    hi,
    i am a new guy. i'd be pleased if someone could explain the
    capabilities of core java and the reasons for its prolonged existence?

    krish, Jul 23, 2003

  2. krish

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 23 Jul 2003 00:42:25 -0700, (krish) wrote or
    quoted :

    > i am a new guy. i'd be pleased if someone could explain the
    >capabilities of core java and the reasons for its prolonged existence?

    I don't know if it has an official definition. There are a series of
    books called Core Web Programming, Core Servlets and Java Server Pages
    and the original Core Java.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 23, 2003

  3. krish

    Roger Irwin Guest

    krish wrote:
    > hi,
    > i am a new guy. i'd be pleased if someone could explain the
    > capabilities of core java and the reasons for its prolonged existence?

    Core java is all the basic classes and API's. It is the Java equivalent
    of the "C lib" or the intrinsic controls and built-in-functions in VB.

    These are then added to with extra API's to make a "platform", that is
    the complete set of API's needed to run an application.

    Core java + common API's exist for different application areas, so we
    have the J2EE platform the J2SE platform and the J2ME, for example.

    This is common sense, it means developers of paricular types of
    applications need to add little or nothing to the platform to support
    thier apps whilst avoiding ridiculous bloat.

    Note that you can take "core java" and add to it all the packages you
    need to make a full blown JSP web/app server. It is more convinient to
    take a platform which allready has this type of stuff included.

    Roger Irwin, Jul 23, 2003
  4. krish wrote:

    > i am a new guy. i'd be pleased if someone could explain the
    > capabilities of core java and the reasons for its prolonged existence?

    "Core Java" is basically the language, coupled with the standard
    core API that comes with any Java distribution. Advanced Java is
    generally the "advanced" stuff :p like Servlets, JSP, and EJB
    (J2EE). Sometimes "Advanced" is replaced with "Enterprise" to
    make it sound even more appealing.

    -Manish

    --
    Manish Jethani (manish.j at gmx.net)