what is I want?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by code_wrong, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    I want a server side web page editor..

    Maybe I want a content management system? which resides on the server, and
    allows users who log in to add content .. a bit like bebo, myspace et al ..
    but with a bit more control over the layout etc
    and must be dead easy to use naturally
     
    code_wrong, Sep 15, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. code_wrong

    dorayme Guest

    In article <450afe1c$>,
    "code_wrong" <> wrote:

    > Maybe I want a content management system?


    May I? I was amused by the tale of a friend in the public service
    who relates how there is constant attempt to seek out such
    systems so that everyone in the organization can update the bits
    of the information on the website that is their speciality. We
    agreed that, in fact, it was simpler for such people to email the
    webmaster with the changes than to learn how to operate a content
    management package. And what is updated can actually impact on
    design questions which are definitely not in the skill range of
    the various bods on the various floors.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Sep 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. code_wrong

    code_wrong Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In article <450afe1c$>,
    > "code_wrong" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe I want a content management system?

    >
    > May I? I was amused by the tale of a friend in the public service
    > who relates how there is constant attempt to seek out such
    > systems so that everyone in the organization can update the bits
    > of the information on the website that is their speciality. We
    > agreed that, in fact, it was simpler for such people to email the
    > webmaster with the changes than to learn how to operate a content
    > management package. And what is updated can actually impact on
    > design questions which are definitely not in the skill range of
    > the various bods on the various floors.


    but .. is not bebo and myspace merely a CMS??
     
    code_wrong, Sep 17, 2006
    #3
  4. code_wrong

    David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >In article <450afe1c$>,
    > "code_wrong" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe I want a content management system?

    >
    >May I? I was amused by the tale of a friend in the public service
    >who relates how there is constant attempt to seek out such
    >systems so that everyone in the organization can update the bits
    >of the information on the website that is their speciality. We
    >agreed that, in fact, it was simpler for such people to email the
    >webmaster with the changes than to learn how to operate a content
    >management package.

    If the above is true then a computer program can read the incoming
    email and update the web site.
    > And what is updated can actually impact on
    >design questions which are definitely not in the skill range of
    >the various bods on the various floors.

    If this paragraph is true then the first paragraph is false but it
    makes a valid argument for restricting user updates.
     
    David Segall, Sep 17, 2006
    #4
  5. code_wrong

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <450afe1c$>,
    > > "code_wrong" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Maybe I want a content management system?

    > >
    > >May I? I was amused by the tale of a friend in the public service
    > >who relates how there is constant attempt to seek out such
    > >systems so that everyone in the organization can update the bits
    > >of the information on the website that is their speciality. We
    > >agreed that, in fact, it was simpler for such people to email the
    > >webmaster with the changes than to learn how to operate a content
    > >management package.


    > If the above is true then a computer program can read the incoming
    > email and update the web site.


    What is your point in saying this? I do not disagree with this
    last. But so what? What trap have I fallen into as a result?
    Perhaps you will explain. But if you do, please note that it is
    relevant to the point of my story that a program such as you
    mention must not be so hard to make and maintain that it is more
    costly and unwieldly on the whole in all its ramifications than
    having the website manager receive the emails and immediately vet
    the changes proposed, put them in unchanged, or adapt them with
    an eye on the overall effect on the website design, if necessary
    query the sender over glaring or other mistakes or other unhappy
    proposed changes. The point of the story is that a lot of
    managers in bureaucracies like the idea of CMS but it is often a
    utopian idea, not as practical as it seems.

    > > And what is updated can actually impact on
    > >design questions which are definitely not in the skill range of
    > >the various bods on the various floors.


    > If this paragraph is true then the first paragraph is false but it
    > makes a valid argument for restricting user updates.


    Sorry, I can't see this? How does it make the first para
    literally false?

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Sep 17, 2006
    #5
  6. code_wrong

    David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > David Segall <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <450afe1c$>,
    >> > "code_wrong" <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Maybe I want a content management system?
    >> >
    >> >May I? I was amused by the tale of a friend in the public service
    >> >who relates how there is constant attempt to seek out such
    >> >systems so that everyone in the organization can update the bits
    >> >of the information on the website that is their speciality. We
    >> >agreed that, in fact, it was simpler for such people to email the
    >> >webmaster with the changes than to learn how to operate a content
    >> >management package.

    >
    >> If the above is true then a computer program can read the incoming
    >> email and update the web site.

    >
    >What is your point in saying this? I do not disagree with this
    >last. But so what?

    After deep self examination :) I have to apologise. There was a
    subtext to my post and I should have made it explicit. Every time some
    computer gurus get together they tend to decide that their craft is
    too complicated for the ordinary user to grasp and they should
    interpose themselves. How can COBOL generate the efficient code that I
    can write in assembler? How can Dreamweaver generate the superb HTML
    that I can write using Notepad? If each employee has their own
    computer the sky will fall in; how can we make their computer look
    like a dumb terminal and control everything on the server?
    >What trap have I fallen into as a result?
    >Perhaps you will explain. But if you do, please note that it is
    >relevant to the point of my story that a program such as you
    >mention must not be so hard to make and maintain that it is more
    >costly and unwieldly on the whole in all its ramifications than
    >having the website manager receive the emails and immediately vet
    >the changes proposed, put them in unchanged, or adapt them with
    >an eye on the overall effect on the website design, if necessary
    >query the sender over glaring or other mistakes or other unhappy
    >proposed changes. The point of the story is that a lot of
    >managers in bureaucracies like the idea of CMS but it is often a
    >utopian idea, not as practical as it seems.

    If the web site manager needs to do all that then you are right.
    However, it is likely that these duties will go the way of the
    telephone switchboard operator and the typist. The volume of web based
    data will require that users can update the content and will result in
    more products like Adobe Contribute
    <http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/> and more web sites that
    simply serve documents written with the contributors' favourite
    editor.
    >
    >> > And what is updated can actually impact on
    >> >design questions which are definitely not in the skill range of
    >> >the various bods on the various floors.

    >
    >> If this paragraph is true then the first paragraph is false but it
    >> makes a valid argument for restricting user updates.

    >
    >Sorry, I can't see this? How does it make the first para
    >literally false?

    It does not. I hope that this post explains where I was coming from
    and fills in the details that should have been in my first response.
     
    David Segall, Sep 19, 2006
    #6
  7. code_wrong

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > The point of the story is that a lot of
    > >managers in bureaucracies like the idea of CMS but it is often a
    > >utopian idea, not as practical as it seems.



    > If the web site manager needs to do all that then you are right.
    > However, it is likely that these duties will go the way of the
    > telephone switchboard operator and the typist. The volume of web based
    > data will require that users can update the content and will result in
    > more products like Adobe Contribute
    > <http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/> and more web sites that
    > simply serve documents written with the contributors' favourite
    > editor.
    > >


    Some interesting thoughts here David. Big subject. I would like
    to get a perspective one day on some model for what we are
    talking here: what order of difficulty is the problem of how to
    get rid of website managers? Driverless cars? They have some
    driverless trains. And there have been some serious
    (passengerless!) trials of pilotless passenger planes going
    across the Atlantic. (I think it was Atlantic).

    I think one thing we can say is that those who are not the guinea
    pigs in these experiments have the advantage. Partly, my original
    story was about this point.

    > >> > And what is updated can actually impact on
    > >> >design questions which are definitely not in the skill range of
    > >> >the various bods on the various floors.


    > >> If this paragraph is true then the first paragraph is false but it
    > >> makes a valid argument for restricting user updates.

    > >


    > >Sorry, I can't see this? How does it make the first para
    > >literally false?


    > It does not. I hope that this post explains where I was coming from
    > and fills in the details that should have been in my first response.


    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Sep 19, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Trieu Anh Dung

    I want to know about .NET technology

    Trieu Anh Dung, Aug 6, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    999
    Anand N [MVP]
    Sep 12, 2004
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    574
  3. usao
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    758
    Allan Herriman
    Apr 14, 2004
  4. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    182
    Ted Zlatanov
    Sep 13, 2006
  5. pavi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,395
Loading...

Share This Page