    Thanks,

    Li

    http://mail.yahoo.com

    chen li, Dec 14, 2006

  2. chen li

    Li Chen Guest

    Paul Lutus wrote:
    > Basically, in VBA, "dim" causes a variable to be declared and associated
    > with a predefined data type or class.

    In Ruby def is a breviation for the word define and what is the full
    name for dim in VBA? I want to know it just out of curiocity. I don't
    pay much attention to VBA but when I use WIN32OLE for Excel automation I
    would like to know a little more.

    Thanks,

    Li

    Li Chen, Dec 14, 2006

  3. chen li

    Mike Stok Guest

    On 14-Dec-06, at 4:09 AM, Li Chen wrote:

    > Paul Lutus wrote:
    >> Basically, in VBA, "dim" causes a variable to be declared and
    >> associated
    >> with a predefined data type or class.

    > In Ruby def is a breviation for the word define and what is the full
    > name for dim in VBA? I want to know it just out of curiocity. I don't
    > pay much attention to VBA but when I use WIN32OLE for Excel
    > automation I
    > would like to know a little more.

    My vague memories of Basic (not Visual Basic) include using DIM to
    dimension arrays - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
    Dartmouth_BASIC#List_of_statements

    I don't know when it changed into a general declaration lead-in.

    Mike

    --

    Mike Stok <>
    http://www.stok.ca/~mike/

    The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.

    Mike Stok, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Li Chen wrote:
    > Paul Lutus wrote:
    >
    >> Basically, in VBA, "dim" causes a variable to be declared and associated
    >> with a predefined data type or class.
    >>

    > In Ruby def is a breviation for the word define and what is the full
    > name for dim in VBA? I want to know it just out of curiocity. I don't
    > pay much attention to VBA but when I use WIN32OLE for Excel automation I
    > would like to know a little more.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Li

    DIMension -- from the original Dartmouth BASIC, which descended from
    FORTRAN, where DIMENSION is spelled out.

    HTH.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Dec 14, 2006
  5. chen li

    Li Chen Guest

    Li Chen, Dec 14, 2006
  6. chen li

    Tom Werner Guest

    chen li wrote:
    > Dim in VBA is a key word used to define variable. But
    > what does it stand for? For example
    >
    > Dim varCopy As Long

    VB was actually created as a joke programming language by a college
    student. He used 'Dim' for variable definition as a tongue-in-cheek
    insult to those foolish enough to stumble across and end up using his
    little project. Ironically, Microsoft ended up picking up the fledgling
    language as their script of choice for business app customization, much
    to the delight of the language's originator--for what could make better
    comedy than throngs of business professionals typing Dim all day long,
    secure in the thought that they were using a productive programming
    language. Just the thought of it still makes me twitter with glee.

    Tom

    Tom Werner, Dec 14, 2006
  7. Re: What is the meaning of Dim

    That story is untrue, and I believe meant as a joke. :)

    At least I hope so, because the proper explanation is that Dim means
    "dimension" as others mentioned before.

    --Jeremy

    Jeremy McAnally, Dec 14, 2006