What is the error?

Bertilo Wennergren

Samuël van Laere said:
I've just validated the stylesheet i use on my site,
it seems to contain one error, but i haven't got a clue what that error is.
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.fortron.ne
t%2Ftest.css&warning=2&profile=css2&usermedium=all

The problem is in this part:

.navigation ul:a {
background-color: transparent;
background-image: none;
color: #27527A;
text-decoration: none;
}

"ul:a" means nothing.

I have no idea why the validator couldn't give you the correct line
number. That's really strange.

Samuël van Laere

Toby A Inkster said:
As well as the error Bertilo pointed out, replace the first "a" with
"a:link". No, they're not always the same thing!

I've fixt the error you pointed out Toby thanks,
but as for the error Bertilo mentioned:
I can't seem to find a way to fix it.
I changed .navigation ul: a
to:
.navigation ul a:

But that isn't valid either, so what is the valid syntax?
Seems wierd to me since .navigation ul a:hover is valid.
Any idea's?

With regards,
Samuël van Laere

rf

I can't seem to find a way to fix it.
I changed .navigation ul: a
to:
.navigation ul a:

But that isn't valid either, so what is the valid syntax?

..navigation ul a
Seems wierd to me since .navigation ul a:hover is valid.

it's :hover that gets added, not hover.

Cheers
Richard.

Samuël van Laere

rf said:
.navigation ul a

it's :hover that gets added, not hover.

Cheers
Richard.

Richard,

I've tried your method in a different stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/valid.css
And it validates.

But now the same definitions are in this stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/test.css
And it does not validate, but the validator doesn't point to anything else
but the
..navigation ul a

Any idea's what else might cause this problem?
Cause i'm lost.

Regards,
Samuël van Laere

Samuël van Laere

Samuël van Laere said:
Richard,

I've tried your method in a different stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/valid.css
And it validates.

But now the same definitions are in this stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/test.css
And it does not validate, but the validator doesn't point to anything else
but the
.navigation ul a

Any idea's what else might cause this problem?
Cause i'm lost.

Regards,
Samuël van Laere

Its fixt now, i misunderstood Toby <g>
Thanks for the help everyone.

Regards,
Samuël van Laere
the Netherlands

Samuël van Laere

rf said:
.navigation ul a

it's :hover that gets added, not hover.

Cheers
Richard.

Could i also use the following?
..navigation ul a:link

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Samuël

Eric Bohlman

But now the same definitions are in this stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/test.css
And it does not validate, but the validator doesn't point to anything
else but the
.navigation ul a

Any idea's what else might cause this problem?
Cause i'm lost.

The validator must have been having a bad day, because I just ran it
through the W3C's validator and it found no problems.

As has been mentioned before, that really should be ".navigation ul
a:link"; using an unqualified "a" in a selector can come back to bite you
(if you ever introduce an <a name="..."> anchor into your HTML, it will
pick up a style that's probably not what you intended).

rf

Samuël van Laere said:
"rf" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
I've tried your method in a different stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/valid.css
And it validates.

As it should :)
But now the same definitions are in this stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/test.css
And it does not validate, but the validator doesn't point to anything else
but the
.navigation ul a

I just validated that URI here and it *does* validate but then again I see
no such selector in that file. I see .navigation ul a:link etc but no
..navigation ul a.
Any idea's what else might cause this problem?
Cause i'm lost.

Stuck in a cache somewhere?

Cheers
Ricahrd.

Samuël van Laere

Eric Bohlman said:
The validator must have been having a bad day, because I just ran it
through the W3C's validator and it found no problems.

As has been mentioned before, that really should be ".navigation ul
a:link"; using an unqualified "a" in a selector can come back to bite you
(if you ever introduce an <a name="..."> anchor into your HTML, it will
pick up a style that's probably not what you intended).

It never occured to me that "a" could bite.
I'll be more carefull next time.
You've even answered my latest question so that why i updates the stylesheet
with:
..navigation ul a:link

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Samuël van Laere

Samuël van Laere

rf said:
As it should :)

I just validated that URI here and it *does* validate but then again I see
no such selector in that file. I see .navigation ul a:link etc but no
.navigation ul a.

Stuck in a cache somewhere?

Cheers
Ricahrd.

Richard,
The problem is now solved :))
In fact i also did some other changes since TopStyle
show some potentional trouble with this:
border: bla bla;
border-top: none;

So i just changed it to:
border-bottom: bla bla;
border-left: bla bla;
border-right: bla bla;
border-top: none;

Not that bla bla is valid in this context ;)
Though i'm sure IE wouldn't mind <g>

Thanks for the help folks.

Regards,
Samuël