  1. Guest

    what is the best embeded DB for Java Application?

    , Jan 11, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > what is the best embeded DB for Java Application?

    What is "best"?

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Steven S Guest

    Actually, could someone tell any embedded open source database
    products names?

    Cheers!

    Steven S, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Steven S" <> wrote in message
    > Actually, could someone tell any embedded open source database
    > products names?
    >
    > Cheers!

    By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run from
    within your java program, as opposed to a seperate process. I'm assuming you
    DON'T mean a DB for embedded devices (e.g. cellphones).

    I've used HSQL and am generally satisfied with it. The DB can be
    entirely in memory (and thus non-persisted), or persisted to disk in various
    formats.

    http://hsqldb.org/

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Oliver Wong wrote:
    > "Steven S" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Actually, could someone tell any embedded open source database
    >>products names?

    > I've used HSQL and am generally satisfied with it. The DB can be
    > entirely in memory (and thus non-persisted), or persisted to disk in various
    > formats.

    Apache Derby seems to be the big player these days. It was originally
    produced by Cloudscape in around 1996/7. Cloudscape was taken over by
    Informix. Informix was taken over by IBM. IBM have passed it onto Apache
    (but still use it as a basis for their commercial Cloudscape product).

    Derby is more mature than HSQL, more scalable, is more complete and has
    sensible defaults. It also appears to be backed by Sun as well as IBM.

    http://db.apache.org/derby/

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/

    Thomas Hawtin, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Roedy Green Guest

    On 11 Jan 2006 06:29:46 -0800, ""
    said :

    >what is the best embeded DB for Java Application?

    I don't know who is the best for your application, but for a list of
    them, see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sqlvendors.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Oliver Wong wrote on 11.01.2006 19:44:
    > "Steven S" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Actually, could someone tell any embedded open source database
    >>products names?
    >>
    >>Cheers!
    >>

    > By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run from
    > within your java program, as opposed to a seperate process. I'm assuming you
    > DON'T mean a DB for embedded devices (e.g. cellphones).
    >
    > I've used HSQL and am generally satisfied with it. The DB can be
    > entirely in memory (and thus non-persisted), or persisted to disk in various
    > formats.
    >
    > http://hsqldb.org/

    I second that!

    Thomas

    Thomas Kellerer, Jan 11, 2006

    > By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run from within your java program,

    Yes. I just mean it :)

    How about Berkeley DB?

    , Jan 12, 2006
  9. sez:
    >> By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run from within your java program,

    > Yes. I just mean it :)
    >
    > How about Berkeley DB?

    Everyone assumed assumed that by "DB" you mean SQL. BDB isn't,
    but if your application is happy with hashes -- sure, by all
    means.

    Dima
    --
    Relativity, Uncertainty, Incompleteness, Undecidability: choose any four

    Dimitri Maziuk, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
    > sez:
    >>> By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run
    >>> from within your java program,

    >> Yes. I just mean it :)
    >>
    >> How about Berkeley DB?

    > Everyone assumed assumed that by "DB" you mean SQL. BDB isn't,
    > but if your application is happy with hashes -- sure, by all
    > means.

    In that case serializing Maps to files could be an option, too. :)

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Jan 12, 2006