    replace that one jar and JSP? what is the common/best practice?
    thanks.

    s o
    s o, Aug 9, 2006

  2. s o

    Guest

    The safe way would be to deploy the whole WAR. Especially if you have
    an automated build process which tags your repository when you build a
    WAR.

    However with some app servers (eg Tomcat you could probably get by
    deploying just the jar).

    s o wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > let's say my web app has 10 modules and I created 10 jars(one jar for
    > each module) instead of 1 big jar; and the JSP's are subdivided into 10
    > folders. Initially, the app is deployed as one war file. Later, when
    > it's time to apply a fix that affects only one of the jars and one of
    > the JSP's, do you war everything and redeploy it or do you simply
    > replace that one jar and JSP? what is the common/best practice?
    > thanks.
    >
    > s o
    , Aug 9, 2006

  3. <> wrote in message
    > The safe way would be to deploy the whole WAR. Especially if you have
    > an automated build process which tags your repository when you build a
    > WAR.
    >
    > However with some app servers (eg Tomcat you could probably get by
    > deploying just the jar).

    That wouldn't be safe, though. If the directory containing the exploded app
    is ever deleted, Tomcat will re-expand the war and lose your fix.
    Mike Schilling, Aug 10, 2006
  4. s o wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > let's say my web app has 10 modules and I created 10 jars(one jar for
    > each module) instead of 1 big jar; and the JSP's are subdivided into 10
    > folders. Initially, the app is deployed as one war file. Later, when
    > it's time to apply a fix that affects only one of the jars and one of
    > the JSP's, do you war everything and redeploy it or do you simply
    > replace that one jar and JSP? what is the common/best practice?
    > thanks.
    >
    > s o

    The solution of replacing small parts of an application are preferable
    when it's more practical, for example when the application is very big
    and you have to download it. This is not normally the case of a web
    application. I would go for the war, it's the safer bet.
    Andrea Desole, Aug 10, 2006