    What is the difference? what that means for Search Engines?
    And, if means something, what is better?

    thanx for any suggestion...

    Fufi, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Fufi wrote:

    > Difference between:
    >
    > <META content="News, news, ..." name=KEYWORDS>
    >
    > and
    >
    > <META name="KEYWORDS" content="News, news, ...">
    >
    > You can note that the Content and the name are the same,
    > but in the first case the name KEWORDS is without Quotes,
    > and is after the content.
    >
    > What is the difference?

    There is no difference - neither the order of attributes nor the omitted
    quotes for the name attribute matter (in this case).
    Usually you have to quote the attribute value - the quotes can only be
    omitted in some special cases like here (only letters).

    > what that means for Search Engines?

    Nothing at all - and for some major engines even less than that, because
    they ignore the 'keywords' meta element completely.

    > And, if means something, what is better?

    Even if there is no difference, many people (and the HTML spec) consider it
    good practice to always use quotes - at least you don't have to remember
    which characters are allowed in the attribute value when you omit the
    quotes.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Fufi

    Fufi Guest

    what an a perfect response!

    very thanx

    This is so strange that Major Search Engines ignores Keywords,
    and I belive you, by knowing pople confirms your answer about.

    I am surprised on that the M.S.E. use this method...
    The result is that the Page Makers put Keywords in the title tag
    and this is not logic and not a stuff regarding a computer sane mentum
    environ.

    I don't know if they have future...

    thanx again

    Fufi, Sep 23, 2005
  4. Fufi

    PretLetters Guest

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    > Usually you have to quote the attribute value - the quotes can only be
    > omitted in some special cases like here (only letters).

    Having to quote attribute values depends on two things:
    - the doctype you choose to use;
    - whether or not the value has spaces in it.

    For HTML4.01 Transitional you are not required to quote values for
    example.

    --
    -- --<--@ -- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ----------
    weblog | http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html

    PretLetters, Sep 23, 2005
  5. Fufi

    PretLetters Guest

    Fufi wrote:

    Please do _not_ top-post. Insert your reply underneath the parts you
    respond to and delete the parts you don't do anything with. Also delete
    the signature of the messages you reply to (all underneath and
    including -- at the end of a message).

    > This is so strange that Major Search Engines ignores Keywords,

    Not so strange if you consider how very easy it is to abuse that
    feature. One can put anything as a value for <meta name="keywords"
    content="foo bar anything you want but is not representating the page
    at all">. As is with description. And people did make abuse of this. So
    SE's decided to rely on what is _in_ the page rather than what the
    author said was in the page.
    With the description though: in some cases SE's will show the
    description of a page, so they seem to index it. But they don't
    actually use the description to decide on what the page is about.

    PretLetters, Sep 23, 2005
  6. Fufi

    Els Guest

    PretLetters wrote:

    > --
    > --- --<--@ --- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ---------

    Barbara, your sig sep is broken...

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Sep 23, 2005
  7. Els wrote:
    > PretLetters wrote:
    >
    >> --
    >> --- --<--@ --- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ---------

    > Barbara, your sig sep is broken...

    More G2.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 23, 2005
  8. Fufi

    PretLetters Guest

    Els wrote:
    > PretLetters wrote:
    >
    >> --
    >> --- --<--@ --- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ---------

    > Barbara, your sig sep is broken...

    I see. Somehow I can't get new messages through my own newsserver,
    alt.html only. Maybe since the hostile take over from our neighbours
    from alt.2600, the server decided not to carry it anymore. I don't
    know. So for alt.html only I use Google Groups. Or try to. Didn't know
    that the -- (dash dash space thingy) doesn't get obeyed by Google.
    Damn.

    Thanks,
    Barbara

    PretLetters, Sep 23, 2005
  9. Fufi

    Els Guest

    PretLetters wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> PretLetters wrote:
    >>
    >>> --
    >>> --- --<--@ --- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ---------

    >> Barbara, your sig sep is broken...
    >>

    > I see. Somehow I can't get new messages through my own newsserver,
    > alt.html only. Maybe since the hostile take over from our neighbours
    > from alt.2600,

    I've heard about that, never see any of it though ;-)

    > the server decided not to carry it anymore.

    Use a different server?
    <cough>Uni Berlin</cough> ;-)

    > I don't
    > know. So for alt.html only I use Google Groups. Or try to. Didn't know
    > that the -- (dash dash space thingy) doesn't get obeyed by Google.
    > Damn.

