    Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
    everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
    identical to C++ standard?

    pachanga, Dec 19, 2004

    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    >Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
    >everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
    >identical to C++ standard?

    Visual C++ is a compiler for the C++ language. As long as the code in
    question does not require third-party libraries or non-standard extensions,
    it will compile under any operating system.

    The C++ standard is there to ensure that code can be used on the different
    C++ compilers.

    Raymond Martineau, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Unlike earlier versions of Visual Studio, Visual Studio .NET 2003 C++
    compiler
    is very good at standard compliance.

    You should watch out for managed extensions etc. when compiling. I
    believe
    there is a compiler switch setting that will allow only ANSI compliant
    code.

    Deepa
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.5 - Generate sequence diagrams from plain text input

    EventHelix.com, Dec 19, 2004
  4. pachanga wrote:

    > I have Visual C++ .NET and C#.NET, but, I wanted to help out the C++
    > linux groups creating Windows Games,

    I am not sure I understood what you want to do...

    > and mostly internet applications.

    Then you need to learn some platform-specific library. If you know
    enough C++, and if you want to do Windows programming and since you have
    VC++ .NET, I suggest

    "Visual C++ .NET How To Program" by Deitel.

    http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0134373774,00.html

    It is very good, it covers even multithreading.

    However if you can wait, I suggest you wait for VC++ 2005 and the new
    C++/CLI standard.

    That said, the transition path of VC++ 2002/2003 to VC++ 2005 is
    relatively small, that is the API remains the same, only the system
    keywords change.

    > Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
    > everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
    > identical to C++ standard?

    VC++ is highly C++ standard compliant if this is what you mean.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    Ioannis Vranos, Dec 19, 2004
  5. pachanga

    Tom Widmer Guest

    pachanga wrote:
    > I have Visual C++ .NET and C#.NET, but, I wanted to help out the C++
    > linux groups creating Windows Games, and mostly internet applications.
    > Where can I can download the right tool or notepad and compiler that
    > everyone usally uses in places like SourceForge ? is Visual C++ .NET
    > identical to C++ standard?

    VC++ 2003 is close to the C++ standard. An alternative is GCC
    (gcc.gnu.org), which is even closer to the standard for language
    support, but slightly less close for library support. For Windows GCC,
    you need MinGW (www.mingw.org).

    Tom

    Tom Widmer, Dec 20, 2004