what is best approach doing this?

Jeff

Hey

ASP.NET 2.0

I'm about to create a UserControl for my web project, but I'm wondering if I
need to create 2 UserControls instead. Because these UserControls will be
very similar, the only difference between them will be that one of these
UserControls are containing a control (also being a UserControl, lets call
it "A"), which the other UserControl don't contain!

So I thought about creating 2 different UserControls... but I guess this
would be bad, because these 2 UserControls will have the same markup, except
one the UserControls have a control ("A", mention above) which the other
userControl don't have

Or I could instead create only 1 UserControl, have have some logic in it
which hide or show the control ("A"). In this way I could use only
UserControl and use some kind of logic to hide or show this extra control
("A")... I guess this approach is the best, but would like to know your
thought about this too?

Best Regards

Jeff

Siva M

I prefer the second approach because it is easy to make changes later at one
place instead of two.

[...]

I agree on that but if I hide the control, will the UserControl display
still reserve space for the hided control?

In other words this control I want to hide/show is (400 pixels height and
witdth=100%) placed at the top of the UserControl. If this control is hidden
will the UserControl still reserve space (400 pixels height and witdth=100%)
for the hidden control??....

and in what event should I hide/show the control?

Jeff

Siva M

Set the Visible property to False. This wil not generate any markup nor will
it occupy any space on the browser.

Page Load event may be used to show/hide the control.

I agree on that but if I hide the control, will the UserControl display
still reserve space for the hided control?

In other words this control I want to hide/show is (400 pixels height and
witdth=100%) placed at the top of the UserControl. If this control is hidden
will the UserControl still reserve space (400 pixels height and witdth=100%)
for the hidden control??....

and in what event should I hide/show the control?

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks!