What is the best way to track marketing campaigns (using IIS / asp.net 2.0)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ship, Jul 11, 2007.

  1. ship

    ship Guest

    Microsoft IIS (latest)
    asp.net 2.0

    Hi

    How can we track (numerous) separate marketing campaigns using IIS and
    asp.net (2.0)?

    (We are trying hard to AVOID having to set up a new directory for
    every single marketing campaign...
    so what is the best way to do create trackable URLs?)

    So for example if we publish a marketing URL (in say a printed
    newspaper) of

    "www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"

    ....then if the directory "/xyzabc" does not exist on our server, it
    will generate a 404 error, right?

    Now at present, the URL is then redirected to the page
    "www.ourdomain.com/movetonewsite.aspx" , which then
    redirects the user to the splash (i.e. welcome) page URL, which is:

    "www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?MovedTo=NewSite"

    The problem is that SOMEHOW we need to get the "xyzabc" bit added to
    the URL so that our
    marketing people can track it.
    i.e. ideally we would like it to be referred on to a URL such as:

    "www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
    MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"

    or better:

    "www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
    MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=xyzabc"

    Is there some clever way of to stuffing the referrer into the URL that
    the 404 error throws
    so that our marketing system (WebAbacus from Foviance) can readily
    track it?

    - Can anyone help?
    - What do other people do on other sites ?

    Many thanks

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    ship, Jul 11, 2007

  2. have you looked into any of the URL rewriting options

    http://pietschsoft.com/blog/post.aspx?postid=762

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Jul 11, 2007

  3. Hi,

    ISAPI_Rewrite can do alot of things when it comes to the URL. I am almost
    sure it can do what you are talking about in this post.

    http://www.isapirewrite.com/

    But...if there is a request for "/xyzabc", then it is logged in the IIS
    log file, and by this you should be able to at least get the number of
    requests this marketing campaign generated. But perhaps your tools gets
    you more information (such as sales numbers generated from the campaign),
    and therefore it is a must to rewrite the URL?

    (I mean, why make it difficult if you have all the necessary information
    alreadly).

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Regards,