What is base URI?

Water Cooler v2

What is a base URI?

I do apologize for not having read up before asking a question that
could be answered by reading books/ tutorials/searching on the Web.
And here's my perfectly valid excuse.

I am hard-pressed for time. I barely have enough time and a lot of
open threads in my head, most of which require that I have a thorough
understanding of the XML eco-system. I am doing my best to read, I am
doing what I can. I am spending time reading articles on the Web,
MSDN, specifications from W3C (I am reading the SOAP 1.2 and WSDL
specs, Dave Winer's RSS spec, etc. for some of the other stuff I need
to learn). But there's only so much I can do in a limited time, and I
am looking for a one-stop shop for all the XML related technologies.

That said, I do remember having read a book or two on XML and a couple
of Dare Obasanjo's articles about 4 or 5 years back, so I am a bit
familiar with XML in general, XML namespaces, XSD, XSLT, etc. but only
at a beginner to intermediate level. I have mostly forgotten it and
need to revise really quick.

[...]

Hello again,

I just coded up a small example to print out the base URI from an XML
reader. I infer from the ouput of my program that base URI refers to
the URI of the XML file being read. Is this correct?

[...]

Hello once again,

I looked up MSDN and read this example. It sums it up pretty well and
I have understood it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlnode.baseuri(VS.71).aspx

Johannes Koch

Water said:
What is a base URI?
[...]

I looked up MSDN and read this example. It sums it up pretty well and
I have understood it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlnode.baseuri(VS.71).aspx

Looks like this is something like "Base URIs" in DOM 3
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/core.html#baseURIs-Considerations>)
.. You may also want to read "XML Base"
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-xmlbase-20090128/>).

In some different context base URI may also be related to the
HTMLBaseElement interface or HTMLObjectElement's or HTMLAppletElement's
codeBase attribute in DOM 2 HTML
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-DOM-Level-2-HTML-20030109/html.html>).