    But it does - just did a filter on googlegroups message IDs, and for
    instance Travis Newbury's posts do have a proper sig separator.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Sep 23, 2005
  10. Fufi

    PretLetters Guest

    Els wrote:
    > PretLetters wrote:
    >
    >> know. So for alt.html only I use Google Groups. Or try to. Didn't know
    >> that the -- (dash dash space thingy) doesn't get obeyed by Google.
    >> Damn.

    > But it does - just did a filter on googlegroups message IDs, and for
    > instance Travis Newbury's posts do have a proper sig separator.

    Really? No idea how he does that then.

    --

    <g>

    PretLetters, Sep 23, 2005
  11. Fufi

    Els Guest

    PretLetters wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >> PretLetters wrote:
    >>
    >>> know. So for alt.html only I use Google Groups. Or try to. Didn't know
    >>> that the -- (dash dash space thingy) doesn't get obeyed by Google.
    >>> Damn.

    >> But it does - just did a filter on googlegroups message IDs, and for
    >> instance Travis Newbury's posts do have a proper sig separator.

    > Really? No idea how he does that then.

    Okay, you can give away the secret now - what special trick did you
    use? :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Sep 23, 2005
  12. Fufi

    PretLetters Guest

    [OT] on Google and sigs (was: Re: What is the difference between Meta Tags?)

    Els wrote:
    > PretLetters wrote:
    >> Els wrote:
    >>> just did a filter on googlegroups message IDs, and for
    >>> instance Travis Newbury's posts do have a proper sig separator.

    >> Really? No idea how he does that then.

    > Okay, you can give away the secret now - what special trick did you
    > use? :)

    I was just joking a bit with that previous post and meanwhile trying to
    figure out if it is really possible (and if so, how) to add a proper
    sig separator. Using various ways to reply (with or without preview,
    from the singled out post et cetera), using an additional empty line
    between the separator and the sig itself, testing about a bit.

    I didn't work with that previous post I guess, or did it?

    --

    different ways all end up in the same result, or so it seems.

    PretLetters, Sep 23, 2005
  13. Fufi

    Els Guest

    Re: [OT] on Google and sigs

    PretLetters wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> PretLetters wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Really? No idea how he does that then.

    >> Okay, you can give away the secret now - what special trick did you
    >> use? :)
    >>

    > I was just joking a bit with that previous post and meanwhile trying to
    > figure out if it is really possible (and if so, how) to add a proper
    > sig separator. Using various ways to reply (with or without preview,
    > from the singled out post et cetera), using an additional empty line
    > between the separator and the sig itself, testing about a bit.
    >
    > I didn't work with that previous post I guess, or did it?

    I didn't work on the one I saw without a sig, but it did work where
    you had the sig separator followed by a "<g>".

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Sep 23, 2005
  14. PretLetters wrote:

    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >> Usually you have to quote the attribute value - the quotes can only be
    >> omitted in some special cases like here (only letters).
    >>

    > Having to quote attribute values depends on two things:
    > - the doctype you choose to use;

    There is no difference between the strict and transitional versions of HTML4
    in this regard. There _is_ a difference between HTML and XHTML - in XHTML
    the quotes must be present. I did not consider XHTML here, because the code
    snip of the OP was obviously HTML.

    > - whether or not the value has spaces in it.

    It's not that easy. The exact list of allowed characters in unquoted
    attribute values can be found in the spec, section "3.2.2 Attributes":

    <quote>
    In certain cases, authors may specify the value of an attribute without any
    quotation marks. The attribute value may only contain letters (a-z and
    A-Z), digits (0-9), hyphens (ASCII decimal 45), periods (ASCII decimal 46),
    underscores (ASCII decimal 95), and colons (ASCII decimal 58). We recommend
    using quotation marks even when it is possible to eliminate them.
    </quote>

    > For HTML4.01 Transitional you are not required to quote values for
    > example.

    Not true, see above.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Sep 23, 2005
  15. Fufi

    Mazin07 Guest

    Close your tag too, per XHTML specs.

    ^

    Mazin07, Sep 24, 2005
  16. Re: [OT] on Google and sigs

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:58:39 +0200, Els <> wrote:

    > PretLetters wrote:
    >
    >> Els wrote:

    [ getting the sig separator working with Google Groups ]

    >> I didn't work with that previous post I guess, or did it?

    > I didn't work on the one I saw without a sig, but it did work where
    > you had the sig separator followed by a "<g>".

    It must be the extra line between the dash_dash_space and the signature block.
    Anyway, meanwhile I did go back to individual.net. :) Just can't ignore the
    good quality server they are. Once you've been there, all other newsservers seem
    .... I don't know... Individual spoils its users I guess.

    Barbara de Zoete, Sep 24, 2005