What is the best ruby on rails doc/guide/tutorial/book ?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by anansi, Apr 29, 2007.

  1. anansi

    anansi Guest

    Hi,
    after playing a bit with ruby I also wanna put my head into ruby on
    rails. What is the best paper to learn from? What advice can you give me?

    --
    greets
    (
    )
    (
    /\ .-"""-. /\
    //\\/ ,,, \//\\
    |/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
    //\\\;-"""-;///\\
    // \/ . \/ \\
    (| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
    //`__\.-.-./__`\\
    // /.-(() ())-.\ \\
    (\ |) '---' (| /)
    ` (| |) `
    jgs \) (/

    one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
    dancing star

    anansi, Apr 29, 2007

  2. anansi

    Mike Shock Guest

    Hi!
    There're a lot of good books on Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.com/books)
    on paper and in PDF; the most popular probably are:
    1. "Agile Web Development with Rails", 2nd ed. by Dave Thomas & David
    Heinemeier Hansson (with Leon Breedt, Mike Clark, James Duncan Davidson,
    Justin Gehtland, Andreas Schwarz) - Pragmatic Programmers, 2006. 715 p.
    / PDF, 6.6 MB
    2. "Ruby on Rails: Up and Running" by Bruce A. Tate & Curt Hibbs -
    O'Reilly, 2006. 184 p. / CHM, 1.13 MB / PDF, 2.7 MB

    (1) is a classical comprehensive tutorial, (2) is very good for quick
    start.
    Some links to tutorials can be found at: http://www.rubyonrails.com/docs

    Regards,
    Mike Shock (Mikhail Shokhirev)

    Mike Shock, Apr 29, 2007

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Apr 29, 2007
  4. anansi

    barjunk Guest

    On Apr 29, 12:53 pm, Ewald Cress <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Amen to adding David's book to your collection!
    > Between that, "Agile Web Development with Rails" and
    > the Pickaxe, you've got your Ruby and Rails bases
    > covered, with precious little redundancy between them.
    > I really value David's book for giving one a feel for
    > Ruby idioms *and* Rails idioms though. As a newbie to
    > both, it has given me that bit more confidence in
    > understanding the two overlapping cultures.
    >
    > Ewald Cress
    >
    > --- "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <>
    > wrote:

    Being new to the community myself, I agree with these recommendations,
    especially PickAxe and David Black's book.

    Mike B.

    barjunk, Apr 29, 2007