What is Playerless Video streaming

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Abby, May 17, 2004.

  1. Abby

    Abby Guest

    THE ARRIVAL OF PLAYERLESS VIDEO AND AUDIO STREAMING
    www.VideosOnWeb.com

    We are familiar of the Internet as composed of text and images and a
    lot of animated graphics. The next logical step is the rich media
    enrichment of the World Wide Web. By rich media we mean the enabling
    of video and audio to make the websites come alive. To drive this
    forward is the tremendous growth of bandwidth that is already under
    way.

    Streaming is a technology for playing audio and video files on digital
    networks, the Internet for example. A user can view the audio or video
    files directly from the web server for immediate playback. This avoids
    time consuming downloads of large files.

    Video files are typically large files, which would take a long while
    to download. (Could be few tens of minutes or even hours). Very few
    users would want to wait that long before they can view a file. Most,
    would loose interest if they were to wait for the whole video file to
    download from the Internet before being able to view it.

    VIDEO STREAMING
    Hence a means had to be developed called video streaming where the
    videos are ready to play as soon as the first bits of that video
    arrive. We do not have to wait for the whole video to download before
    we are ready to view it. Similar is the case with Audio content, which
    too can be quite bulky. Streaming is the most practical way in which
    video and audio can be delivered across digital networks on demand.

    MEDIA PLAYERS
    Streaming has been traditionally implemented using streaming servers.
    The mechanism works out in a manner that a software residing at the
    server communicates with another software (a player) at the user
    machine, to set up the synchronisation and the delivery between the
    two pieces of software.

    We had three major technologies that offered streaming software,
    hardware and solutions. They were:
    · Real Media,
    · Windows Media Player and
    · Apple Quicktime.

    These technologies relied upon users having to download their
    respective players before they were ready to see the content being
    delivered through their respective technologies. In some of these
    cases, they were also tied to particular operating system.

    However, the biggest factor that went against their acceptability is
    the Download Warning Box that popped up every time you looked at some
    of their content. Users worldwide hardly ever say Yes to
    a Download Box that pops up. Due to these reasons, despite the
    tremendous potential of rich media on the Internet, the acceptability
    of videos has remained very low with less than 1 % of the websites of
    the world offering any kind of rich media content.

    To add to this, security flaws have time to time created fear in the
    users, like the Feb 2004 report about security holes in the Real Media
    Player that can turn the user machine into a zombie delivering
    unsolicited Emails and other malicious activities like accessing
    pornographic sites!

    Real has slapped a 1 billion dollar lawsuit against Microsoft for its
    alleged monopolistic practice in including the Windows Media Player
    with its operating systems. The US government’s antitrust
    proceedings against Microsoft have been closely followed by the
    European Union. One remedy under consideration is a requirement that
    Microsoft remove the Windows Media Player (WMP) from the versions of
    Windows that are distributed within the European Union's jurisdiction.

    http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/software/windows/0,39020478,39118928,00.htm

    http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040206.gtrealfeb6/BNStory/einsider/

    All of these above media player solutions, require a player or any
    other third party executable to be downloaded / installed and hence
    are called player based solutions. These are fairly generic amongst
    themselves in their implementations.

    PLAYERLESS STREAMING
    We now have another technology called Playerless Video Audio
    Streaming, which advantages from Java to reach across all operating
    systems and without the user having to ever download and install
    anything. The quality is also clearly better, even though the file
    sizes are much smaller. These Java based videos support a whole lot of
    new functionalities inside the videos, like hyperlinks inside the
    video elements and execution of scripts to bring about unlimited
    interactivity in and around the videos. For example, it can change the
    text around the videos in sync with the progress of the video for a
    great self-paced presentation or it can pop up a purchase form in the
    middle of the video.

    The videos automatically detect the bandwidth of the user and send a
    stream optimized for his/her connection speed. Thus making it possible
    for people on very slow connections, even 5 or 10 kbps connects (as is
    common in India) to get to experience streaming videos and audio.

    CLIPSTREAM
    This technology called Clipstream™ from Canada has just arrived
    in India and is set to change the web to a more rich media experience.
    The technology also offers watertight piracy protection packages,
    preventing video and audio from being downloaded or stolen.

    Spared from the costs and licenses of Streaming servers as required by
    Player based solutions, Clipstream™ is offering extremely cost
    effective solutions to hosting of videos and audios on the web, with
    entry costs at around Rs 20,000 while streaming servers often run into
    many thousands of dollars. Also, the biggest costs of hosting videos
    on the Internet are bandwidth costs and Clipstream™ cuts down
    bandwidth costs drastically because the technology advantages of http
    caching. HTTP caching is a clever mechanism to pick up frequently
    accessed web elements from the nearest caching servers instead from
    the main server.

