What is it: a file with extension .ico

Oak Pond

There is a file listed in the Webalizer statistics page for my web
site. Its extension is .ico. It says the file has received a number
of hits. I've never created such a file, let alone uploaded it to the
web site. But why is this file listed in the statistics page? What is
it? Information is appreciated.

David Dorward

Oak said:
There is a file listed in the Webalizer statistics page for my web
site. Its extension is .ico. It says the file has received a number
of hits. I've never created such a file, let alone uploaded it to the
web site. But why is this file listed in the statistics page? What is
it? Information is appreciated.

favicon.ico?

Browsers look for it to get an icon for the page, google has a lot of
infomation on the subject.

The hits might be getting 404 errors or your service provider may have
provided one by default.

Philip

Oak Pond said:
There is a file listed in the Webalizer statistics page for my web
site. Its extension is .ico. It says the file has received a number
of hits. I've never created such a file, let alone uploaded it to the
web site. But why is this file listed in the statistics page? What is
it? Information is appreciated.

Google is your friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Leonard Blaisdell

Oak Pond said:
Thank all for information. Yes, the file's name is favicon.ico. An
icon appears in front of all my web pages at url. I guess it is the
default of the web server.

Create your own and dazzle your friends! Simply create a .ico file in
your favorite graphics program that can create .ico format. Then name it
favicon.ico, and replace the default one. Put a skull and crossbones
there, or a pair of lips, or a big eye, or a car, or a stick figure, or
anything you can think of in a limited pixel format. You could have fun
with this.

leo