What is the best HTML editor?

Q&A

Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS stopped the
product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It was 100% free
originally.

WebcastMaker

The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS stopped the
product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It was 100% free
originally.

sniff... sniff.... smells like troll shit...

SpaceGirl

Q&A said:
Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS stopped the
product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It was 100% free
originally.

DreamWeaver, if you're willing to pay for features. Notepad or Textpad
if you're not.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Sam Hughes

Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.

The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS
stopped the product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It
was 100% free originally.

The program created some very bad code. Even if you could download
FrontPage Express, or FrontPage of any form, I would recommend that you do
not.

My favorite editor for HTML is currently a tie between Araneae and TextPad.
However, my preferences on this matter change frequently.

If you liked FrontPage Express, I would assume that you do not know very
much about HTML, because if you did, you would have noticed something wrong
with the source code. HTML is a simple language and easy to learn. I
suggest learning it in some more detail than you currently know. Creating
documents from scratch is amazingly simple, and though it may be somewhat
more difficult in the very very short run (it will only be "difficult" if
you unnecessarily complicate things), such knowledge will make life easier
in regular short run, the medium run, and many of the long runs. You won't
run into nearly as many problems with different browsers behaving
strangely, and you will know how to fix them.

However, if you don't want to invest the small amount of time to learn the
basics of HTML, suit yourself. If you just have some documents which you
would like to write for the Web, I would suggest getting Mozilla Composer.
It is part of the Mozilla package, which you can install in parts (such
that you shall not need to install the e-mail client, for instance). It
can be found at <http://www.mozilla.org/>

Q&A

The program created some very bad code. Even if you could download
FrontPage Express, or FrontPage of any form, I would recommend that you do
not.

My favorite editor for HTML is currently a tie between Araneae and TextPad.
However, my preferences on this matter change frequently.

Do Araneae and TextPad allow simple edit - meaning without going into the
HTML codes details. I hate MS products, because it always add XML things
which make even a small page huge, difficult to be edited by other programs.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven The Doormouse:

Heh. Don'tcha like DreamWave?

I'll chime in with Crimson Editor. http://crimsoneditor.com/

If Dave Letterman did a Top 10 Worst HTML editors, it would end with:

3. MS FrontPage
2. MS Word
...and the top worst HTML editor is...
1. MS Publisher!

The Doormouse

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Heh. Don'tcha like DreamWave?

Dreamweaver?

Nope. It is ... average. I have GoLive, which suffers mightily from
feature-itis. GoLive needs a "Lite" version.
..and the top worst HTML editor is...
1. MS Publisher!

MS Publisher is a web page creation tool, not really an editor at all. It
is part of a class of programs that can create web files.

The Doormouse

Jeff Thies

The said:

Honestly, do you use that?

With notepad you wind up with more windows open that a visit to a porn
site. It's a terrible tool for editing more than one document.

It has to be the most feature pure text editor in existance.

Jeff

Toby Inkster

The said:
MS Publisher is a web page creation tool,

No - it's a DTP tool (and not a particularly good one at that) that
happens to be able to export to something vaguely resembling HTML.

Karl Groves

The Doormouse said:
MS Publisher is a web page creation tool, not really an editor at all. It
is part of a class of programs that can create web files.

No. Publisher is a (very pathetic) DTP application that happens to think it
can make web pages.

-Karl

Alan

I'm surprised no one here uses homesite. I've been using it since Version 1
(which was free) and find it a very capable site builder.

Willow

The Doormouse

Jeff Thies said:
Honestly, do you use that?

Yes, along with GoLive and MS Visual Studio's default editor (for XML and
CSS). I prefer Notepad for quick edits, testing and cleaning up poor HTML.

The Doormouse

William Desrochers

Jeff Thies said:
Honestly, do you use that?

I myself use notepad, & also notetab light (freeware), with notetab i like
the option to find & replace text from multiple files, say from having to do
it by hand if you have a couple hundred pages, lol.

Nico Schuyt

Q&A said:
Please exclude DreamWave and MS word.
The best I ever used was FrontPage Express 2.0 back in 1999. MS
stopped the product. I can no longer find free download of it -- It
was 100% free originally.

Blink (free) is an alternative: http://wojanware.com/index.aspx

My personal requirements for the perfect editor are:
- a good stylesheet editor
and - create clean coding
and - allows editing in wysiwyg
and - enables applying styles from (multiple) internal- or external
stylesheets
and - has good support of PHP
and - built in validator
and - spell checker
and - table editor
and - format selected paragraphs into a list and vice versa
and - paste text from applications like MS-Word as plain paragraphs
and - add width and height properties to an imported image and change them
on refresh when the source image has changed
and - translates ASCII into HTML-characters
and - checks for broken links
and - is not too expensive

Though it doesn't meet with all the requirements, I still prefer FrontPage.