What is the correct way to make a confirmation email?

Mahernoz

Hi Friends,

I have a Registration page which uses Asp.net CreateUserWizard
Control. Now I want to send a unique value(a guid) by which i can be
sure that the email address is of that user only. I will provide a
Textbox in the next step which the user has to input so that his email
address is confirmed.

Do you know how this is done with the CreateUserWizard Control?

If not the answer then any link?

Regards,
Mahernoz

Neo Geshel

Mahernoz said:
Hi Friends,

I have a Registration page which uses Asp.net CreateUserWizard
Control. Now I want to send a unique value(a guid) by which i can be
sure that the email address is of that user only. I will provide a
Textbox in the next step which the user has to input so that his email
address is confirmed.

Do you know how this is done with the CreateUserWizard Control?

If not the answer then any link?

Regards,
Mahernoz

Well, one way you could do this is to make all new user accounts
disabled by default. Then, upon completion of the sign-up process, an
e-mail with a link is sent to the user. The link points to a special
page whose only purpose is to change the status of the account from
disabled to enabled.

If you want to have another layer of security, you can randomly generate
a number, and put that number into the DB and the e-mail. That way, only
the person who gets that e-mail would be able to click on the link and
provide the number.

And upon reading your post a third time, I am also under the impression
that you *might* be asking about the “read image and type its contents
into this field to validate†feature found on many web sites these days.
If so, there is at least one publicly available CAPTCHA service on the
net... http://www.easycfm.com/ws/ ...this service would allow you to
provide the user with an image that contains a code, and that they would
have to put the code into another field and have it verified before they
could be validated.

In the end, a mix of all three methods would be the most secure, but
also the most annoying to end users. The first one is probably the most
accessible, and the last is probably the most convenient.

I hope this helps.
...Geshel
My return e-mail address is an automatically monitored spam honeypot.
Do not send e-mail there unless you wish to be reported as a spammer.
Please send all e-mail to my first name at my last name dot org, with
a subject-line of “NEWSGROUP REPLY FOR NEO GESHEL†(all uppercase).