What is java.vm.version 14.1-b02?

Discussion in 'Java' started by markspace, Aug 13, 2009.

  1. markspace

    markspace Guest

    Can anyone tell me what java.vm.version-14.1.b02 means? I'm having some
    odd issues here (graphic anomalies in Swing) which don't occur on
    another VM, and I wonder if the version I'm using is messed up.

    Here's a properties dump of the messed up one. What does that
    vm.version mean?

    (Just FYI, the one that works appears to be the JVM in the SDK. The JRE
    in jre6 appears to be the messed up one.)

    -- listing properties --
    java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
    sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
    java.vm.version=14.1-b02
    java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
    path.separator=;
    java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
    user.country=US
    sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
    sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 2
    java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
    java.runtime.version=1.6.0_15-b03
    java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
    java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed
    os.arch=x86
    java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    os.name=Windows Vista
    sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
    java.library.path=c:\Windows\system32;.;C:\Windows\Sun\...
    java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
    java.class.version=50.0
    sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
    os.version=6.0
    java.specification.version=1.6
    java.vm.specification.version=1.0
    sun.arch.data.model=32
    java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
    java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    user.language=en
    awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
    java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
    java.version=1.6.0_15
    java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext;C:...
    sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\resour...
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    sun.cpu.endian=little
    sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
    sun.desktop=windows
    sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...

    markspace, Aug 13, 2009

  2. markspace

    markspace Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what java.vm.version-14.1.b02 means? I'm having some
    > odd issues here (graphic anomalies in Swing) which don't occur on
    > another VM, and I wonder if the version I'm using is messed up.

    Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
    to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
    in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
    scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
    version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
    the blue lines don't appear.

    package scrolltest;

    import java.awt.Color;
    import javax.swing.JFrame;
    import javax.swing.JPanel;
    import javax.swing.JScrollPane;
    import javax.swing.JTextArea;
    import javax.swing.SwingUtilities;
    import javax.swing.border.MatteBorder;

    /** This short program creates artifacts on the screen when used with
    * Java version 14.1-b0 (that's JRE runtime 1.6.0_15-b03). It does not
    * create artifact when used with my JDK runtime, version 1.6.0-b105
    * (which is runtime 1.6.0-b105). Windows Vista Ultimate, SP 2.
    *
    * The artifacts are one pixel blue lines in the left-hand margin, next
    * to the grey border. To make them appear, move the scroll bar thumb
    * up and down quickly. Once or twice is all it should take.
    *
    * @author markspace @ live dot com
    */
    public class ScrollTest {

    private static final String LOREM_IPSUM =
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed "+
    "do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. "+
    "Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco "+
    "laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.\n\n\n";

    private static final int REPEAT_TEXT = 75;

    /** Run this to see Java runtime bugs */
    System.getProperties().list(System.out);

    SwingUtilities.invokeLater( new Runnable() {
    public void run() {
    createAndShowGui();
    }
    } );
    }

    private static void createAndShowGui() {
    JFrame frame = new JFrame("Scroll Test");
    JTextArea text = new JTextArea( 30, 50 );
    for( int i = 0; i < REPEAT_TEXT; i++ ){
    text.append( LOREM_IPSUM );
    }
    text.setLineWrap( true );
    text.setWrapStyleWord( true );
    text.setEditable( false );
    text.setCaretPosition( 0 );
    text.getPreferredScrollableViewportSize();
    JScrollPane scrollPane = new JScrollPane( text );
    scrollPane.setHorizontalScrollBarPolicy(
    JScrollPane.HORIZONTAL_SCROLLBAR_NEVER );
    scrollPane.setViewportBorder( new MatteBorder( 10, 10, 10, 10,
    new Color( 224, 224, 224) ) );
    JPanel panel = new JPanel();
    panel.add( scrollPane );
    frame.add( panel );

    frame.setDefaultCloseOperation( JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE );
    frame.pack();
    frame.setLocationRelativeTo( null );
    frame.setVisible( true );

    markspace, Aug 13, 2009

  3. In article <h60197$nq9$-september.org>,
    markspace <> wrote:

    > markspace wrote:
    > > Can anyone tell me what java.vm.version-14.1.b02 means? I'm having some
    > > odd issues here (graphic anomalies in Swing) which don't occur on
    > > another VM, and I wonder if the version I'm using is messed up.

    > Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
    > to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
    > in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
    > scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
    > version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
    > the blue lines don't appear.

    No blue lines on Mac OS X 10.5.8 for these two runtimes:

    java.vm.version=11.3-b02-83
    java.runtime.version=1.6.0_13-b03-211

    java.vm.version=1.5.0_19-137
    java.runtime.version=1.5.0_19-b02-304

    [...]
    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com

    John B. Matthews, Aug 13, 2009
  4. John B. Matthews wrote:
    > In article <h60197$nq9$-september.org>,
    > markspace <> wrote:
    >
    >> markspace wrote:
    >>> Can anyone tell me what java.vm.version-14.1.b02 means? I'm having some
    >>> odd issues here (graphic anomalies in Swing) which don't occur on
    >>> another VM, and I wonder if the version I'm using is messed up.

