What is MSPX

Simon Middlemiss

I was having a conversation with a friend at the weekend over a few pints of
beer and he was talking to me about mspx pages. From what I can remember
from the alcohol driven haze they were some sort of proprietory xml driven
container. Does anyone have anymore info on this because I found it
interesting and I am sure I thought it would be applicable to what I am
working on atm but I can't remember :(

Cheers

Simon

Wim Hollebrandse

As far as I'm aware, Microsoft uses this extension on some on their sites. My guess is that this extension simply maps to the ASPNET ISAPI DLL in the IIS mappings, and as such contains normal ASP.NET code.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Wim Hollebrandse
http://www.wimdows.net
http://www.wimdows.com

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Based on my research and experience, the following URL is useful to this
issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/dotnet/runnin
gondotnet.mspx
"...
Content developers can use .NET technologies to create XML-based content
that is easily sharable between workgroups and Web sites. The Microsoft.com
Web content development team built the Windows Server 2003 product site,
using XML and XML Web services in order to showcase the .NET functionality
in Windows Server. You can identify XML-based pages on Microsoft.com by
their .mspx file extension, rather than the more common .htm, .html, or
..asp extensions used by other Microsoft.com pages. One benefit to XML-pages
is that XML templates and schemas are easier to work with when localizing
Web content for other languages. A single schema can be reused by several
international Web sites.
..."

Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

John Saunders

Jacob Yang said:
[...]

.."

Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
feel free to let me know.

Jacob,

I don't know if it answers Simon's question, but it doesn't answer mine. :)

Could you please provide us with the information necessary to create and
deploy .mspx pages?

Thanks.

Simon Middlemiss

Jacob,
I don't know if it answers Simon's question, but it doesn't answer mine. :)

Could you please provide us with the information necessary to create and
deploy .mspx pages?

No it didn't answer my question either! From what I remember from my
conversation it is something internal to microsoft that they don't want to
publish to others. The guy I was speaking to had basically reinvented it
for his company. I still haven't had a reply from him, but when I do I'll
let you know. It sounds like a lot of people would find this interesting.

Cheers

Simon

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Bob,

You are right that this is the internal information. As a Microsoft
employee, I cannot deliver Microsoft internal information here. Thank you
for your understanding.

Anyway, I would like to share the following information with you.

The MSPX file is mapped to the same ASP.NET engine as the .aspx extension,
but it is mapped to a different handler factory in machine.config. Whereas
the .aspx extension is mapped to System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory which is
responsible for creating System.Web.UI.Page objects, the .mspx extension is
mapped to the MNP page handler factory which is responsible for creating
MNP page objects that render pages based on XML documents and XSLT
templates.

For the information of MNP (Microsoft.com Network Project), please refer to
the following URL.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/overview/dotnet/builds
ite.mspx
"...
The Microsoft.com Network Project: Bringing it all Together
Developers used the .NET Framework to build a new application that plays a
key role in integrating and unifying content from various content sources
as well as XML Web services. Built in ASP.NET, this internal tool known as
the Microsoft.com Network Project (MNP) is responsible for substantially
boosting performance levels..."

I hope it helps.

[...]

My name is Simon and no Bob has replied in this thread but never mind!! :)

Ok, that has at least given me something to go on. If you can't tell us
anything about it, can you at least give us an indication as to why
Microsoft are being so secretive about, what I feel, could be ground
breaking technology?

Cheers

Simon

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

I am truly sorry for my mistake of your name. I was misleaded by the email
address - (e-mail address removed).

For the question of "why Microsoft are being so secretive", as a common
support engineer of Microsoft, I cannot give you a specific answer. Thank
you for your understanding.

If you want to dig into this issue, please try the following channels.

1. Please try to send your feedback to Microsoft directly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=cntactms
"...
Microsoft Wish

Make a product suggestion or feature request. Product enhancement
suggestions can include:
Improvements on existing products
..."

2. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services. It would be quick and
effective with direct assistance from a Microsoft Support Professional.

Microsoft support home page: http://support.microsoft.com.
To view support options:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top.
To submit an online request: