    guesses) about which java web frameworks are likely to be the
    dominating ones in the next years to come ?

    , Mar 1, 2008

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:24:48 -0800 (PST),

    >Here are about 30 of them listed in alphabetical
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#Java
    >but there is not any kind of ranking about the popularity.

    I have composed a list of about 60 of them too: see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html
    with links to them.

    I am annoyed with the computing community for putting so much effort
    into reinventing the wheel. There are so many other problems without
    any solutions. See http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html

    Further these solutions are not sufficiently different from each other
    to justify separate existence. Further all of them are butt ugly.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Mar 2, 2008

  3. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Re: What is the most popular java framework for web applications?

    wrote:
    > I am trying to figure out which java web app frameworks that are the
    > best to choose to learn.
    > Here are about 30 of them listed in alphabetical
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#Java
    > but there is not any kind of ranking about the popularity.
    >
    > Are there any polls/votings available on the net where you can figure
    > out which ones are the most popular ones ?

    Search Google.

    Search at dice.com or monster.com.

    > Are there some kind of strong indicators (or only totally wild
    > guesses) about which java web frameworks are likely to be the
    > dominating ones in the next years to come ?

    1. Struts
    2. JSF

    expect them to switch places soon.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 2, 2008
  4. David Segall Guest

    wrote:

    >I am trying to figure out which java web app frameworks that are the
    >best to choose to learn.
    >Here are about 30 of them listed in alphabetical
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#Java
    >but there is not any kind of ranking about the popularity.
    >
    >Are there any polls/votings available on the net where you can figure
    >out which ones are the most popular ones ?
    >
    >Does anyone know of some statistics about which java web framework
    >skills that are currently most frequently desired in job
    >advertisements ?
    >
    >Are there some kind of strong indicators (or only totally wild
    >guesses) about which java web frameworks are likely to be the
    >dominating ones in the next years to come ?

    I decided that the answer to the last question is Java Server Faces.
    My decision was based on the content of both the Sun
    <http://developers.sun.com/> and Oracle
    <http://www.oracle.com/technology/index.html> developer sites and the
    free development tools they provided. Although not so obvious, the IBM
    site <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/> seems to confirm the trend.
    I'm a newcomer to both Java and web applications so my conclusion is
    based entirely on my reading and not on industry experience. I was
    also influenced by attempting to read a book on Struts which was very
    heavy going compared to writing some elementary JSF code :)

    David Segall, Mar 2, 2008
  5. Lew Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > I decided that the answer to the last question is Java Server Faces.
    > My decision was based on the content of both the Sun
    > <http://developers.sun.com/> and Oracle
    > <http://www.oracle.com/technology/index.html> developer sites and the
    > free development tools they provided. Although not so obvious, the IBM
    > site <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/> seems to confirm the trend.
    > I'm a newcomer to both Java and web applications so my conclusion is
    > based entirely on my reading and not on industry experience. I was
    > also influenced by attempting to read a book on Struts which was very
    > heavy going compared to writing some elementary JSF code :)

    I've been working with JSF for the past several months, having experience with
    Struts and "Model 2" programming without a framework. I see why JSF is
    gaining traction, and I agree with the prediction.

    JSF has actually been around for a couple of years. Given the conservatism
    with which folks adopt new Java stuff, like versions of the language, and the
    JSF learning curve, I'm not too surprised at the delay in adoption. Given the
    power of the framework, I'm not too surprised that it survived and is growing.

    The key for me was thinking of JSF as a full-fledged GUI component framework à
    la Swing, not just another JSP markup-template language. Then I discovered
    the multiplicity of JSF-based projects like Tobago, and the ease with which
    JSF components work with AJAX and Javascript generally (it loves the DOJO
    toolkit), and the readiness with which one can do somewhat more advanced
    binding of tags to methods or logic classes, even to write new JSF components,
    and I became a total convert. JSF allows me to do great things solo that I
    would have needed a team to accomplish previously.

    I believe quite a number of Java practitioners are making similar discoveries
    and are training themselves up on JSF. Once the developers grab onto such a
    thing /en masse/, its adoption or even dominance in production becomes nearly
    certain.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 2, 2008