    thanks
    from Peter ()
    , Apr 13, 2013

  2. Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:

    > I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
    > tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
    > java app?

    Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to
    build a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a
    standalone java app?

    > from Peter ()

    Kind of schizophrenic. :)

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, Apr 13, 2013

    Stanimir Stamenkovæ–¼ 2013å¹´4月13日星期六UTC+8下åˆ10時02分49秒寫é“:
    > Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:
    >

    > > I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please

    > > tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone

    > > java app?

    > Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to
    >
    > build a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a
    >
    > standalone java app?
    >

    > > from Peter ()

    > Kind of schizophrenic. :)
    >

    > --
    >
    > Stanimir

    advantage is , i can use husdon to do continue integration, this not very possible to a standalone app
    , Apr 13, 2013
  4. Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:

    > I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
    > tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
    > java app?

    By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven
    Users mailing list - you may get better answers there:

    http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, Apr 13, 2013
  5. On 04/13/2013 12:42 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:
    >
    >> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
    >> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
    >> java app?

    > By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven Users
    > mailing list - you may get better answers there:
    >
    > http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html

    It's not even at this stage really a Maven question - it's a question of
    clarifying why a build system, any build system, in the context of a CI
    environment is useful for app development, period.

    As one example, why would it make sense to use Maven and Hudson for a
    web app, but not use those for (hypothetically) developing the web
    server itself? Which latter is, of course, a standalone app.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Apr 13, 2013

    Stanimir Stamenkovæ–¼ 2013å¹´4月13日星期六UTC+8下åˆ11時31分45秒寫é“:
    > Sat, 13 Apr 2013 08:14:45 -0700 (PDT), //:
    >
    > > Stanimir Stamenkovæ–¼ 2013å¹´4月13日星期六UTC+8下åˆ10時02分49秒寫é“:

    > >> Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:

    > >> Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to

    > >> build a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a

    > >> standalone java app?

    > > advantage is , i can use husdon to do continue integration, this

    > > not very possible to a standalone app

    > Why do you think it is not possible to build a standalone app using
    >
    > a continuous integration server like Hudson - what's the difference?
    >
    > Have you seen Eclipse which builds quite a lot of desktop
    >
    > components, uses Hudson too?
    >

    > https://hudson.eclipse.org/
    >

    > --
    >
    > Stanimir

    hi
    i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1 hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar for me, i still need a lot ofstep to run it manually, so i think it is not a great advantage.

    One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me. That why i ask thequestionin here.
    thanks
    , Apr 14, 2013

    Stanimir Stamenkovæ–¼ 2013å¹´4月13日星期六UTC+8下åˆ11時42分12秒寫é“:
    > Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:
    >

    > > I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please

    > > tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone

    > > java app?

    > By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven
    >
    > Users mailing list - you may get better answers there:
    >

    > http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html
    >

    > --
    >
    > Stanimir

    thanks for the link
    , Apr 14, 2013
  8. Sun, 14 Apr 2013 00:27:15 -0700 (PDT), //:

    > i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1
    > hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest
    > webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar
    > for me, i still need a lot of step to run it manually, so i think
    > it is not a great advantage.
    >
    > One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence
    > version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me.
    > That why i ask the questionin here.

    As Arved Sandstrom points in another reply, your question doesn't
    even seem Maven related, but more about "clarifying why a build
    system, any build system, in the context of a CI environment is
    useful for app development". I think CI server may be useful for
    any application - verifying 1) the automated build of the product
    works (being Maven or not), after latest changes checked into the
    source; 2) the product works as expected after running whatever
    automated tests have been created for it.

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, Apr 14, 2013
  9. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    >>> advantage is , i [sic] can use husdon [sic] to do continue integration,
    >>> this not very possible to a standalone app

    Actually, it is very, very possible.

    Simply tell Hudson to run the Ant build.

    Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    >> Why do you think it is not possible to build a standalone app using
    >> a continuous integration server like Hudson - what's the difference?
    >>
    >> Have you seen Eclipse which builds quite a lot of desktop
    >> components, uses Hudson too?
    >>
    >> https://hudson.eclipse.org/

    > i [sic] used husdon [sic] to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat [sic]
    > every 1 hour, so when i [sic] browse to my tomcat, i [sic] always see the my
    > latest webapp. If i [sic] am doing standalone app, even hudson [sic] can
    > build a jar [sic] for me, i [sic] still need a lot of step to run it
    > manually, so i [sic] think it is not a great advantage.

    What do you mean by "run it manually"?

    You can set up Hudson to create a Java WebStart source for the app so you can
    run it in one step.

    So no, you do not need a lot of steps to run it. Unless one is a "lot".

    > One point I agree with maven [sic] is that it can manage the dependence
    > version more easily.

    More easily than what?

    > But this is not a very bid advantage for me.

    Isn't it?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Apr 15, 2013
  10. znôrt Guest

    writes:

    > hi i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1
    > hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest
    > webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar for
    > me, i still need a lot of step to run it manually, so i think it is
    > not a great advantage.

    just in case: maven is just a build system, hudson provides continuous
    integration and for that it supports maven or many other build systems.

    the goal of continuous integration is not that "you seee your last app"
    at any moment, but to verify that the app is always in consistent state
    at any moment, and that you will know if it is not. this verification is
    done by running automated tests when anything changes.

    now, these automated tests you have to write yourself, and the tools
    needed for this depend entirely on the type and purpose of your apps and
    on what you want to test. if you do not have automated testing for that
    app then continuous integration is of little value. it may be even
    dangerous. some kitten could die, man!

    > One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence
    > version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me. That
    > why i ask the questionin here. thanks

    if you alerady use maven and your next project fits, i guess the natural
    choice is to keep using maven. the less tools the better, but choose
    wisely :)
    znôrt, Apr 15, 2013
  11. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 4/13/2013 7:37 AM, wrote:
    > I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone java app?

    The advantages are:
    - automatic retrieval of the dependencies
    - simple build script if you structure things the Maven way
    similar to other types of applications.

    For simple desktop apps these benefits may not be so important, but if
    you use Maven for other types of apps and very familiar with it, then
    it may still make sense to use it for you desktop apps as well.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2013
  12. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 4/13/2013 10:02 AM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:
    >> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
    >> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
    >> java app?

    > Out of curiosity, what advantage do you feel about using Maven to build
    > a webapp? Why your feeling doesn't apply for building a standalone java
    > app?

    Java SE apps are often much simpler in both dependencies and
    packaging than Java EE apps.

    But yes - it is fundamentally the same.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2013
  13. On 4/14/2013 3:27 AM, wrote:
    > i used husdon to build a war and auto deploy to my tomcat every 1
    > hour, so when i browse to my tomcat, i always see the my latest
    > webapp. If i am doing standalone app, even hudson can build a jar for
    > me, i still need a lot of step to run it manually, so i think it is
    > not a great advantage.

    Double clicking on an executable jar file does not count as many
    steps in my book.

    It is approx the same as clicking on the bookmark in your web browser.

    > One point I agree with maven is that it can manage the dependence
    > version more easily. But this is not a very bid advantage for me.

    No. But if you use Maven for other types of apps, then you should change
    the question from "Are there reasons why I should use Maven for desktop
    apps?" to "Are there reasons why I should not use Maven for desktop
    apps?"

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2013
  14. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 4/13/2013 11:42 AM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
    > Sat, 13 Apr 2013 04:37:25 -0700 (PDT), //:
    >
    >> I can feel the advantage of using maven to build webapp, please
    >> tell me what is the advantage of using maven for build standalone
    >> java app?

    > By the way, this question appears more appropriate for the Maven Users
    > mailing list - you may get better answers there:

    If the question is about how to use Maven: yes.

    If the question is whether to use Maven: maybe - skill level
    may be high but so will the bias be!

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 16, 2013