What is the best implementation for graph networks (edges+nodes+weights) ??

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tobias Merler, May 7, 2004.

  1. Ok, I could image hundreds of different implementations of a graph network.

    According to computer science graph theory a network consists of a variable number
    of nodes and edges from one node to some (but not necessaryily all) other nodes with a given
    weight. Before I re-invent the wheel:

    Does someone know a good implementation for java?

    It should be as small as possible but allow adding/subtracting nodes.
    Should doubled linked lists be used or should one allocate an array of nodes?
    Should one use lists or implement a matrix representation?
    Should one put the edges weights into the starting nodes or into separate
    objects?

    What is most efficient and convenient?

    Don't point me to an existing library cause I have to extend the code heavily for
    advanced purposes.

    Thank you
    Tobias

    Tobias Merler, May 7, 2004

  2. Tobias Merler

    J Guest

    On 2004-05-07 12:12:09 -0400, (Tobias Merler) said:

    > Ok, I could image hundreds of different implementations of a graph network.
    >
    > According to computer science graph theory a network consists of a
    > variable number
    > of nodes and edges from one node to some (but not necessaryily all)
    > other nodes with a given
    > weight. Before I re-invent the wheel:
    >
    > Does someone know a good implementation for java?
    >
    > It should be as small as possible but allow adding/subtracting nodes.
    > Should doubled linked lists be used or should one allocate an array of nodes?
    > Should one use lists or implement a matrix representation?
    > Should one put the edges weights into the starting nodes or into separate
    > objects?
    >
    > What is most efficient and convenient?
    >
    > Don't point me to an existing library cause I have to extend the code
    > heavily for
    > advanced purposes.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Tobias

    I wrote a graph library in C#. I had a single object that contains the
    objects/nodes and edges. The the edges where stored as objects. I
    could send you c# source, and porting it should be easy. Just email me.
    "If there is anything I can do for you or more to the point to you, let
    me know."

    J, May 12, 2004