what is the PythonWin

steveandleyla

I downloaded Python 5.1 for windows so I could run a program.

I have to do the following:

In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
Object Library 5.1).

I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".

THanks.

Cameron Laird

PythonWin is a separate project by Mark Hammond providing win32 extensions for
python.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/
.
.
.
I believe there's confusion afoot.

Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,
in this case, steve had in mind specifically the editor, and
*not* all of win32all--although he'll surely want to know that
the canonical way to retrieve it is as part of pywin32 as a
whole.

Dennis Lee Bieber

I downloaded Python 5.1 for windows so I could run a program.
What is "Python 5.1"? The current version of Python is something
like 2.5.x...
In PythonWin, select Tools | COM MakePy utility | Microsoft Speech
Object Library 5.1).

I can't find PythonWin .. Does anybody know what this is. I have the
Python shell gui but no "PythonWin".
PythonWin is (or was) part of the win32 extension library for
Python. It is a separate download -- unless you downloaded the
ActiveState Windows build of Python. The ActiveState build includes the
win32 libraries and "PythonWin" (but lacks a few of the, otherwise
standard, encryption stuff -- which can be copied from a comparable
[version-wise] python.org release).
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

O.R.Senthil Kumaran

* Cameron Laird said:
.
.
.
I believe there's confusion afoot.

Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,

Thanks for the explaination, Cameron.
Yeah, there was a confusion from my end.
I hope the OP, got what he needed from the URL tough.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Pythonwin <URL: http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonWin > is a
Python-oriented editor for Windows. Mark bundles Pythonwin
with a couple of other equally-intriguing pieces to make
pywin32. When I read, "win32 extensions for python", I think
of what Mark labels "win32api". I'm reasonably certain that,
in this case, steve had in mind specifically the editor, and
*not* all of win32all--although he'll surely want to know that
the canonical way to retrieve it is as part of pywin32 as a
whole.

Well... Since PythonWin (editor) won't work without the
extensions...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

Trent Mick

Dennis said:
PythonWin is (or was) part of the win32 extension library for
Python. It is a separate download -- unless you downloaded the
ActiveState Windows build of Python. The ActiveState build includes the
win32 libraries and "PythonWin" (but lacks a few of the, otherwise
standard, encryption stuff -- which can be copied from a comparable
[version-wise] python.org release).

Note that it is no longer true that ActivePython does not include the
standard encryption stuff (namely OpenSSL support for the socket module
and the hashlib libraries). As of ActivePython 2.5.0.0 full SSL support
is available.

Cheers,
Trent

Dennis Lee Bieber

Note that it is no longer true that ActivePython does not include the
standard encryption stuff (namely OpenSSL support for the socket module
and the hashlib libraries). As of ActivePython 2.5.0.0 full SSL support
is available.
Ah... I'm still on 2.4.x -- too lazy to track down 2.5 compatible
versions of all the third party stuff...