what is regular expression

SM Ryan

# HI
# I want to know what is mean by regular expression in C

A regular expression is pattern with certain restrictions (it
cannot match nested parentheses) that identifies a set of strings.
There are various regular expression packages available, each
with small variations in how the regular expression is expressed.

A regular expression is equivalent to a finite state machine;
if you want to recognise a predetermined RE in a C program, you
can convert the expression to an FSM and encode it with gotos.

Keith Thompson

MJ said:
I want to know what is mean by regular expression in C

Nothing. The C language has no support for regular expressions,
though there are libraries (some that happen to be written in C) that
support regular expressions.

A Google search for "regular expressions" is likely to be more
fruitful than posting to a newsgroup where the question is off-topic.

Kenny McCormack

HI
I want to know what is mean by regular expression in C

C has expressions (e.g., 2+2) and they are used regularly.
In fact, it is pretty hard to write a C program without using at least one
such expression.

HTH

CBFalconer

MJ said:
I want to know what is mean by regular expression in C

It has to do with the lack of facial grimaces following a long bout
of constipation. From which you may conclude that this has nothing
to do with the C language, and that you are off-topic here. Such
books as "Software Tools", or "The Practice of Programming", etc.
may produce some clues.

SM Ryan

# In article <[email protected]>,
#
# C has expressions (e.g., 2+2) and they are used regularly.
# In fact, it is pretty hard to write a C program without using at least one
# such expression.

Unable to settle for mere obnoxiousness, you now have to deliberately
spread misinformation.

Sensei

HI I want to know what is mean by regular expression in C Mayur

C has *no* knowledge of regexp. A regular expression is a string that
describes a language that can be recognized by a finite-state machine,
For better knowledge, google for it, or probably better, wikipedia.

If you want a library that helps you in dealing with regexp, it's
another topic...

Kenny McCormack

(e-mail address removed) (Kenny McCormack) wrote:
# In article <[email protected]>,
# >HI
# >I want to know what is mean by regular expression in C
#
# C has expressions (e.g., 2+2) and they are used regularly.
# In fact, it is pretty hard to write a C program without using at least one
# such expression.

Unable to settle for mere obnoxiousness, you now have to deliberately
spread misinformation.

What misinformation? What did I say that was either untrue or OT?

Please be specific. Give examples.

Clint Olsen

I want to know what is mean by regular expression in C
Mayur

Regular expressions are actually more of a language topic. You'd probably
have better luck learning about those in comp.compilers and
comp.programming. Having said that, there are library routines for
creating and manipulating regular expressions in C, but they are not part
of the standard and thus not really topical to a group focused on ANSI C.

See regcomp(1) for more info on the C routines on your favorite UNIX
variant.

-Clint

CBFalconer

Kenny said:
What misinformation? What did I say that was either untrue or OT?

Please be specific. Give examples.

Note the source. While continuing to attempt to foul up as many
newsreaders as possible with his obnoxious quote mark, he complains
about a perfectly rational answer.