What is the most popular java framework for web applications ?

tomjbr.56770318

I am trying to figure out which java web app frameworks that are the
best to choose to learn.
Here are about 30 of them listed in alphabetical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#Java
but there is not any kind of ranking about the popularity.

Are there any polls/votings available on the net where you can figure
out which ones are the most popular ones ?

Does anyone know of some statistics about which java web framework
skills that are currently most frequently desired in job
advertisements ?

Are there some kind of strong indicators (or only totally wild
guesses) about which java web frameworks are likely to be the
dominating ones in the next years to come ?

Roedy Green

Here are about 30 of them listed in alphabetical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#Java
but there is not any kind of ranking about the popularity.

I have composed a list of about 60 of them too: see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/framework.html
with links to them.

I am annoyed with the computing community for putting so much effort
into reinventing the wheel. There are so many other problems without
any solutions. See http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html

Further these solutions are not sufficiently different from each other
to justify separate existence. Further all of them are butt ugly.

Arne Vajhøj

I am trying to figure out which java web app frameworks that are the
best to choose to learn.
Here are about 30 of them listed in alphabetical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#Java
but there is not any kind of ranking about the popularity.

Are there any polls/votings available on the net where you can figure
out which ones are the most popular ones ?

Search Google.

Search at dice.com or monster.com.
Are there some kind of strong indicators (or only totally wild
guesses) about which java web frameworks are likely to be the
dominating ones in the next years to come ?

1. Struts
2. JSF

expect them to switch places soon.

Arne

David Segall

I am trying to figure out which java web app frameworks that are the
best to choose to learn.
Here are about 30 of them listed in alphabetical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#Java
but there is not any kind of ranking about the popularity.

Are there any polls/votings available on the net where you can figure
out which ones are the most popular ones ?

Does anyone know of some statistics about which java web framework
skills that are currently most frequently desired in job
advertisements ?

Are there some kind of strong indicators (or only totally wild
guesses) about which java web frameworks are likely to be the
dominating ones in the next years to come ?
I decided that the answer to the last question is Java Server Faces.
My decision was based on the content of both the Sun
<http://developers.sun.com/> and Oracle
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/index.html> developer sites and the
free development tools they provided. Although not so obvious, the IBM
site <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/> seems to confirm the trend.
I'm a newcomer to both Java and web applications so my conclusion is
based entirely on my reading and not on industry experience. I was
also influenced by attempting to read a book on Struts which was very
heavy going compared to writing some elementary JSF code :)

Lew

David said:
I decided that the answer to the last question is Java Server Faces.
My decision was based on the content of both the Sun
<http://developers.sun.com/> and Oracle
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/index.html> developer sites and the
free development tools they provided. Although not so obvious, the IBM
site <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/> seems to confirm the trend.
I'm a newcomer to both Java and web applications so my conclusion is
based entirely on my reading and not on industry experience. I was
also influenced by attempting to read a book on Struts which was very
heavy going compared to writing some elementary JSF code :)

I've been working with JSF for the past several months, having experience with
Struts and "Model 2" programming without a framework. I see why JSF is
gaining traction, and I agree with the prediction.

JSF has actually been around for a couple of years. Given the conservatism
with which folks adopt new Java stuff, like versions of the language, and the
JSF learning curve, I'm not too surprised at the delay in adoption. Given the
power of the framework, I'm not too surprised that it survived and is growing.

The key for me was thinking of JSF as a full-fledged GUI component framework à
la Swing, not just another JSP markup-template language. Then I discovered
the multiplicity of JSF-based projects like Tobago, and the ease with which
JSF components work with AJAX and Javascript generally (it loves the DOJO
toolkit), and the readiness with which one can do somewhat more advanced
binding of tags to methods or logic classes, even to write new JSF components,
and I became a total convert. JSF allows me to do great things solo that I
would have needed a team to accomplish previously.

I believe quite a number of Java practitioners are making similar discoveries
and are training themselves up on JSF. Once the developers grab onto such a
thing /en masse/, its adoption or even dominance in production becomes nearly
certain.