    Player based solutions also have a licensing policy depending on the
    number of simultaneous streams, Clipstream™ supports unlimited
    number of simultaneous streams, all of which benefit from each other
    due to http caching, getting increasingly enhanced performance. The
    technology offers many firsts, including Videos inside banners and
    even Videos inside Emails!

    Detailed information is available on their website www.grus-india.com
    in the form of a FAQ. (Frequently Asked Questions) Also Clipstream.com

    ONLINE PROMOTION AND ADVERTISING
    The technology opens up great opportunities for corporate websites
    with Chairman’s speech, multimedia product catalogs with
    voiceovers, TV style ads on websites / banners for automobile
    companies, tourism and hotels, films and television, distance
    education and direct marketing and public awareness campaigns through
    Video Emails. In March, Reebok executed Europe’s largest video
    advertising campaign, the Shakira advertisement on leading portals
    like Yahoo!, MP3.com and MTV using Clipstream™ technology. The
    technology was also utilized by Columbia Tristar in showcasing a
    prelude to 2002 Spiderman release.

    It also supports interesting features, which cater to the aesthetic
    demands of the web designer and Clipstream™ can be mixed with
    other technologies like Flash and Shockwave to play videos from
    websites and banners.

    Showcase here
    www.VideosOnWeb.com
    http://clipstream.com/showcase/
    http://www.grus-india.com/show/Showcase.html

    CLIPSTREAM LIVE
    Clipstream™ also has the ability to stream LIVE video from a
    site like events, seminars, trade shows, sporting events, AGMs,
    Product Launches, marriages etc across the globe through the Internet.
    The technology can also be adapted for low cost video conferencing
    solutions on small bandwidths for corporate communications as also
    CCTV applications over IP for remote monitoring of industry / shop
    floor and security. These trials have also been done successfully in
    India. The encoders are flexible in frame size, frame rates, quality
    of compression and other parameters to offer solutions for any kind of
    bandwidth starting at 40 kbps for LIVE.

    Clipstream™ LIVE can also stream a television feed right on to
    the Internet!
    http://www.clipstream.com/products/live/

    The technology was used for the first time in India for LIVE IP
    Webcasting during the COMPASS 2004 IT fair on Kolkata Maidan grounds
    by a local company called GRUS MEDIA WORKS, where a laptop on a public
    static IP was converted to a web server, was carried around the fair
    grounds on Wifi and anyone across the globe could see the fair by
    looking at that IP over http. The same video can even be embedded on a
    web page!

    To support an increasing number of concurrent users, Clipstream™
    LIVE supports Relay Server solutions for load balancing across the
    globe and flexible scaling up of operations.

    The author is CEO of Kolkata based GRUS Media Works, who represents
    Clipstream in India and is engaged in marketing, implementing and
    supporting this technology in this region. Mr Abhijit Bhattacharjee
    can be reached at:

    GRUS MEDIA WORKS
    5C Nilanjana; 43, D H Road
    Kolkata 700 034
    INDIA
    Email:
    Mobile: +91 98303 98631
    (www.grus-india.com)
    www.VideosOnWeb.com
    Abby, May 17, 2004

  2. Abby

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Abby" <> wrote in message
    > THE ARRIVAL OF PLAYERLESS VIDEO AND AUDIO STREAMING
    > www.VideosOnWeb.com

    <snip>

    As pointed out by others in other groups, this would actually be an
    interesting product if they chose to advertise some other way other than
    spamming groups. Because of that reason alone, I wont be recommending this
    to any of *our* clients.
    SpaceGirl, May 18, 2004

  3. Abby

    Jay Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message

    > "Abby" <> wrote in message
    > > THE ARRIVAL OF PLAYERLESS VIDEO AND AUDIO STREAMING

    > <snip>
    >
    > As pointed out by others in other groups, this would actually be an
    > interesting product if they chose to advertise some other way other than
    > spamming groups. Because of that reason alone, I wont be recommending this
    > to any of *our* clients.

    Do you really thing the OP is going to read your reply?

    --
    "Some see the glass as half-empty;
    some see the glass as half-full.

    - J
    Jay, May 18, 2004
  4. Abby

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Abby" <> wrote in message
    > > > THE ARRIVAL OF PLAYERLESS VIDEO AND AUDIO STREAMING

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > As pointed out by others in other groups, this would actually be an
    > > interesting product if they chose to advertise some other way other than
    > > spamming groups. Because of that reason alone, I wont be recommending

    this
    > > to any of *our* clients.

    > Do you really thing the OP is going to read your reply?
    >
    > --
    > "Some see the glass as half-empty;
    > some see the glass as half-full.
    > I see the glass as too big." - George Carlin
    >
    > - J

    I read yours....?
    SpaceGirl, May 19, 2004