What is the best way to extend a language?

Discussion in 'Java' started by PiedmontBiz, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. PiedmontBiz

    PiedmontBiz Guest

    I got an email with this link:

    Microsoft is working to extend C# by building xml and sql api support directly
    into the language.

    Quote:
    "The architects behind Xen believe that if an API is used frequently, it should
    be considered for incorporation into the primary language. The popularity of
    XML and relational data structures make them the most likely candidates for
    inclusion. "

    The problem I see about this is that 3rd party libraries would be broken or at
    least made irrelevant. Also learning the language would become a more
    formidable processess -at least 3 more inches to the manual :)

    What will be the real consequences of what MS is trying to do ? Or is this a
    good thing?

    A fuller treatment of it is at this site:
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~gmb/Papers/vanilla-xml2003.html

    Allen

    PiedmontBiz, Jan 21, 2004

  2. "PiedmontBiz" <> wrote in message
    | What will be the real consequences of what MS is trying to do ?
    Or is this a
    | good thing?

    MS and 'good thing' in the same sentence?!?

    No! Wait.., it's two sentences.
    All is in order.. ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 21, 2004

  3. PiedmontBiz

    Guest

    Hi.

    Please read

    homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/steele-oopsla98.pdf

    Its nearly a must-see for everybody dealing with programming
    languages.
    From my oppinion you are right. A library as part of the
    core language does not make sense.

    Bye,