What is happening to Mozilla ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Penang, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Penang

    Penang Guest

    Penang, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Penang wrote:
    > I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
    >
    > And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
    > these days.
    >
    > Look at the Mozilla Road Map www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html and
    > currently Mozilla is stucked at 1.8 Alpha 4
    >
    > ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/
    >
    > One look at Mozilla Status Page www.mozilla.org/status/ the last
    > update was May, 2004.
    >
    > So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
    >
    > Is it dead ?

    There should be a 1.8a5 out in few days.

    The new versioning for Mozilla has been slowed down intentionally since
    new development is focused on Firefox. There will be new versions, but
    not on the quarterly scedule to which we had become accustomed.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Penang

    brucie Guest

    In
    netscape.public.mozilla.browser,alt.html,netscape.public.mozilla.general
    Penang said:

    > And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
    > these days.

    maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
    so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
    gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
    feel worse.

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Penang

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Penang" <> wrote in message
    >I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
    > So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
    >
    > Is it dead ?

    AFAIK 1.8 will not be released until perhaps Feb of 2005.

    C A Upsdell, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Penang

    Rickkins Guest

    The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
    attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

    MOZILLA FOREVER !!!!!!!!

    Rickkins, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Penang

    Ed Mullen Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > In
    > netscape.public.mozilla.browser,alt.html,netscape.public.mozilla.general
    > Penang said:
    >

    >>And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
    >>these days.

    > maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
    > so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
    > gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
    > feel worse.

    Huh? "... default gargantuan GUI ..."? When I toggle between Mozilla
    and FF they take up almost exactly the same screen real estate.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Penang wrote:
    > I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
    >
    > And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
    > these days.
    >
    > Look at the Mozilla Road Map www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html and
    > currently Mozilla is stucked at 1.8 Alpha 4
    >
    > ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/
    >
    > One look at Mozilla Status Page www.mozilla.org/status/ the last
    > update was May, 2004.
    >
    > So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
    >
    > Is it dead ?

    Not true I am using 1.8.a.5 nightly as I speak now.

    Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
    Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

    mailto:p

    <http://home.kimbanet.com/~pjones/birthday/index.htm>
    <http://vpea.exis.net>

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > brucie wrote:
    >
    >>In
    >>netscape.public.mozilla.browser,alt.html,netscape.public.mozilla.general
    >>Penang said:
    >>

    >>>And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
    >>>these days.

    >>maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
    >>so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
    >>gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
    >>feel worse.
    >>

    > Huh? "... default gargantuan GUI ..."? When I toggle between Mozilla
    > and FF they take up almost exactly the same screen real estate.

    actually if you account for the size of the icons used (mayb e
    customizable) Mozilla actually take up less space for the menubars than
    firefox.

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T, Nov 12, 2004
  9. Penang

    Ed Mullen said:

    >> maybe they're busy lightening it up a bit and optimizing the rendering
    >> so it doesn't feel so much like a slow heaver clunker. with the default
    >> gargantuan GUI taking up precious screen real estate it just makes it
    >> feel worse.

    > Huh? "... default gargantuan GUI ..."?

    my theory is fisher-price had staff cutbacks in their big and bubbly
    toy designs department (ages 3-7). some went to M$ and did the new big
    and bubbly XP GUI with an added touch of brightness (kiddies love bright
    things) and some did the big and bubbly mozilla GUI.

    > When I toggle between Mozilla and FF they take up almost exactly the
    > same screen real estate.

    they've managed to get out of the habit of 'bubbly' which lessen the
    impression of the big but they still looove big.

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 12, 2004
  10. Penang

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Rickkins <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
    > attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

    I agree. Why don't they just focus on mozilla instead?

    > MOZILLA FOREVER !!!!!!!!

    IE FOREVER!!!!

    Aquila Deus, Nov 15, 2004
  11. Penang

    CarlosRivera Guest

    How is mozilla 1.8.x looking?

    CarlosRivera, Nov 18, 2004
  12. CarlosRivera wrote:
    > How is mozilla 1.8.x looking?
    >
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >> Penang wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess everyone already know that FireFox 1.0 is out.
    >>>
    >>> And perhaps I'm just s-l-o-w, but I have no idea what Mozilla is doing
    >>> these days.
    >>>
    >>> Look at the Mozilla Road Map www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html and
    >>> currently Mozilla is stucked at 1.8 Alpha 4
    >>>
    >>> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/
    >>>
    >>> One look at Mozilla Status Page www.mozilla.org/status/ the last
    >>> update was May, 2004.
    >>>
    >>> So, what is going on with Mozilla ?
    >>>
    >>> Is it dead ?

    >> Not true I am using 1.8.a.5 nightly as I speak now.

    Looks great. on the surface not much has changed. But has become more
    reliable, faster.

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T, Nov 19, 2004
  13. Penang

    Penang Guest

    Regarding the bug in Thunderbird you mentioned, can you re-create the
    problem everytime ?

