    working on atm but I can't remember :(

    Cheers

    Simon

    Simon Middlemiss, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Wim Hollebrandse, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Todd Mollerup, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Hi Simon,

    Based on my research and experience, the following URL is useful to this
    issue.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/dotnet/runnin
    gondotnet.mspx
    "...
    Content developers can use .NET technologies to create XML-based content
    that is easily sharable between workgroups and Web sites. The Microsoft.com
    Web content development team built the Windows Server 2003 product site,
    using XML and XML Web services in order to showcase the .NET functionality
    in Windows Server. You can identify XML-based pages on Microsoft.com by
    their .mspx file extension, rather than the more common .htm, .html, or
    ..asp extensions used by other Microsoft.com pages. One benefit to XML-pages
    is that XML templates and schemas are easier to work with when localizing
    Web content for other languages. A single schema can be reused by several
    international Web sites.
    ..."

    Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 29, 2003
  5. "Jacob Yang [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Simon,
    >
    > Based on my research and experience, the following URL is useful to this
    > issue.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/dotnet/runnin
    > gondotnet.mspx
    > "...
    > Content developers can use .NET technologies to create XML-based content
    > that is easily sharable between workgroups and Web sites. The

    Microsoft.com
    > Web content development team built the Windows Server 2003 product site,
    > using XML and XML Web services in order to showcase the .NET functionality
    > in Windows Server. You can identify XML-based pages on Microsoft.com by
    > their .mspx file extension, rather than the more common .htm, .html, or
    > asp extensions used by other Microsoft.com pages. One benefit to XML-pages
    > is that XML templates and schemas are easier to work with when localizing
    > Web content for other languages. A single schema can be reused by several
    > international Web sites.
    > .."
    >
    > Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
    > feel free to let me know.

    Jacob,

    I don't know if it answers Simon's question, but it doesn't answer mine. :)

    Could you please provide us with the information necessary to create and
    deploy .mspx pages?

    Thanks.
    --
    John

    John Saunders, Oct 29, 2003
  6. > Jacob,

    > I don't know if it answers Simon's question, but it doesn't answer mine.

    :)

    > Could you please provide us with the information necessary to create and
    > deploy .mspx pages?

    No it didn't answer my question either! From what I remember from my
    conversation it is something internal to microsoft that they don't want to
    publish to others. The guy I was speaking to had basically reinvented it
    for his company. I still haven't had a reply from him, but when I do I'll
    let you know. It sounds like a lot of people would find this interesting.

    Cheers

    Simon

    Simon Middlemiss, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Hi Bob,

    You are right that this is the internal information. As a Microsoft
    employee, I cannot deliver Microsoft internal information here. Thank you
    for your understanding.

    Anyway, I would like to share the following information with you.

    The MSPX file is mapped to the same ASP.NET engine as the .aspx extension,
    but it is mapped to a different handler factory in machine.config. Whereas
    the .aspx extension is mapped to System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory which is
    responsible for creating System.Web.UI.Page objects, the .mspx extension is
    mapped to the MNP page handler factory which is responsible for creating
    MNP page objects that render pages based on XML documents and XSLT
    templates.

    For the information of MNP (Microsoft.com Network Project), please refer to
    the following URL.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/dotnet/builds
    ite.mspx
    "...
    The Microsoft.com Network Project: Bringing it all Together
    Developers used the .NET Framework to build a new application that plays a
    key role in integrating and unifying content from various content sources
    as well as XML Web services. Built in ASP.NET, this internal tool known as
    the Microsoft.com Network Project (MNP) is responsible for substantially
    boosting performance levels..."

    I hope it helps.

    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 31, 2003
  8. > Hi Bob,

    > You are right that this is the internal information. As a Microsoft
    > employee, I cannot deliver Microsoft internal information here. Thank you
    > for your understanding.
    >
    > Anyway, I would like to share the following information with you.
    >
    > The MSPX file is mapped to the same ASP.NET engine as the .aspx extension,
    > but it is mapped to a different handler factory in machine.config.

    Whereas
    > the .aspx extension is mapped to System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory which is
    > responsible for creating System.Web.UI.Page objects, the .mspx extension

    is
    > mapped to the MNP page handler factory which is responsible for creating
    > MNP page objects that render pages based on XML documents and XSLT
    > templates.

    My name is Simon and no Bob has replied in this thread but never mind!! :)

    Ok, that has at least given me something to go on. If you can't tell us
    anything about it, can you at least give us an indication as to why
    Microsoft are being so secretive about, what I feel, could be ground
    breaking technology?

    Cheers

    Simon

    Simon Middlemiss, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Hi Simon,

    I am truly sorry for my mistake of your name. I was misleaded by the email
    address - .

    For the question of "why Microsoft are being so secretive", as a common
    support engineer of Microsoft, I cannot give you a specific answer. Thank
    you for your understanding.

    If you want to dig into this issue, please try the following channels.

    1. Please try to send your feedback to Microsoft directly.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=cntactms
    "...
    Microsoft Wish

    Make a product suggestion or feature request. Product enhancement
    suggestions can include:
    Improvements on existing products
    ..."

    2. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services. It would be quick and
    effective with direct assistance from a Microsoft Support Professional.

    Microsoft support home page: http://support.microsoft.com.
    To view support options:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top.
    To submit an online request: