    What is the Latest JVM Specification Document? The 2nd Edition?

    TIA.
    , Apr 29, 2008

  2. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    wrote:
    > What is the Latest JVM Specification Document? The 2nd Edition?

    I believe so.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 29, 2008

  3. Mark Space Guest

    wrote:
    > What is the Latest JVM Specification Document? The 2nd Edition?
    >
    > TIA.

    I think it's second edition also.

    <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/>

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Virtual_Machine>

    I don't see any information to contradict that idea.
    Mark Space, Apr 29, 2008

    Thanks a lot.

    Further question please:

    Any open source code for implementation of the JVM?

    TIA.
    , Apr 29, 2008
  5. wrote:
    > What is the Latest JVM Specification Document? The 2nd Edition?
    >
    > TIA.

    The Java Virtual Machine Specification, 2nd Edition
    <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/>, as amended by
    <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/second_edition/jvms-clarify.html>.

    The main points to be aware of are the gobs of class file changes (I can
    only find the Java 6 class file spec in its JSR, hidden deep) from Java
    5, the modification to the ldc instruction, and the introduction of
    invokedynamic.

    Since my involvement with the JVM internals only takes me as far as the
    class file and instruction set semantics, I don't know how substantive
    the other changes where.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Apr 29, 2008
  6. wrote:
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Further question please:
    >
    > Any open source code for implementation of the JVM?

    Open JDK is probably the biggest one. <http://openjdk.java.net/>

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Apr 29, 2008

    Thanks. It is really helpful.

    On Apr 29, 2:37 pm, Joshua Cranmer <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > What is the Latest JVM Specification Document? The 2nd Edition?

    > > TIA.

    > The Java Virtual Machine Specification, 2nd Edition
    > <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/>, as amended by
    > <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jvms/second_edition/jvms-clarify.html>.
    >
    > The main points to be aware of are the gobs of class file changes (I can
    > only find the Java 6 class file spec in its JSR, hidden deep) from Java
    > 5, the modification to the ldc instruction, and the introduction of
    > invokedynamic.
    >
    > Since my involvement with the JVM internals only takes me as far as the
    > class file and instruction set semantics, I don't know how substantive
    > the other changes where.
    >
    > --
    > Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
    > tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    , Apr 29, 2008
  8. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Arne Vajhøj, May 4, 2008