  1. I am not sure about the differences between the three java message protocols mentioned in the subject.
    Ok, they are different protocols but what are the (dis)advantages of each (particularly betwen JMS and RMI)?

    Anan
    Anan H. Samiti, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Anan H. Samiti

    Rick Huby Guest

    I have no idea about JMS to be honest but as I understand it, SOAP is
    basically XML based messages sent over the HTTP protocol (ie like
    submitting form data in a web page). This means that messages can be
    'decoded' on the other side by any other language, such as PHP, ASP or
    whatever as they are in a format those languages understand.

    RMI is about connecting directly up to another application, system or
    whatever directly, using PORTs and IP addresses. The major
    disadvantage that I know of for this kind of thing is that you can
    only communicate with other applications written in Java (well, unless
    you want to get involved in CORBA).

    I am far from an authority on this subject however so you might be
    best getting some advice from elsewhere...

    Hope my small insight helped though...

    Rick Huby, Oct 6, 2004