    Thanks,

    Edward Tanguay
    All my projects: http://www.tanguay.info

    Edward, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Edward

    Max Muermann Guest

    On 9/8/06, Edward <> wrote:
    > So I want to develop ruby sites locally like I do PHP5 sites.
    > For PHP I use locally Apache to view and ZendPHPEclipse as my editor.
    >
    > How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?

    I think most people user Rails for Ruby web development. While using
    Ruby without Rails to develope web apps is certainly possible, I would
    not recommend it. Ruby is not like PHP in that respect - PHP was
    originally designed as a perl preprocessor. Ruby is a very
    comprehensive general-purpose programming language.

    The RDT plugin for eclipse is pretty good. There's also RadRails,
    which build on RDT and adds Railsy functionality.

    > (I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
    > first.)

    That's certainly a good idea, but web development is probably not the
    best way to do that.

    > Is debugging possible?

    Yes. The debugger that ships with Ruby is slow, but there is the
    ruby-debug gem, which speeds things up. It's a text-based debugger, at
    the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.

    That said, you don't really need a graphical debugger for Ruby. I was
    originally under the impression that I could not live without a
    debugger, but after getting to grips with the language I have found
    that it's just not necessary.

    Cheers,
    Max

    Max Muermann, Sep 8, 2006

  3. "Max Muermann" <> wrote in message

    > the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.

    If you have Visual Studio 2005, you can download the free version of Ruby In
    Steel which has a full suite of graphical debugging tools - breakpoints,
    trace into/over, drag-and-drop watch variables, locals, autos, call stack,
    integrated debug-and-eval console etc. :)

    best wishes
    Huw Collingbourne

    http://www.sapphiresteel.com
    Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005

    Huw Collingbourne, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Edward

    Ilan Berci Guest

    Re: what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environm

    Edward wrote:

    > How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?
    > (I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
    > first.)
    > Is debugging possible?

    I believe that you may be interested in http://www.nitroproject.org/
    and why's http://redhanded.hobix.com/bits/campingAMicroframework.html.
    Both of which are "lighter" than rails and may be what you are looking
    for.

    Nitro offers a very fast startup and has cool videos that I found very
    impr*ssive.

    why's camping framework is all there on one page and is quite the
    learning experience if you parse through it. It is one of the best
    examples on how Ruby can express so much out of so little (and the site
    is worth the visit just for the jokes alone)..

    Hope this helps

    p.s. The spam filter blocked me on impr*ssive, please replace the "*"
    with an "e" for your reading pleasure.. :)

    ilan

    Ilan Berci, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Re: [OT] what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environm

    Ilan Berci wrote:
    > p.s. The spam filter blocked me on impr*ssive, please replace the "*"
    > with an "e" for your reading pleasure.. :)

    *blink*

    It's final. The world is insane. Time to make a "The Ende Ys Neare"
    sandwich board.

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Sep 9, 2006
  6. Edward

    James Britt Guest

    Ilan Berci wrote:
    > Edward wrote:
    >
    >>How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?
    >>(I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
    >>first.)
    >>Is debugging possible?

    > I believe that you may be interested in http://www.nitroproject.org/
    > and why's http://redhanded.hobix.com/bits/campingAMicroframework.html.
    > Both of which are "lighter" than rails and may be what you are looking
    > for.
    >
    > Nitro offers a very fast startup and has cool videos that I found very
    > impr*ssive.
    >
    > why's camping framework is all there on one page and is quite the
    > learning experience if you parse through it. It is one of the best
    > examples on how Ruby can express so much out of so little (and the site
    > is worth the visit just for the jokes alone)..
    >
    > Hope this helps

    Also look for IOWA and Cerise.

    http://enigo.com/projects/iowa/tutorial/what_is_it.html
    http://cerise.rubyforge.org/

    --
    James Britt

    "A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
    not worth knowing."
    - A. Perlis

    James Britt, Sep 9, 2006
  7. On 9/7/06, Edward <> wrote:
    > So I want to develop ruby sites locally like I do PHP5 sites.
    > For PHP I use locally Apache to view and ZendPHPEclipse as my editor.
    >
    > How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?

    I haven't really used it much, but you might look into erb (or eruby).
    It works like php or jsp: you write html containing embedded Ruby code
    (an .rhtml file), and when you pass it through erb, the code gets
    executed while the .rhtml file is being processed. A standard Ruby
    install comes with erb. See the PickAxe for documentation on it.

    erb: Comes with Ruby, written in Ruby.
    eruby: Written in C (http://www.modruby.net/en/index.rbx/eruby/whatis.html).

    ---John

    John Gabriele, Sep 11, 2006
  8. Edward

    James Britt Guest

    Re: what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environment forwindows?

    Edward wrote:
    > So I want to develop ruby sites locally like I do PHP5 sites.
    > For PHP I use locally Apache to view and ZendPHPEclipse as my editor.
    >
    > How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?

    Nitro, or, for simpler stuff, Catapult.

    > (I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
    > first.)

    There are some interesting presumptions in that statement.