    >> Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
    >> to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
    >> in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
    >> scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
    >> version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
    >> the blue lines don't appear.

    > No blue lines on Mac OS X 10.5.8 for these two runtimes:
    >
    > java.vm.version=11.3-b02-83
    > java.runtime.version=1.6.0_13-b03-211
    >
    > java.vm.version=1.5.0_19-137
    > java.runtime.version=1.5.0_19-b02-304
    >
    > [...]

    I'm not seeing on XP/SP3 either.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Knute Johnson>java ScrollTest
    -- listing properties --
    java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
    sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
    java.vm.version=14.1-b02
    java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
    path.separator=;
    java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
    user.country=US
    sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
    sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 3
    java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
    user.dir=C:\Documents and Settings\Knute Johnson
    java.runtime.version=1.6.0_15-b03
    java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
    java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed
    os.arch=x86
    java.io.tmpdir=C:\DOCUME~1\KNUTEJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\
    line.separator=

    java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    user.variant=
    os.name=Windows XP
    sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
    java.library.path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;.;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\...
    java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
    java.class.version=50.0
    sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
    os.version=5.1
    user.home=C:\Documents and Settings\Knute Johnson
    user.timezone=
    java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
    file.encoding=Cp1252
    java.specification.version=1.6
    user.name=Knute Johnson
    java.class.path=.;.;C:\PROGRA~1\JMF21~1.1E\lib\sound....
    java.vm.specification.version=1.0
    sun.arch.data.model=32
    java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
    java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    user.language=en
    awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
    java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
    java.version=1.6.0_15
    java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext;C:...
    sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\resour...
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    file.separator=\
    java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
    sun.cpu.endian=little
    sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
    sun.desktop=windows
    sun.cpu.isalist=

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2009/

    Knute Johnson, Aug 13, 2009
  5. markspace

    markspace Guest

    Knute Johnson wrote:

    > John B. Matthews wrote:
    >>
    >> No blue lines on Mac OS X 10.5.8 for these two runtimes:

    > I'm not seeing on XP/SP3 either.

    Thanks for checking this. I'll try to wait to see if someone with Vista
    can test it before I send a bug report. Maybe it's just with my system
    somehow.

    markspace, Aug 13, 2009
  6. markspace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:20:10 -0700, markspace <>

    >Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
    >to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
    >in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
    >scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
    >version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
    >the blue lines don't appear.

    I ran it on Vista Home premium under 1.6.0_16.

    No sign of any artifacts.

    It may be a bug in your video driver that Sun's code is not dodging.

    See if there is an update.

    Try it on another machine with a different video card.

    java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
    sun.boot.library.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
    java.vm.version=14.2-b01
    java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
    path.separator=;
    java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
    user.country=CA
    sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
    sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 2
    java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
    user.dir=E:\exper
    java.runtime.version=1.6.0_16-b01
    java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
    java.endorsed.dirs=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
    os.arch=x86
    java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\roedy\AppData\Local\Temp\
    line.separator=

    java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    user.variant=
    os.name=Windows Vista
    sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
    java.library.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\bin...
    java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
    java.class.version=50.0
    sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
    os.version=6.0
    user.home=C:\Users\roedy
    user.timezone=
    java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
    file.encoding=Cp1252
    java.specification.version=1.6
    user.name=roedy
    java.class.path=.;E:\;E:\exper;C:\Program Files\Java\...
    java.vm.specification.version=1.0
    sun.arch.data.model=32
    java.home=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre
    java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    user.language=en
    awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
    java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
    java.version=1.6.0_16
    java.ext.dirs=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
    sun.boot.class.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    file.separator=\
    java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
    sun.cpu.endian=little
    sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
    sun.desktop=windows
    sun.cpu.isalist=

    That list should be sorted, not just by you, but by Sun.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    ~ Red Adair (born: 1915-06-18 died: 2004-08-07 at age: 89)

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009
  7. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:20:10 -0700, markspace <>
    >>Before I send this off to Sun with a bug report, could some else check
    >>to see if they can reproduce the problem? I'm getting thin blue lines
    >>in the left hand margin, next to the grey border, when the JTextArea is
    >>scrolled. On my system, this requires the JRE to see (which is the
    >>version mentioned above). If I use the JDK version of the java command,
    >>the blue lines don't appear.

    > java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
    > sun.boot.library.path=E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre...

    Roedy, you sure intended to help, but the OP specifically
    mentioned "JRE", and that "JDK" works ok even there.

    to the OP:

    I tried with
    sun.boot.library.path=/opt/inst/java/jre1.6.0_16/lib/i386
    java.vm.version=14.2-b01
    but on Linux and cannot find these artifacts there.

    However, the scrollbuttons (both up and down) appear to have
    one pixel missing from their border.

    According to sun, 1.6.0_15 and _16 differ only by timezone-data,
    but nevertheless they seem to have bumped the vm-version.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Aug 13, 2009
  8. markspace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 13 Aug 2009 09:02:17 GMT, Andreas Leitgeb
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Roedy, you sure intended to help, but the OP specifically
    >mentioned "JRE", and that "JDK" works ok even there.

