What is java.vm.version 14.1-b02?

markspace

Can anyone tell me what java.vm.version-14.1.b02 means? I'm having some
odd issues here (graphic anomalies in Swing) which don't occur on
another VM, and I wonder if the version I'm using is messed up.

Here's a properties dump of the messed up one. What does that
vm.version mean?

(Just FYI, the one that works appears to be the JVM in the SDK. The JRE
in jre6 appears to be the messed up one.)

-- listing properties --
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
java.vm.version=14.1-b02
java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
path.separator=;
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
user.country=US
sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 2
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_15-b03
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed
os.arch=x86
java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
os.name=Windows Vista
sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
java.library.path=c:\Windows\system32;.;C:\Windows\Sun\...
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.class.version=50.0
sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
os.version=6.0
java.specification.version=1.6
java.vm.specification.version=1.0
sun.arch.data.model=32
java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
user.language=en
awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
java.version=1.6.0_15
java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext;C:...
sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\resour...
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
sun.cpu.endian=little
sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
sun.desktop=windows
sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...

markspace

markspace said:
Can anyone tell me what java.vm.version-14.1.b02 means? I'm having some
odd issues here (graphic anomalies in Swing) which don't occur on
another VM, and I wonder if the version I'm using is messed up.

Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
the blue lines don't appear.

package scrolltest;

import java.awt.Color;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JPanel;
import javax.swing.JScrollPane;
import javax.swing.JTextArea;
import javax.swing.SwingUtilities;
import javax.swing.border.MatteBorder;

/** This short program creates artifacts on the screen when used with
* Java version 14.1-b0 (that's JRE runtime 1.6.0_15-b03). It does not
* create artifact when used with my JDK runtime, version 1.6.0-b105
* (which is runtime 1.6.0-b105). Windows Vista Ultimate, SP 2.
*
* The artifacts are one pixel blue lines in the left-hand margin, next
* to the grey border. To make them appear, move the scroll bar thumb
* up and down quickly. Once or twice is all it should take.
*
* @author markspace @ live dot com
*/
public class ScrollTest {

private static final String LOREM_IPSUM =
"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed "+
"do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. "+
"Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco "+
"laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.\n\n\n";

private static final int REPEAT_TEXT = 75;

/** Run this to see Java runtime bugs */
System.getProperties().list(System.out);

SwingUtilities.invokeLater( new Runnable() {
public void run() {
createAndShowGui();
}
} );
}

private static void createAndShowGui() {
JFrame frame = new JFrame("Scroll Test");
JTextArea text = new JTextArea( 30, 50 );
for( int i = 0; i < REPEAT_TEXT; i++ ){
text.append( LOREM_IPSUM );
}
text.setLineWrap( true );
text.setWrapStyleWord( true );
text.setEditable( false );
text.setCaretPosition( 0 );
text.getPreferredScrollableViewportSize();
JScrollPane scrollPane = new JScrollPane( text );
scrollPane.setHorizontalScrollBarPolicy(
JScrollPane.HORIZONTAL_SCROLLBAR_NEVER );
scrollPane.setViewportBorder( new MatteBorder( 10, 10, 10, 10,
new Color( 224, 224, 224) ) );
JPanel panel = new JPanel();
panel.add( scrollPane );
frame.add( panel );

frame.setDefaultCloseOperation( JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE );
frame.pack();
frame.setLocationRelativeTo( null );
frame.setVisible( true );

John B. Matthews

markspace said:
Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
the blue lines don't appear.

No blue lines on Mac OS X 10.5.8 for these two runtimes:

java.vm.version=11.3-b02-83
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_13-b03-211

java.vm.version=1.5.0_19-137
java.runtime.version=1.5.0_19-b02-304

[...]

Knute Johnson

John said:
markspace said:
Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
the blue lines don't appear.

No blue lines on Mac OS X 10.5.8 for these two runtimes:

java.vm.version=11.3-b02-83
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_13-b03-211

java.vm.version=1.5.0_19-137
java.runtime.version=1.5.0_19-b02-304

[...]

I'm not seeing on XP/SP3 either.

C:\Documents and Settings\Knute Johnson>java ScrollTest
-- listing properties --
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
java.vm.version=14.1-b02
java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
path.separator=;
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
user.country=US
sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 3
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
user.dir=C:\Documents and Settings\Knute Johnson
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_15-b03
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed
os.arch=x86
java.io.tmpdir=C:\DOCUME~1\KNUTEJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\
line.separator=

java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
user.variant=
os.name=Windows XP
sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
java.library.path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;.;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\...
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.class.version=50.0
sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
os.version=5.1
user.home=C:\Documents and Settings\Knute Johnson
user.timezone=
java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
file.encoding=Cp1252
java.specification.version=1.6
user.name=Knute Johnson
java.class.path=.;.;C:\PROGRA~1\JMF21~1.1E\lib\sound....
java.vm.specification.version=1.0
sun.arch.data.model=32
java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
user.language=en
awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
java.version=1.6.0_15
java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext;C:...
sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\resour...
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
file.separator=\
java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
sun.cpu.endian=little
sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
sun.desktop=windows
sun.cpu.isalist=

markspace

I'm not seeing on XP/SP3 either.

Thanks for checking this. I'll try to wait to see if someone with Vista
can test it before I send a bug report. Maybe it's just with my system
somehow.

Roedy Green

Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
the blue lines don't appear.

I ran it on Vista Home premium under 1.6.0_16.

No sign of any artifacts.

It may be a bug in your video driver that Sun's code is not dodging.

See if there is an update.

Try it on another machine with a different video card.

java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
java.vm.version=14.2-b01
java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
path.separator=;
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
user.country=CA
sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 2
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
user.dir=E:\exper
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_16-b01
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
java.endorsed.dirs=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
os.arch=x86
java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\roedy\AppData\Local\Temp\
line.separator=

java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
user.variant=
os.name=Windows Vista
sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
java.library.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\bin...
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.class.version=50.0
sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
os.version=6.0
user.home=C:\Users\roedy
user.timezone=
java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
file.encoding=Cp1252
java.specification.version=1.6
user.name=roedy
java.class.path=.;E:\;E:\exper;C:\Program Files\Java\...
java.vm.specification.version=1.0
sun.arch.data.model=32
java.home=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre
java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
user.language=en
awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
java.version=1.6.0_16
java.ext.dirs=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
sun.boot.class.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
file.separator=\
java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
sun.cpu.endian=little
sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
sun.desktop=windows
sun.cpu.isalist=

That list should be sorted, not just by you, but by Sun.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
~ Red Adair (born: 1915-06-18 died: 2004-08-07 at age: 89)

Andreas Leitgeb

java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...

Roedy, you sure intended to help, but the OP specifically
mentioned "JRE", and that "JDK" works ok even there.

to the OP:

I tried with
sun.boot.library.path=/opt/inst/java/jre1.6.0_16/lib/i386
java.vm.version=14.2-b01
but on Linux and cannot find these artifacts there.

However, the scrollbuttons (both up and down) appear to have
one pixel missing from their border.

According to sun, 1.6.0_15 and _16 differ only by timezone-data,
but nevertheless they seem to have bumped the vm-version.

Roedy Green

Roedy, you sure intended to help, but the OP specifically
mentioned "JRE", and that "JDK" works ok even there.

This is peculiar. I typed just plain java.exe which I though is
supposed to use the C: JRE bundled with the JDK, not the public JRE
inside the JDK.

The Java control panel just shows the C: JRE enabled.

I still don't get any artifacts when I explicitly invoke the Java.exe
in the C: JRE

-- listing properties --
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
java.vm.version=14.2-b01
java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
path.separator=;
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
user.country=CA
sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 2
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
user.dir=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_16-b01
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed
os.arch=x86
java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\roedy\AppData\Local\Temp\
line.separator=

java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
user.variant=
os.name=Windows Vista
sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
java.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;.;C:\W...
[...]

Lew

Roedy said:
This is peculiar. I typed just plain java.exe which I though is
supposed to use the C: JRE bundled with the JDK, not the public JRE
inside the JDK.

The Java control panel just shows the C: JRE enabled.

I still don't get any artifacts when I explicitly invoke the Java.exe
in the C: JRE

The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
was a red herring.

markspace

Lew said:
The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that
argument was a red herring.

Maybe not as much as you'd think. I actually found this doing exactly
what Roedy did. The sample works fine in my IDE, which runs the JVM
from the JDK. But when run outside my IDE, the system picks up the
java.exe file in my /System/Windows/ directory, which happens to be the
JRE version, and they do different things.

Anyway, this might be too rare to bother Sun with, and if others aren't
seeing it, well that was my primary concern, that my code had a bug that
others would see.

Thanks again for checking this out for me.

Roedy Green

The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
was a red herring.

139,264 java.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
~ Red Adair (born: 1915-06-18 died: 2004-08-07 at age: 89)

Roedy Green

The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
was a red herring.

They are different. The evidence:

C:\Windows\System32\java.exe
[ 145,184 bytes ]

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
[ 145,184 bytes JRE ]

J:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre\bin\java.exe
[ 139,264 bytes JDK ]

the C: version does not understand -server option, the J: version
does.

The 145,184 byte version checks the registry to figure out which
java.exe to use.

What is the equivalent set of files/directories for Linux? I would
like to document its scheme under
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html#MULTIPLES

--

markspace said:
Maybe not as much as you'd think. I actually found this doing exactly
what Roedy did. The sample works fine in my IDE, which runs the JVM
from the JDK. But when run outside my IDE, the system picks up the
java.exe file in my /System/Windows/ directory, which happens to be the
JRE version, and they do different things.

Anyway, this might be too rare to bother Sun with, and if others aren't
seeing it, well that was my primary concern, that my code had a bug that
others would see.

And you are certain that the C:/System/Windows/java.exe is from the same
version as your JDK?

Lew

Roedy said:
The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
was a red herring.

They are different. The evidence:

C:\Windows\System32\java.exe
[ 145,184 bytes ]

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
[ 145,184 bytes JRE ]

J:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre\bin\java.exe
[ 139,264 bytes JDK ]

the C: version does not understand -server option, the J: version
does.

The 145,184 byte version checks the registry to figure out which
java.exe to use.

What is the equivalent set of files/directories for Linux? I would
like to document its scheme under
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html#MULTIPLES

That all depends, just like it does on Windows. It goes wherever you tell the
installer to install it on Windows. It goes where I "mv" the unpacked tarball
on Linux.

In my particular Linux installation that would be, e.g.,
/opt/java/jdk1.6.0_16
/opt/java/jre1.6.0_16

$ cd /opt/java
$ ls -l jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java jdk1.6.0_16/jre/bin/java jre1.6.0_16/bin/java
-rwxr-xr-x 1 foo foo 50810 2009-07-31 09:58 jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java
-rwxr-xr-x 1 foo foo 50810 2009-07-31 09:58 jdk1.6.0_16/jre/bin/java
-rwxr-xr-x 1 foo foo 50810 2009-07-31 09:58 jre1.6.0_16/bin/java
$ diff jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java jdk1.6.0_16/jre/bin/java
$ echo $?
0
$ diff jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java jre1.6.0_16/bin/java
$ echo $?
0
$

I have a symlink /opt/java/java that points to the latest or preferred
JAVA_HOME directory.