    --
    James Britt

    "The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with
    computing systems is a symptom of professional immaturity."
    - Edsger W. Dijkstra

    James Britt, Sep 11, 2006
  9. Edward

    Jeff Cohen Guest

    Huw Collingbourne wrote:
    > "Max Muermann" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.

    > If you have Visual Studio 2005, you can download the free version of
    > Ruby In
    > Steel which has a full suite of graphical debugging tools - breakpoints,
    > trace into/over, drag-and-drop watch variables, locals, autos, call
    > stack,
    > integrated debug-and-eval console etc. :)
    >
    > best wishes
    > Huw Collingbourne

    Huw, it sure would be nice if you contributed meaningfully to this list,
    at least once in a while, instead of just advertising on it.

    If not, we should make you put [ADV] on all your subject lines.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cohen, Sep 11, 2006
  10. Re: what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environm

    On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 04:20:36AM +0900, Jeff Cohen wrote:
    > Huw Collingbourne wrote:
    > > "Max Muermann" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.

    > > If you have Visual Studio 2005, you can download the free version of
    > > Ruby In
    > > Steel which has a full suite of graphical debugging tools - breakpoints,
    > > trace into/over, drag-and-drop watch variables, locals, autos, call
    > > stack,
    > > integrated debug-and-eval console etc. :)
    > >
    > > best wishes
    > > Huw Collingbourne

    > Huw, it sure would be nice if you contributed meaningfully to this list,
    > at least once in a while, instead of just advertising on it.
    >
    > If not, we should make you put [ADV] on all your subject lines.
    >
    > Jeff

    I don't think that's really fair. The poster was looking for a graphical
    debugger, Huw has his Visual Studio integration for ruby (which gives
    you a graphical debugger) and pointed it out as an option. Huw isn't
    selling anything, and he doesn't spam the list with "Ruby In Steel!!!"
    either. If you really think his occasional advocacy of his (free as in
    beer)
    software is so bad, you can always just killfile him.

    Logan Capaldo, Sep 12, 2006
  11. Re: what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environm

    Logan Capaldo wrote:
    > I don't think that's really fair. The poster was looking for a graphical
    > debugger, Huw has his Visual Studio integration for ruby (which gives

    I have to agree, here. While I normally despise people advertising
    stuff on mailing lists, this appears to be simply an answer to the
    question.

    I must say, though, that it somehow just feels 'wrong' to sell tools
    that help with open source projects. (Like Ruby.) Even if there's a
    'free version'. I fully realize that good software is hard to write and
    people must eat and all that... It just doesn't feel right to me.

    William Crawford, Sep 12, 2006
  12. Edward

    Jeff Cohen Guest

    Logan Capaldo wrote:
    > I don't think that's really fair. The poster was looking for a graphical
    > debugger, Huw has his Visual Studio integration for ruby (which gives
    > you a graphical debugger) and pointed it out as an option.

    Point taken, Logan. It's just that the only posts I've *ever* seen from
    Huw are links to his product. I think he *is* selling something, it
    happens to be a Ruby tool.

    I'm not at all against occasional advocacy at all - in fact it's one of
    the good things about this kind of list, I've found good resources
    through it and people have come to my blog through it, too. But I just
    think there's a difference between being a *part* of the community (like
    I know you are), and simply *using* the community.

    But if I sounded too harsh in my previous email, I do apologize.

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff Cohen, Sep 12, 2006
  13. Re: what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environm

    In message <>, William
    Crawford <> writes
    >'free version'. I fully realize that good software is hard to write and
    >people must eat and all that... It just doesn't feel right to me.

    I thought some people felt this way. I don't understand it. Is it OK to
    make your living using open source languages but not to make your living
    supporting open source languages? Surely those doing the latter are
    potentially helping those doing the former?

    Paying for a commercial tool such as Ruby In Steel is simply paying for
    a tool that makes you more productive at your work. That is no different
    to choosing a Mac to do your work rather than buying a bare bones PC and
    installing Linux on it, or buying a stainless steel spade to dig a
    garden. Those that choose the Mac think it will make them more
    productive than the Windows/Linux option. The Mac is a proprietary box
    with a lot of, but not all, open source software.

    Finally, if you want to get the mythical "pointy haired boss" that works
    for Big Enterprise Inc. to sign up for Ruby and/or RoR they are going to
    want to see commercial tool support.

    Stephen
    I'm reliably informed that stainless steel spades are a lot easier to
    use than ordinary ones. Thus, more productive.
    --
    Stephen Kellett
    Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html

    Stephen Kellett, Sep 12, 2006
  14. Re: what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environm

    Stephen Kellett wrote:
    > I thought some people felt this way. I don't understand it. Is it OK to
    > make your living using open source languages but not to make your living
    > supporting open source languages? Surely those doing the latter are
    > potentially helping those doing the former?

    I think it's simply an idealism problem. There's nothing logically
    wrong with it, I just never felt it was 'right'. If I could put it in
    words better, I would.

    William Crawford, Sep 12, 2006