is expressed in
XML and is primarily used to enable linked text references to remote content
to be loaded into a page. Check out Wikipedia for a lengthy description of
RSS.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

Guest

An RSS feed is basically a bunch of xml created by marketers for the purpose
of further spamming up the Internet and making lots of money by selling
seminars that -- tell people how to create RSS feeds!

Really, in a nutshell, its just a bunch of Xml that contains titles, http
links and descriptions of content on a site. Most commonly you would subcribe
to these in My Yahoo!, My Msn, Google customized home page, My AOL, Bloglines
and other tools.
The XML gets transformed into readable entries on a web page.
Peter