    Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".

    THanks.

    , Jul 1, 2007

  2. * <> [2007-07-01 15:53:30]:

    > In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
    > Object Library 5.1).
    >
    > I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
    > Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".

    PythonWin is a separate project by Mark Hammond providing win32 extensions for
    python.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

    --
    O.R.Senthil Kumaran
    http://uthcode.sarovar.org

    O.R.Senthil Kumaran, Jul 2, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    O.R.Senthil Kumaran <> wrote:
    >* <> [2007-07-01 15:53:30]:
    >
    >> In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
    >> Object Library 5.1).
    >>
    >> I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
    >> Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".
    >>

    >PythonWin is a separate project by Mark Hammond providing win32 extensions for
    >python.
    >
    >http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

    .
    .
    .
    I believe there's confusion afoot.

    Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
    Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
    with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
    pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
    of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,
    in this case, steve had in mind specifically the editor, and
    *not* all of win32all--although he'll surely want to know that
    the canonical way to retrieve it is as part of pywin32 as a
    whole.

    Cameron Laird, Jul 2, 2007
  4. On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 15:53:30 -0700, declaimed
    the following in comp.lang.python:

    > I downloaded Python 5.1 for windows so I could run a program.

    What is "Python 5.1"? The current version of Python is something
    like 2.5.x...

    > In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
    > Object Library 5.1).
    >
    > I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
    > Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".

    PythonWin is (or was) part of the win32 extension library for
    Python. It is a separate download -- unless you downloaded the
    ActiveState Windows build of Python. The ActiveState build includes the
    win32 libraries and "PythonWin" (but lacks a few of the, otherwise
    standard, encryption stuff -- which can be copied from a comparable
    [version-wise] python.org release).
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 2, 2007
  5. * Cameron Laird <> [2007-07-02 17:27:31]:

    > >PythonWin is a separate project by Mark Hammond providing win32 extensions for
    > >python.
    > >
    > >http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

    > .
    > .
    > .
    > I believe there's confusion afoot.
    >
    > Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
    > Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
    > with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
    > pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
    > of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,

    Thanks for the explaination, Cameron.
    Yeah, there was a confusion from my end.
    I hope the OP, got what he needed from the URL tough.

    --
    O.R.Senthil Kumaran
    http://uthcode.sarovar.org

    O.R.Senthil Kumaran, Jul 3, 2007
  6. On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 17:27:31 +0000, (Cameron Laird)

    > Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
    > Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
    > with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
    > pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
    > of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,
    > in this case, steve had in mind specifically the editor, and
    > *not* all of win32all--although he'll surely want to know that
    > the canonical way to retrieve it is as part of pywin32 as a
    > whole.

    Well... Since PythonWin (editor) won't work without the
    extensions...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 3, 2007
  7. Trent Mick Guest

    Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > PythonWin is (or was) part of the win32 extension library for
    > Python. It is a separate download -- unless you downloaded the
    > ActiveState Windows build of Python. The ActiveState build includes the
    > win32 libraries and "PythonWin" (but lacks a few of the, otherwise
    > standard, encryption stuff -- which can be copied from a comparable
    > [version-wise] python.org release).

    Note that it is no longer true that ActivePython does not include the
    standard encryption stuff (namely OpenSSL support for the socket module
    and the hashlib libraries). As of ActivePython 2.5.0.0 full SSL support
    is available.

    Cheers,
    Trent

    --
    Trent Mick
    trentm at activestate.com

    Trent Mick, Jul 3, 2007
  8. On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:56:08 -0700, Trent Mick <>

    > Note that it is no longer true that ActivePython does not include the
    > standard encryption stuff (namely OpenSSL support for the socket module
    > and the hashlib libraries). As of ActivePython 2.5.0.0 full SSL support
    > is available.

    Ah... I'm still on 2.4.x -- too lazy to track down 2.5 compatible
    versions of all the third party stuff...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 4, 2007