What is the best way to extend a language?

PiedmontBiz

I got an email with this link:

Microsoft is working to extend C# by building xml and sql api support directly
into the language.

Quote:
"The architects behind Xen believe that if an API is used frequently, it should
be considered for incorporation into the primary language. The popularity of
XML and relational data structures make them the most likely candidates for
inclusion. "

The problem I see about this is that 3rd party libraries would be broken or at
least made irrelevant. Also learning the language would become a more
formidable processess -at least 3 more inches to the manual :)

What will be the real consequences of what MS is trying to do ? Or is this a
good thing?

A fuller treatment of it is at this site:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~gmb/Papers/vanilla-xml2003.html

Allen

Andrew Thompson

| What will be the real consequences of what MS is trying to do ?
Or is this a
| good thing?

MS and 'good thing' in the same sentence?!?

No! Wait.., it's two sentences.
All is in order.. ;-)

steffen.mazanek

Hi.

Please read

homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/steele-oopsla98.pdf

Its nearly a must-see for everybody dealing with programming
languages.
From my oppinion you are right. A library as part of the
core language does not make sense.

Bye,