What is 'script' in a ASPNET file

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Marc, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Comming from JSP-HTML when I hear 'script' I think of JavaScript or perhaps
    VBScript. But I think in ASP.NET they mean something else? I am bit confused
    now.

    Reading a book I see the following:

    A simple Web page may look like the following.
    <!-page directives-->
    <%@ Page Language="VB" %>

    <!--script-->
    <script runat="server">
    Private Sub SayHi(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As EventArgs)
    Response.Write("Hello " + txtName.Value) End Sub
    </script>

    <!--layout-->

    <form id="form1" runat="server"> <input runat="server" id="txtName"
    type="text" /> <input runat="server" id="btnSayHi" type="button"
    value="Say Hi" onserverclick="SayHi" />
    </form>

    Hence script refers to a piece of Visual Basic code here. Appearantly.

    My question hence are:

    1. Can you use javascript in ASP.NET pages?
    2. Can you use VBScript in ASP.NET pages?
    3 Does 'script' refer to the .NET C# or Visual Basic code, or to what I
    should call real /scripting/ lanuguage code, like code in JavaScript of
    VBScript?
    4 Can anyone tell me if and what the difference would be with Java in a JSP
    page and f.e. C# in an ASP.NET page

    Marc Wentink

    N.B. The question refers to the book I am reading Self Pace Training Kit for
    the 70-528 Exam written by Glen Johnsson
    Marc, Jun 19, 2008

  2. Marc

    David Wier Guest

    There are two ways of creating code in ASP.Net. One is inline scripting,
    which you are seeing. There, technically, it's not scripting as you
    remember, but you would use the language of your choice - either VB.Net or
    C# - so when you see VB - it's VB.Net coding - not VBScript, as it was in
    Classic ASP days.

    The other way that quite a few people use is 'code-behind', which is a
    separate page for the coding, and it's tied to the ASPx page in the Page
    directive

    David Wier
    http://aspnet101.com
    bloated markup

    David Wier, Jun 19, 2008

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote

    >> 1. Can you use JavaScript in ASP.NET pages?

    > Yes.

    But then client side, I presume?

    > <script runat="server"/> tag.

    Which means server side code, and hence code in a .NET assembly, not code in
    a scripting language like JScript VBScript, et cetera, right? Actually I was
    confused by calling code in server side modules script. I would, perhaps
    only call client side interpreter (javascript) code script.

    Thank you, thank you, & thanks
    Marc, Jun 19, 2008
  4. Marc

    bruce barker Guest

    it holdover from asp (which was script based), which used the tag to define
    server script blocks.

    asp.net differs from asp and jsp in the rules for <% %> and <script
    runat="server">. the asp.net page is compiled into a class file.

    all methods and class variables must be defined in <script runat="server">
    as this code is paced between the class def, and the first method definition.

    you can think of all the html and <% %> code as all contained in one method
    call. all html is converted to a new literal.html = html, and <%%> code is
    generated inline. this means code in <% %> must be legal inside a method def.

    <%= expression %> is converted new literal.html = expression

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jun 19, 2008
  5. INLINE

    "Marc" <m,> wrote in message
    > Comming from JSP-HTML when I hear 'script' I think of JavaScript or
    > perhaps VBScript. But I think in ASP.NET they mean something else? I am
    > bit confused now.
    >
    > Reading a book I see the following:
    >
    > A simple Web page may look like the following.
    > <!-page directives-->
    > <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
    >
    > <!--script-->
    > <script runat="server">
    > Private Sub SayHi(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As EventArgs)
    > Response.Write("Hello " + txtName.Value) End Sub
    > </script>
    >
    > <!--layout-->

    > <form id="form1" runat="server"> <input runat="server" id="txtName"
    > type="text" /> <input runat="server" id="btnSayHi" type="button"
    > value="Say Hi" onserverclick="SayHi" />
    > </form>
    >
    > Hence script refers to a piece of Visual Basic code here. Appearantly.
    >
    > My question hence are:
    >
    > 1. Can you use javascript in ASP.NET pages?

    Yes, for client side operations you can use JavaScript. In fact, all of the
    AJAX bits output JavaScript to run on the client side.

    > 2. Can you use VBScript in ASP.NET pages?

    I would not use VBScript, personally, as it limits you to IE.

    > 3 Does 'script' refer to the .NET C# or Visual Basic code, or to what I
    > should call real /scripting/ lanuguage code, like code in JavaScript of
    > VBScript?

    I am sure some call the code "script", but I would not. The reason is
    "script" generally means interpreted, not compiled. By interpreted, I mean
    that the code in script runs in the browser, at run time. There is no
    compilation step.

    > 4 Can anyone tell me if and what the difference would be with Java in a
    > JSP page and f.e. C# in an ASP.NET page

    Different object models. :)

    Essentially, if you are using JSP, you have Java for your server code and
    JavaScript for your client code.

    In ASP.NET, you have C#/VB for your server code and JavaScript for your
    client code.

    You can use VBScript in either, if you are so inclined.

