what is the best Java embeded DB?

Steven S

Actually, could someone tell any embedded open source database
products names?

Cheers!

Oliver Wong

Steven S said:
Actually, could someone tell any embedded open source database
products names?

Cheers!

By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run from
within your java program, as opposed to a seperate process. I'm assuming you
DON'T mean a DB for embedded devices (e.g. cellphones).

I've used HSQL and am generally satisfied with it. The DB can be
entirely in memory (and thus non-persisted), or persisted to disk in various
formats.

http://hsqldb.org/

- Oliver

Thomas Hawtin

Oliver said:
I've used HSQL and am generally satisfied with it. The DB can be
entirely in memory (and thus non-persisted), or persisted to disk in various
formats.

Apache Derby seems to be the big player these days. It was originally
produced by Cloudscape in around 1996/7. Cloudscape was taken over by
Informix. Informix was taken over by IBM. IBM have passed it onto Apache
(but still use it as a basis for their commercial Cloudscape product).

Derby is more mature than HSQL, more scalable, is more complete and has
sensible defaults. It also appears to be backed by Sun as well as IBM.

http://db.apache.org/derby/

Tom Hawtin

Thomas Kellerer

Oliver Wong wrote on 11.01.2006 19:44:
By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run from
within your java program, as opposed to a seperate process. I'm assuming you
DON'T mean a DB for embedded devices (e.g. cellphones).

I've used HSQL and am generally satisfied with it. The DB can be
entirely in memory (and thus non-persisted), or persisted to disk in various
formats.

http://hsqldb.org/

I second that!

Thomas

huangjun2

By "Java embedded DB", I assume you mean a DB which can be run from within your java program,

Yes. I just mean it :)

How about Berkeley DB?

Dimitri Maziuk

(e-mail address removed) sez:
Yes. I just mean it :)

How about Berkeley DB?

Everyone assumed assumed that by "DB" you mean SQL. BDB isn't,
but if your application is happy with hashes -- sure, by all
means.

Dima

Robert Klemme

Dimitri said:
(e-mail address removed) sez:

Everyone assumed assumed that by "DB" you mean SQL. BDB isn't,
but if your application is happy with hashes -- sure, by all
means.

In that case serializing Maps to files could be an option, too. :)

robert