    :(

    Thanks.

    , Feb 17, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I know that modules were introduced, some of them fairly
    > convenient.

    Have a look at <http://www.cpan.org> - that's the centralized repository for
    modules. Some (me included) would say that CPAN is arguably Perl's best
    feature.

    > Can Perl hook in with GUIs and such now?

    Yep. Several toolkits, actually. Again - have a look on CPAN. (And in
    my .sig, if you're using a Mac...)

    > Is there object-oriented Perl yet?

    Yep - there's even a sequel to "Learning Perl" that covers it, titled
    "Learning Perl Objects, References & Modules".

    > Incidentally I wanted to answer my own question with
    > a trip to the bookstore but I found that technical book
    > writers either have an inability to be concise, or have
    > perhaps some financial interest in not being concise.

    I think they're paid by the pound. ;-)

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Paul Lalli Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I encountered Perl several years ago and learned
    > the basics in about one day. However I didn't use it
    > much since and I was curious what the state of the art is.
    > I know that modules were introduced, some of them fairly
    > convenient.

    Yes. Check out http://www.cpan.org and read such documentation as
    perldoc perlmod
    perldoc -f use

    > Can Perl hook in with GUIs and such now?

    Yes. Many GUI interfaces exist. One common one is with the Tk toolkit
    originally written for Tcl. "Perl/Tk", as it's known, is implemented
    via the Tk module, available on the CPAN site mentioned above. See
    also: http://www.perltk.org

    > Is there object-oriented Perl yet?

    Yes. Check out
    perldoc perlobj

    > Incidentally I wanted to answer my own question with
    > a trip to the bookstore but I found that technical book
    > writers either have an inability to be concise, or have
    > perhaps some financial interest in not being concise.

    Or perhaps they realize it's better to be precise than concise. There
    are too many details in Perl to be able to make broad generalizations
    that would be needed to shorten documentation. [1] For the brief
    introductions to the language, check out
    perldoc perlintro
    "Learning Perl" by Randal Schwartz
    "Perl in a Nutshell" by Stephen Spainhour et al

    Paul Lalli

    [1] The authors of Learning Perl and Programming Perl make this fact
    known via the abundance of footnotes in their works.

    Paul Lalli, Feb 17, 2005
  4. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > I encountered Perl several years ago and learned
    > the basics in about one day. However I didn't use it
    > much since and I was curious what the state of the art is.
    > I know that modules were introduced, some of them fairly
    > convenient. Can Perl hook in with GUIs and such now?

    Others have mentioned a few. I have been using WxWindows (aka WxWidgets).
    Although the documentation is sparse (amazing for a project around for 10
    (?) years)

    > Is there object-oriented Perl yet?

    Years :-D.

    > Incidentally I wanted to answer my own question with
    > a trip to the bookstore but I found that technical book
    > writers either have an inability to be concise, or have
    > perhaps some financial interest in not being concise.

    You probably have been looking at the "unleashed platinum gold deluxe
    complete in 24 hours for dummies" doorstops eh books. Next time look for
    O'Reilly first.

    John Bokma, Feb 17, 2005
  5. John Bokma wrote:

    > You probably have been looking at the "unleashed platinum gold deluxe
    > complete in 24 hours for dummies" doorstops eh books. Next time look for
    > O'Reilly first.

    "Programming Perl" makes for a pretty good doorstop as well. Thing is,
    it's useful for learning Perl, too.
    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"

    Chris Mattern, Feb 17, 2005
  6. John Bokma Guest

    Chris Mattern wrote:

    > John Bokma wrote:
    >

    >> You probably have been looking at the "unleashed platinum gold deluxe
    >> complete in 24 hours for dummies" doorstops eh books. Next time look for
    >> O'Reilly first.
    >>

    > "Programming Perl" makes for a pretty good doorstop as well.

    Oh, but that's a reference manual, those should have a lot of pages :-D

    > Thing is,
    > it's useful for learning Perl, too.

    Not for a beginner, especially if the beginner has little or no past
    programming experience.

    John Bokma, Feb 18, 2005