    This is peculiar. I typed just plain java.exe which I though is
    supposed to use the C: JRE bundled with the JDK, not the public JRE
    inside the JDK.

    The Java control panel just shows the C: JRE enabled.

    I still don't get any artifacts when I explicitly invoke the Java.exe
    in the C: JRE

    -- listing properties --
    java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
    sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
    java.vm.version=14.2-b01
    java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
    path.separator=;
    java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
    file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
    user.country=CA
    sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
    sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 2
    java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
    user.dir=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin
    java.runtime.version=1.6.0_16-b01
    java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
    java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\endorsed
    os.arch=x86
    java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\roedy\AppData\Local\Temp\
    line.separator=

    java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    user.variant=
    os.name=Windows Vista
    sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
    java.library.path=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin;.;C:\W...

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009
  9. markspace

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On 13 Aug 2009 09:02:17 GMT, Andreas Leitgeb
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    > someone who said :
    >
    >> Roedy, you sure intended to help, but the OP specifically
    >> mentioned "JRE", and that "JDK" works ok even there.

    > This is peculiar. I typed just plain java.exe which I though is
    > supposed to use the C: JRE bundled with the JDK, not the public JRE
    > inside the JDK.
    >
    > The Java control panel just shows the C: JRE enabled.
    >
    > I still don't get any artifacts when I explicitly invoke the Java.exe
    > in the C: JRE

    The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
    was a red herring.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 13, 2009
  10. markspace

    markspace Guest

    Lew wrote:

    > The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that
    > argument was a red herring.

    Maybe not as much as you'd think. I actually found this doing exactly
    what Roedy did. The sample works fine in my IDE, which runs the JVM
    from the JDK. But when run outside my IDE, the system picks up the
    java.exe file in my /System/Windows/ directory, which happens to be the
    JRE version, and they do different things.

    Anyway, this might be too rare to bother Sun with, and if others aren't
    seeing it, well that was my primary concern, that my code had a bug that
    others would see.

    Thanks again for checking this out for me.

    markspace, Aug 13, 2009
  11. markspace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:45:45 -0400, Lew <> wrote,

    >The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
    >was a red herring.

    139,264 java.exe

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009
  12. markspace

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:45:45 -0400, Lew <> wrote,

    >The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
    >was a red herring.

    They are different. The evidence:

    C:\Windows\System32\java.exe
    [ 145,184 bytes ]

    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    [ 145,184 bytes JRE ]

    J:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre\bin\java.exe
    [ 139,264 bytes JDK ]

    the C: version does not understand -server option, the J: version
    does.

    The 145,184 byte version checks the registry to figure out which
    java.exe to use.

    What is the equivalent set of files/directories for Linux? I would
    like to document its scheme under
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html#MULTIPLES

    Roedy Green, Aug 13, 2009
  13. markspace

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >

    >> The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that
    >> argument was a red herring.
    >>

    > Maybe not as much as you'd think. I actually found this doing exactly
    > what Roedy did. The sample works fine in my IDE, which runs the JVM
    > from the JDK. But when run outside my IDE, the system picks up the
    > java.exe file in my /System/Windows/ directory, which happens to be the
    > JRE version, and they do different things.
    >
    > Anyway, this might be too rare to bother Sun with, and if others aren't
    > seeing it, well that was my primary concern, that my code had a bug that
    > others would see.

    And you are certain that the C:/System/Windows/java.exe is from the same
    version as your JDK?

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 14, 2009
  14. markspace

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:45:45 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    >
    >> The 'java' command is the same in both the JDK and the JRE, so that argument
    >> was a red herring.

    > They are different. The evidence:
    >
    > C:\Windows\System32\java.exe
    > [ 145,184 bytes ]
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    > [ 145,184 bytes JRE ]
    >
    > J:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_16\jre\bin\java.exe
    > [ 139,264 bytes JDK ]
    >
    > the C: version does not understand -server option, the J: version
    > does.
    >

    > The 145,184 byte version checks the registry to figure out which
    > java.exe to use.
    >

    > What is the equivalent set of files/directories for Linux? I would
    > like to document its scheme under
    > http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html#MULTIPLES

    That all depends, just like it does on Windows. It goes wherever you tell the
    installer to install it on Windows. It goes where I "mv" the unpacked tarball
    on Linux.

    In my particular Linux installation that would be, e.g.,
    /opt/java/jdk1.6.0_16
    /opt/java/jre1.6.0_16

    $ cd /opt/java
    $ ls -l jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java jdk1.6.0_16/jre/bin/java jre1.6.0_16/bin/java
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 foo foo 50810 2009-07-31 09:58 jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 foo foo 50810 2009-07-31 09:58 jdk1.6.0_16/jre/bin/java
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 foo foo 50810 2009-07-31 09:58 jre1.6.0_16/bin/java
    $ diff jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java jdk1.6.0_16/jre/bin/java
    $ echo $?
    0
    $ diff jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java jre1.6.0_16/bin/java
    $ echo $?
    0
    $

    I have a symlink /opt/java/java that points to the latest or preferred
    JAVA_HOME directory.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Aug 14, 2009