What is HTTP error code 423 "Locked"?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David W. Deley, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. What is HTTP error code 423 "Locked"? It happens when
    I attempt to access the robots.txt file:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/robots.txt

    Once in a rare while, maybe 1 in 50 times, it
    returns the usual 404 "File Not Found" code,
    but just about always it returns a 423 "Locked" code.

    Verizon tech support is incompetent. After an hour
    on the phone getting the issue elevated the highest
    person I was allowed to talk to didn't know what
    ASCII was or how to pronounce it. No one there
    understands why it is important for a web crawler
    to either access this file or determine that the file
    does not exist by receiveing a 404 "File Not Found"
    code.

    Verizon's answer is, "We don't understand what
    you're talking about so there is no problem.
    It's either not our problem, or it's not
    supported, or 423 is the correct code to
    return when a file doesn't exist."

    So even though I'm a systems programmer with
    a master's degree from UCSB, to them I'm just another
    stupid customer for them to dismiss.

    Where is some documentation on HTTP error code 423 "Locked"?

    David W. Deley, Jun 30, 2003

  2. David W. Deley

    Frogleg Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:42:31 GMT, "David W. Deley" <>
    wrote:
    >wizard wrote:
    >
    >> David W. Deley <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What is HTTP error code 423 "Locked"? It happens when
    >>>I attempt to access the robots.txt file:

    >> *First* http://www.google.com
    >> Second rfc2518

    >What is rfc2518?

    A reference to rec.food.cooking?

    Frogleg, Jun 30, 2003

  3. David W. Deley

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Jun 30, 2003
  4. In article <>, says...
    > wizard wrote:
    >
    > > David W. Deley <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>What is HTTP error code 423 "Locked"? It happens when
    > >>I attempt to access the robots.txt file:
    > >>
    > >>... I'm a systems programmer with
    > >> a master's degree from UCSB,

    > > *First* http://www.google.com
    > > Second rfc2518
    > >

    > What is rfc2518?

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2518.html

    What's UCSB? University of Cheap Scrolls By-email?

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jun 30, 2003
  5. David W. Deley

    Ernest Cline Guest

    RFC stands for Request For Comments and is the usual prefix given to
    standards documents put out by the IETF. (Internet Engineering Task Force)
    IETF put out RFC 1866 for HTML 2.0 and RFC 1945 for HTTP 1.0. While W3C
    took over the task of managing the HTML standards, IETF retains
    responsibility for HTTP (which makes sense as HTTP is a protocal for
    exhanging data over the internet whose only real connection to HTML is that
    HTML was the data type first carried by it.)

    RFC 2518 deals with some extensions to HTTP of which response code 423 is
    one of them. It indicates that the file has been locked so that someone can
    edit it. Why error code 423 is cropping up is another question entirely and
    not one I can answer.

    Ernest Cline, Jun 30, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:42:31 GMT, "David W. Deley" <>
    > wrote:
    > >wizard wrote:

    > >> *First* http://www.google.com
    > >> Second rfc2518

    > >What is rfc2518?

    > A reference to rec.food.cooking?

    No, you're thinking of RFC 451F.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jun 30, 2003
  7. Jacqui or (maybe) Pete wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:42:31 GMT, "David W. Deley" <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> What is rfc2518?

    >> A reference to rec.food.cooking?
    >>

    > No, you're thinking of RFC 451F.

    No, that's for paper. food is RFC 100C

    --
    William Tasso - http://www.WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jun 30, 2003
  8. David W. Deley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:16:33 +0100, Jacqui or (maybe) Pete
    <> wrote:

    >What's UCSB? University of Cheap Scrolls By-email?

    ROFL :cool:

    "UCSB - Where it's September All Year Round"

    Grandad, do you remember RFCs ?

    Andy Dingley, Jul 1, 2003