What is the math behind the sessionid?

Bill

I'm wondering how unique the sessionid is in ASP. What is the math
behind it's creation, and what are the probobolities of it being
reproduced, i.e. 1/10000? or 1 in twenty million? Can someone give me
some guidance on this? I'm trying to create some unique numbers for
data assignement, and would like a way that does not replicate.

Thanks,

Bill

Ken Schaefer

Where are you storing the data?

Also, for creating unique IDs, you can use functions to return a GUID.

Cheers
Ken

: I'm wondering how unique the sessionid is in ASP. What is the math
: behind it's creation, and what are the probobolities of it being
: reproduced, i.e. 1/10000? or 1 in twenty million? Can someone give me
: some guidance on this? I'm trying to create some unique numbers for
: data assignement, and would like a way that does not replicate.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Bill

Tom B

The Session ID's aren't intended to be unique for ever. Only as long as a
session is active. If you want unique values, you have a few choices, GUIDs
(as Chris suggested) or my favorite, incrementing numbers.