What is the SUPPORTED way of consuming web service from client side?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Ryan Jacops, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Ryan Jacops

    Ryan Jacops Guest

    I am looking for a way to consume a web service from the
    client side w/o refreshing the page. I have already read
    the article "Remote Scripting in a .NET World" (see ref.
    below). Unfortunately, the examples in this article use
    the webservice.htc, which is unsupported by Microsoft (see
    other ref. below). I have found that there is a good
    reason it is unsupported, because from my experience (and
    others I've read about), this component has memory leak
    issues.

    So my question remains: What is the SUPPORTED/bug-free
    way of consuming web service from client side?

    For many years, I've used XMLHTTP in similar applications
    to connect to the server from client side w/o refreshing
    the page. Is this still the best way to go? I guess I
    figured that there must be something newer and better
    in .NET.