What is better Java with Python or Java with Ruby ?

sahm

Hi every one

I'm tying to use out script in java code. and I want to be OS
Independent
sometime function which is java can not provide it like e.x. ICMP

So I was wondering if any one can help me with this
what is better ?
Java with Python
or
Java with Ruby

Best
Salim

markspace

Hi every one

I'm tying to use out script in java code. and I want to be OS
Independent

I'd try to not use either one, actually. Installing a second runtime
package doesn't sound like something an end user would want to do. Plus
ICMP is an often- and easily-abused protocol. I'd stay the heck away
from it.

Off the top of my head, I think both provide about the same level of OS
independence. If you must choose, pick either and then just use it.

Robert Klemme

I'm tying to use out script in java code. and I want to be OS
Independent
sometime function which is java can not provide it like e.x. ICMP

I would assume that you cannot use this from Python or Ruby either if
the JVM does not support it. And if the JVM supports it why would the
Java standard library lack support?
So I was wondering if any one can help me with this
what is better ?
Java with Python
or Java with Ruby

I haved successfully used JRuby to script Java code and would recommend
it any time. I can't speak for Python.

Kind regards

robert

Arne Vajhøj

I'm tying to use out script in java code. and I want to be OS
Independent
sometime function which is java can not provide it like e.x. ICMP

So I was wondering if any one can help me with this
what is better ?
Java with Python
or
Java with Ruby

ICMP may be supported in CPython or CRuby. But I would
expect Jython and JRuby to have the same limitations as
Java.

So I doubt that either will solve your problem.

(if you run the script in a separate process, then you can
probably just as well run the ping executable the same way)

Arne

Lew

sahm said:
I'm tying to use out script [wtf?] in java code. and I want to be OS
Independent
sometime function which is java [sic] can not provide it like e.x. ICMP

So I was wondering if any one can help me with this
what is better ?
Java with Python
or
Java with Ruby

Yes.

Robert Klemme

sahm said:
I'm tying to use out script [wtf?] in java code. and I want to be OS
Independent
sometime function which is java [sic] can not provide it like e.x. ICMP

So I was wondering if any one can help me with this
what is better ?
Java with Python
or
Java with Ruby

Yes.

*chuckle*

Lew, since when are you studying Zen? ;-)

Cheers

robert

-= What's the sound of one hand coding? =-

Lew

Robert said:
Lew said:

*chuckle*

Lew, since when are you studying Zen? ;-) .... [snip] ...
-= What's the sound of one hand coding? =-

/Study/ Zen? Mu!

I just get off on the way koans stop my mind. It gives me a rush.

As for the OP's question, really, come on!

Which is better, ice cream or cake?

Which is better, a helicopter or a jet plane?

Which is better, basketball or farming?

Which is better, love or happiness?

Which is better, emacs or vi?

Robert Klemme

Robert said:
Lew said:
sahm wrote:
So I was wondering if any one can help me with this
what is better ?
Java with Python
or
Java with Ruby

Yes.

*chuckle*

Lew, since when are you studying Zen? ;-) ... [snip] ...
-= What's the sound of one hand coding? =-

/Study/ Zen? Mu!

:)

This reminds me of a joke my dad told me:

Q: "What's the difference between an elephant?"
A: "And what?"
Q: "Sorry, no helping!"
I just get off on the way koans stop my mind. It gives me a rush.

As for the OP's question, really, come on!

+1

As a philosophical side note: people seem to think that "good" and "bad"
are absolute terms and there is always a way to align arbitrary things
ordered by their "quality". This is of course nonsense as many
(including you, Lew) do not get tired to point out. The only other
explanation I have is that people seem to assume readers can not only
read their newsgroup postings but their minds as well. That seems as
unrealistic as the former assumption to me... :)

For people interested in musings about "quality" here's a nice book
about the matter:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0061673730

Cheers

robert