what is the common practice to deploy a fix in J2EE

s o

Hi all,

let's say my web app has 10 modules and I created 10 jars(one jar for
each module) instead of 1 big jar; and the JSP's are subdivided into 10
folders. Initially, the app is deployed as one war file. Later, when
it's time to apply a fix that affects only one of the jars and one of
the JSP's, do you war everything and redeploy it or do you simply
replace that one jar and JSP? what is the common/best practice?
thanks.

s o

josh.s17

The safe way would be to deploy the whole WAR. Especially if you have
an automated build process which tags your repository when you build a
WAR.

However with some app servers (eg Tomcat you could probably get by
deploying just the jar).

Mike Schilling

The safe way would be to deploy the whole WAR. Especially if you have
an automated build process which tags your repository when you build a
WAR.

However with some app servers (eg Tomcat you could probably get by
deploying just the jar).

That wouldn't be safe, though. If the directory containing the exploded app
is ever deleted, Tomcat will re-expand the war and lose your fix.

Andrea Desole

s said:
Hi all,

let's say my web app has 10 modules and I created 10 jars(one jar for
each module) instead of 1 big jar; and the JSP's are subdivided into 10
folders. Initially, the app is deployed as one war file. Later, when
it's time to apply a fix that affects only one of the jars and one of
the JSP's, do you war everything and redeploy it or do you simply
replace that one jar and JSP? what is the common/best practice?
thanks.

s o
The solution of replacing small parts of an application are preferable
when it's more practical, for example when the application is very big
and you have to download it. This is not normally the case of a web
application. I would go for the war, it's the safer bet.