    familiar with XML in general, XML namespaces, XSD, XSLT, etc. but only
    at a beginner to intermediate level. I have mostly forgotten it and
    need to revise really quick.

    Water Cooler v2, Mar 25, 2009

  2. On Mar 25, 11:48 am, Water Cooler v2 <> wrote:
    > What is a base URI?

    > I do apologize for not having read up before asking a question that
    > could be answered by reading books/ tutorials/searching on the Web.
    > And here's my perfectly valid excuse.
    >
    > I am hard-pressed for time. I barely have enough time and a lot of
    > open threads in my head, most of which require that I have a thorough
    > understanding of the XML eco-system. I am doing my best to read, I am
    > doing what I can. I am spending time reading articles on the Web,
    > MSDN, specifications from W3C (I am reading the SOAP 1.2 and WSDL
    > specs, Dave Winer's RSS spec, etc. for some of the other stuff I need
    > to learn). But there's only so much I can do in a limited time, and I
    > am looking for a one-stop shop for all the XML related technologies.
    >
    > That said, I do remember having read a book or two on XML and a couple
    > of Dare Obasanjo's articles about 4 or 5 years back, so I am a bit
    > familiar with XML in general, XML namespaces, XSD, XSLT, etc. but only
    > at a beginner to intermediate level. I have mostly forgotten it and
    > need to revise really quick.

    Hello again,

    I just coded up a small example to print out the base URI from an XML
    reader. I infer from the ouput of my program that base URI refers to
    the URI of the XML file being read. Is this correct?

    Water Cooler v2, Mar 25, 2009

  3. On Mar 25, 11:48 am, Water Cooler v2 <> wrote:
    > What is a base URI?

    > I do apologize for not having read up before asking a question that
    > could be answered by reading books/ tutorials/searching on the Web.
    > And here's my perfectly valid excuse.
    >
    > I am hard-pressed for time. I barely have enough time and a lot of
    > open threads in my head, most of which require that I have a thorough
    > understanding of the XML eco-system. I am doing my best to read, I am
    > doing what I can. I am spending time reading articles on the Web,
    > MSDN, specifications from W3C (I am reading the SOAP 1.2 and WSDL
    > specs, Dave Winer's RSS spec, etc. for some of the other stuff I need
    > to learn). But there's only so much I can do in a limited time, and I
    > am looking for a one-stop shop for all the XML related technologies.
    >
    > That said, I do remember having read a book or two on XML and a couple
    > of Dare Obasanjo's articles about 4 or 5 years back, so I am a bit
    > familiar with XML in general, XML namespaces, XSD, XSLT, etc. but only
    > at a beginner to intermediate level. I have mostly forgotten it and
    > need to revise really quick.

    Hello once again,

    I looked up MSDN and read this example. It sums it up pretty well and
    I have understood it.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlnode.baseuri(VS.71).aspx

    Water Cooler v2, Mar 25, 2009
  4. Water Cooler v2 schrieb:
    > On Mar 25, 11:48 am, Water Cooler v2 <> wrote:
    >> What is a base URI?

    [...]

    > I looked up MSDN and read this example. It sums it up pretty well and
    > I have understood it.
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.xml.xmlnode.baseuri(VS.71).aspx

    Looks like this is something like "Base URIs" in DOM 3
    (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040407/core.html#baseURIs-Considerations>)
    .. You may also want to read "XML Base"
    (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-xmlbase-20090128/>).

    In some different context base URI may also be related to the
    HTMLBaseElement interface or HTMLObjectElement's or HTMLAppletElement's
    codeBase attribute in DOM 2 HTML
    (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-DOM-Level-2-HTML-20030109/html.html>).

    --
    Johannes Koch