WHAT IS THE POINT OF FORMMAIL ?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Nomen Nescio, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. Nomen Nescio

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.

    3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more safely.

    Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that many hosts
    ban it outright.

    Clunky, outdated shit and if you have an old version it is full of holes and
    exploits for hackers and spammers.

    **** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless shit. go away formmail

    3. Matt Wright Formmail attack

    The Formmail package has become a favorite tool of spammers.

    Formmail allows a website to email form submissions to an email account. If
    left unpatched a malicious user can send spam simply by including the list
    of target email addresses in an HTTP request to Formmail. This behavior makes
    tracking down the origin of the spam difficult because the only place the spammers
    IP address is saved is in the Web logs of the affected site.

    FormMail is a widely-used web-based e-mail gateway, which allows form-based
    input to be emailed to a specified user.

    When the form is submitted, the commands will be executed on the host, with
    the privileges of the webserver process. This might be leveraged by the attacker
    to gain local access to the host.

    http://www.securityfocus.com/corporate/research/top10attacks_q1_2002.shtml
    Nomen Nescio, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Nomen Nescio

    Uri Guttman Guest

    NN> WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
    NN> 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and
    NN> more safely.

    WHAT IS THE POINT OF PHP? WHY ARE YOU LIVING? WHY DID YOU SHOUT YOUR
    SUBJECT? WHY IS THE SKY BLUE?

    WHY ARE YOU ENTERING KILLFILES ALL OVER THE WORLD?

    tune in next week to find out the answers on a new episode of 'as the
    perl turns'

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 30, 2004

  3. >>>>> "NN" == Nomen Nescio <> writes:

    NN> WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.

    You will find little argument here, except from the stupid,
    ill-informed, and lazy.

    Charlton

    --
    cwilbur at chromatico dot net
    cwilbur at mac dot com
    Charlton Wilbur, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Nomen Nescio

    Robin Guest

    "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    > WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
    >
    > 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more

    safely.

    > Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that many

    hosts
    > ban it outright.
    >
    > Clunky, outdated shit and if you have an old version it is full of holes

    and
    > exploits for hackers and spammers.
    >
    > **** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless shit. go away

    formmail

    I should plug you into a formmail script and see what kinda spam I can send.
    jk, but seriously, can't you post to a php group?

    -Robin
    Robin, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Nomen Nescio

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Robin" <webmaster @ infusedlight . net> wrote in message

    > "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    > > WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
    > >
    > > 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more

    > safely.
    > >
    > > Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that many

    > hosts
    > > ban it outright.
    > >
    > > Clunky, outdated shit and if you have an old version it is full of holes

    > and
    > > exploits for hackers and spammers.
    > >
    > > **** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless shit. go away

    > formmail
    >
    > I should plug you into a formmail script and see what kinda spam I can

    send.
    > jk, but seriously, can't you post to a php group?

    Hell, why don't you just hook him up with one of your formmail-esque
    scripts.

    Oh yeah, you can't even write formmail quality scripts yet...

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, May 1, 2004
  6. Nomen Nescio

    Robin Guest

    "Matt Garrish" <> wrote in message

    > "Robin" <webmaster @ infusedlight . net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nomen Nescio" <> wrote in message
    > > > WHY ? No one needs this outdated crap anymore.
    > > >
    > > > 3 lines of PHP can do what shitty formmail does and better and more

    > > safely.
    > > >
    > > > Formmail is the spammers choice, formmail is so controversial that

    many
    > > hosts
    > > > ban it outright.
    > > >
    > > > Clunky, outdated shit and if you have an old version it is full of

    holes
    > > and
    > > > exploits for hackers and spammers.
    > > >
    > > > **** of formmail you suck. Totally pointless useless shit. go away

    > > formmail
    > >
    > > I should plug you into a formmail script and see what kinda spam I can

    > send.
    > > jk, but seriously, can't you post to a php group?
    > >

    > Hell, why don't you just hook him up with one of your formmail-esque
    > scripts.
    >
    > Oh yeah, you can't even write formmail quality scripts yet...
    >
    > Matt

    I should heheh.... my formail is only 20 lines or so and is so fucking
    insecure, I'm not even using it anymore.
    Robin, May 1, 2004