    If so, have you file a bug report in Bugzilla ?

    As users of opensourced programs, it is our duty to file bug reports
    when we find one, or else, how can the program become better ?

    Anyway, if you haven't file the bug report, please do so, as soon as
    possible.

    Thanks !!

    Penang, Nov 20, 2004
  14. Penang

    wayne Guest

    Aquila Deus wrote:
    > Rickkins <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
    >>attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

    > I agree. Why don't they just focus on mozilla instead?
    >

    >>MOZILLA FOREVER !!!!!!!!

    > IE FOREVER!!!!

    Boy! What a glutton for punishment!

    wayne, Dec 16, 2004
  15. Penang

    JeffTurner Guest

    wayne wrote:
    > Aquila Deus wrote:
    >
    >> Rickkins <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
    >>> attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

    >> I agree. Why don't they just focus on mozilla instead?
    >>

    >>> MOZILLA FOREVER !!!!!!!!

    >> IE FOREVER!!!!

    > Boy! What a glutton for punishment!

    Having tried all three browsers, Firefox is by far my favorite, so I
    think it deserves the recognition.

    JeffTurner, Dec 16, 2004
  16. In article <cpqttd$>,
    says...
    > >> IE FOREVER!!!!

    > > Boy! What a glutton for punishment!

    > Having tried all three browsers, Firefox is by far my favorite, so I
    > think it deserves the recognition.

    I have been an IE fan for years. But jumped ship with firefox. I love
    some of the development extensions especially "Developer" That and the
    tidy extensions that validates code.

    I cannot get it to work with Topstyle though. It will appear in the
    list of browsers to launch, but it never finds the page. IE, Mozilla
    and Netscape all work fine.

    And Tabbed browsing is the only way to go.
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 16, 2004
  17. Penang

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    >> The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
    >> attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

    That "ugly stepchild" is quite possibly the finest overall browser
    available.

    > I agree. Why don't they just focus on mozilla instead?

    'Fraid you're going to be disappointed as Mozilla moves forward. The
    plan is to at some point concentrate on the separate apps, and leave the
    suite behind.

    GOOD idea, IMO. Allows for more defined development on each, as well as
    greater individualization for the user (pick and choose your apps).

    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...

    Kevin Scholl, Dec 16, 2004
  18. Penang

    Oli Filth Guest

    Kevin Scholl wrote:

    >>> The problem is, the ugly stepchild(fireturd) is getting all the
    >>> attention these days. It's a huge mistake, imho.

    > That "ugly stepchild" is quite possibly the finest overall browser
    > available.

    Agreed. IMHO, out of the current major browsers, Firefox has:

    * The cleanest interface
    * The quickest operation
    * The most extensions
    * The best HTML and CSS compliance

    Oli

    Oli Filth, Dec 16, 2004
  19. Penang

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:

    > Agreed. IMHO, out of the current major browsers, Firefox has:
    >
    > * The quickest operation
    > * The best HTML and CSS compliance

    LMAO!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 16, 2004
  20. JeffTurner wrote:
    > wayne wrote:
    >
    >> Aquila Deus wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rickkins <> wrote in message

    >>> I agree. Why don't they just focus on mozilla instead?

    >>> IE FOREVER!!!!

    >> Boy! What a glutton for punishment!

    > Having tried all three browsers, Firefox is by far my favorite, so I
    > think it deserves the recognition.

    The only advantage I see for FireFox is the customizable menu.

    I'd like to see it in Moz but its not a deal breaker.

    And if I want to just quickly look up something on the Web, and I don't
    want to read mail. (Which might be once a month.)

    I just never have warmed up to the concept foisted upon us by Microsoft
    of needing one application for one thing and another, for another. When
    I see this in my mind I think of IE/OE.

    I don't care what one says the TB/FF combo reminds me of OE/IE and the
    thought makes me physically sick.

    And here we have the folks a Mozilla trying to foist the same concept
    down my throat. I keep hearing at some pont down the road Moz will be
    abandoned and you'll have to roll your own putting bits and pieces
    together and hope for the best.

    When I go on the Internet, I read and save my mail, I read my
    newsgroups. And, once I do this, I do my web surfing should I need to.

    If I see a mailto link in a URL I like simply clicking on it and I am
    instantly creating an email message. If I see a URL of interest in an
    email I go instantly to the URL. In either case I don't have to wait for
    another application to open and I don't take up more RAM by opening
    another another program.

    Also when I click on a mailto unlike in FF which opens Mozilla to a
    Blank URL page then pops open a blank email screen (ready to create the
    email). If I click on a Mailto in Mozilla it instantly goes to the blank
    email page. I've set the system properly to open TB in FF for Mailto:,
    But it always opens Mozilla.

    So if Moz is abandoned I guess I'll have to look around for an another
    all in one.

    <http://home.kimbanet.com/~pjones/90th_Birthday/index.htm>
    <http://vpea.exis.net>

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T, Dec 17, 2004