    Underneath the hood, the thinking process behind Java (JSP) and C#/VB
    (ASP.NET) are quite different. And, each has its strengths and weaknesses.

    Good enough?

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    | Think outside the box! |
    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jun 19, 2008
  6. Marc

    bruce barker Guest

    the server code can be written in any .net language.

    there are three out of the box (no additional installs required):
    javascript.net (clr based)
    c# (clr based)
    vb.net (clr based)

    there are couple common dynamic languages available

    jscript.net (dlr based javascript - comes with silverlight)
    ironpyhon (dlr based)
    ironRuby (dlr based)
    f# (dlr based)

    you might want to look at the new mvc framework, which should replace
    webforms for all enterprise programers.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jun 19, 2008
  7. re:
    !> javascript.net (clr based)

    Is that still available ?
    I don't see any option in VS 2008 to create a JScript.Net-based website.

    I think that JScript.Net has been removed from our arsenal.

    re:
    !> there are couple common dynamic languages available

    With 3rd party tools, there's quite a few more.

    I've been dabbling with PHP.NET, using Phalanger.

    http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=Phalanger

    If a PHP programmer wants to dabble with .NET, there's almost no learning curve.
    Phalanger even integrates with Visual Studio.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 19, 2008
  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> wrote

    > Underneath the hood, the thinking process behind Java (JSP) and C#/VB
    > (ASP.NET) are quite different. And, each has its strengths and weaknesses.

    > Good enough?

    Yes
    I keep on reading the books.
    :)
    Marc, Jun 20, 2008
  9. re:
    !> I don't see any option in VS 2008 to create a JScript.Net-based website.
    !> I think that JScript.Net has been removed from our arsenal.

    I thought that I had seen an annoucement of that, so I looked it up...and here it is :

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vjsharp/default.aspx

    <quote>
    Since customers have told us that the existing J# feature set largely meets their needs
    and usage of J# is declining, Microsoft is retiring the Visual J# product and Java Language
    Conversion Assistant tool to better allocate resources for other customer requirements.

    The J# language and JLCA tool will not be available in future versions of Visual Studio.

    To preserve existing customer investments in J#, Microsoft will continue to support
    the J# and JLCA technology that shipped with Visual Studio 2005 through to 2015
    as per our product life-cycle strategy.
    </quote>

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 20, 2008
  10. Marc

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Juan T. Llibre formulated on vrijdag :
    > re:
    > !> I don't see any option in VS 2008 to create a JScript.Net-based website.
    > !> I think that JScript.Net has been removed from our arsenal.
    >
    > I thought that I had seen an annoucement of that, so I looked it up...and
    > here it is :
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vjsharp/default.aspx
    >
    > <quote>
    > Since customers have told us that the existing J# feature set largely meets
    > their needs
    > and usage of J# is declining, Microsoft is retiring the Visual J# product and
    > Java Language
    > Conversion Assistant tool to better allocate resources for other customer
    > requirements.
    >
    > The J# language and JLCA tool will not be available in future versions of
    > Visual Studio.
    >
    > To preserve existing customer investments in J#, Microsoft will continue to
    > support
    > the J# and JLCA technology that shipped with Visual Studio 2005 through to
    > 2015
    > as per our product life-cycle strategy.
    > </quote>

    Isn't J# a language that Microsoft isn't allowed to call "Java", but
    looks a lot like that?
    While JScript.Net is a .Net enhancement of j(ava)SCRIPT (to be run on
    the server side in a ASP.Net application).
    Maybe it needs to be installed specifically (as opposed to C# and
    VB.Net that get installed automatically)?

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, Jun 23, 2008
  11. re:
    !> Isn't J# a language that Microsoft isn't allowed to call "Java", but looks a lot like that?
    !> While JScript.Net is a .Net enhancement of j(ava)SCRIPT
    !> (to be run on the server side in a ASP.Net application).

    J#, Visual J# and vjsharp are all the same product, which is being retired.
    You can *use* J# forever, but it won't be updated any more and support will end in 2015.

    JScript and JScript.Net are Microsoft versions of JavaScript.
    The latest version is JScript 8.0.

    You can use JScript, if the redistributable is installed,
    in an .aspx page by declaring it as the page language :

    <%@ language="JScript" %>

    You can also use it in Webservices, if the redistributable is installed :

    <%@ WebService Language="JScript" class="YourClass"%>

    re:
    !> Maybe it needs to be installed specifically
    !> (as opposed to C# and VB.Net that get installed automatically)?

    You *can* install the Visual J# redistributable and it will work in VS 2008.

    It's here :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vjsharp/bb188598.aspx

    Support for Visual J# is not natively offered in VS 2008, though.
    Visual J# was removed from Visual Studio 2008.

    You don't have to install it for VS 2005, because support for it is built-in,
    although only for Windows and Console programs, not for Web applications.

    To add to all this jumble, there's also "Managed JScript",
    which is different from JScript *and* from JScript.Net.

    It's used by Silverlight.

    Read about the differences between the several flavors of JScript here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/gauravseth/ar...-jscript-jscript-net-and-managed-jscript.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 23, 2008