    The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS stopped the
    product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It was 100% free
    originally.
    Q&A, Sep 1, 2004

  2. Q&A

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <hFqZc.2115$>,
    says...
    > The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS stopped the
    > product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It was 100% free
    > originally.

    sniff... sniff.... smells like troll shit...
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Sep 1, 2004

  3. Q&A

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Q&A wrote:

    > Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.
    >
    > The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS stopped the
    > product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It was 100% free
    > originally.

    DreamWeaver, if you're willing to pay for features. Notepad or Textpad
    if you're not.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Q&A

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Sep 1, 2004
  5. "Q&A" <> writes:

    Emacs

    > Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

    From what?-)

    --

    Più Cabernet,
    meno Internet.
    Eric B. Bednarz, Sep 1, 2004
  6. Q&A

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Q&A" <> wrote in

    > Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.
    >
    > The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS
    > stopped the product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It
    > was 100% free originally.

    The program created some very bad code. Even if you could download
    FrontPage Express, or FrontPage of any form, I would recommend that you do
    not.

    My favorite editor for HTML is currently a tie between Araneae and TextPad.
    However, my preferences on this matter change frequently.

    If you liked FrontPage Express, I would assume that you do not know very
    much about HTML, because if you did, you would have noticed something wrong
    with the source code. HTML is a simple language and easy to learn. I
    suggest learning it in some more detail than you currently know. Creating
    documents from scratch is amazingly simple, and though it may be somewhat
    more difficult in the very very short run (it will only be "difficult" if
    you unnecessarily complicate things), such knowledge will make life easier
    in regular short run, the medium run, and many of the long runs. You won't
    run into nearly as many problems with different browsers behaving
    strangely, and you will know how to fix them.

    However, if you don't want to invest the small amount of time to learn the
    basics of HTML, suit yourself. If you just have some documents which you
    would like to write for the Web, I would suggest getting Mozilla Composer.
    It is part of the Mozilla package, which you can install in parts (such
    that you shall not need to install the e-mail client, for instance). It
    can be found at <http://www.mozilla.org/>
    Sam Hughes, Sep 1, 2004
  7. Q&A

    Q&A Guest

    > The program created some very bad code. Even if you could download
    > FrontPage Express, or FrontPage of any form, I would recommend that you do
    > not.
    >
    > My favorite editor for HTML is currently a tie between Araneae and

    TextPad.
    > However, my preferences on this matter change frequently.

    Do Araneae and TextPad allow simple edit - meaning without going into the
    HTML codes details. I hate MS products, because it always add XML things
    which make even a small page huge, difficult to be edited by other programs.
    Q&A, Sep 2, 2004
  8. "Q&A" <> skrev i melding
    > Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.
    >
    > The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS stopped

    the
    > product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It was 100% free
    > originally.

    EditPad Lite
    http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html

    Or Notepad (comes as freeware with any Windows version).

    Other WYSIWYG choices:
    http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    http://www.tucows.com/htmlbeginner95.html

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    Kim André Akerø, Sep 2, 2004
  9. "Q&A" <> wrote:

    > Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

    Notepad.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Quoth the raven The Doormouse:

    > "Q&A" <> wrote:
    >

    >> Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

    > Notepad.

    Heh. Don'tcha like DreamWave?

    I'll chime in with Crimson Editor. http://crimsoneditor.com/

    If Dave Letterman did a Top 10 Worst HTML editors, it would end with:

    3. MS FrontPage
    2. MS Word
    ...and the top worst HTML editor is...
    1. MS Publisher!

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left for others to fill in 10 to 4.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 2, 2004
  11. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Heh. Don'tcha like DreamWave?

    Dreamweaver?

    Nope. It is ... average. I have GoLive, which suffers mightily from
    feature-itis. GoLive needs a "Lite" version.

    > ..and the top worst HTML editor is...
    > 1. MS Publisher!

    MS Publisher is a web page creation tool, not really an editor at all. It
    is part of a class of programs that can create web files.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 2, 2004
  12. Q&A

    Jeff Thies Guest

    The Doormouse wrote:
    > "Q&A" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

    > Notepad.

    Honestly, do you use that?

    With notepad you wind up with more windows open that a visit to a porn
    site. It's a terrible tool for editing more than one document.

    It has to be the most feature pure text editor in existance.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Sep 2, 2004
  13. Q&A

    Toby Inkster Guest

    The Doormouse wrote:

    > MS Publisher is a web page creation tool,

    No - it's a DTP tool (and not a particularly good one at that) that
    happens to be able to export to something vaguely resembling HTML.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 2, 2004
  14. Q&A

    Karl Groves Guest

    "The Doormouse" <> wrote in message
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    > > ..and the top worst HTML editor is...
    > > 1. MS Publisher!

    > MS Publisher is a web page creation tool, not really an editor at all. It
    > is part of a class of programs that can create web files.

    No. Publisher is a (very pathetic) DTP application that happens to think it
    can make web pages.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Sep 2, 2004
  15. Q&A

    Alan Guest

    I'm surprised no one here uses homesite. I've been using it since Version 1
    (which was free) and find it a very capable site builder.

    Willow

    Alan, Sep 2, 2004
  16. Jeff Thies <> wrote:

    >> Notepad.

    > Honestly, do you use that?

    Yes, along with GoLive and MS Visual Studio's default editor (for XML and
    CSS). I prefer Notepad for quick edits, testing and cleaning up poor HTML.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 2, 2004
  17. Jeff Thies <> wrote:

    >> Notepad.

    > Honestly, do you use that?

    I myself use notepad, & also notetab light (freeware), with notetab i like
    the option to find & replace text from multiple files, say from having to do
    it by hand if you have a couple hundred pages, lol.
    William Desrochers, Sep 2, 2004
  18. Q&A

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 03:06:42 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    <> wrote:

    > I'll chime in with Crimson Editor. http://crimsoneditor.com/

    I'll second that. Enough features to make it useful, but not so many that
    it tries to mess with what you're doing.
    Neal, Sep 2, 2004
  19. Q&A

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:53:33 GMT, Q&A <> declared
    in alt.html:

    > Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

    From what?

    > The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999.

    So you never used anything else?

    FWIW, my editors of choice are HTML-Kit on Windows and Bluefish on *nix.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Sep 2, 2004
  20. Q&A

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Q&A wrote:
    > Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.
    > The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS
    > stopped the product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It
    > was 100% free originally.

    Blink (free) is an alternative: http://wojanware.com/index.aspx

    My personal requirements for the perfect editor are:
    - a good stylesheet editor
    and - create clean coding
    and - allows editing in wysiwyg
    and - enables applying styles from (multiple) internal- or external
    stylesheets
    and - has good support of PHP
    and - built in validator
    and - spell checker
    and - table editor
    and - format selected paragraphs into a list and vice versa
    and - paste text from applications like MS-Word as plain paragraphs
    and - add width and height properties to an imported image and change them
    on refresh when the source image has changed
    and - translates ASCII into HTML-characters
    and - checks for broken links
    and - is not too expensive

    Though it doesn't meet with all the requirements, I still prefer FrontPage.

    --
    Nico
    www.nicoschuyt.nl
    Nico Schuyt, Sep 3, 2004