What is the tag to open a link in a new window?

Karl Groves

Simon Claes said:
Hi what is the tag to open a link in a new window?

Repost from something I sent to a similar discussion:

It is VERY bad to open new windows.
I work for a company that does usability testing. Let me give an example of
what a terrible idea new windows are:

Last week, we had a test with 10 participants (more than enough for a
qualitative analysis).
These 10 participants ranged in age from 25-70 and beginner to intermediate
level experience with the web. (one person was "advanced", only because he
had a hobby site)
ALL 10 participants exhibited confusion or frustration when they experienced
a new window opening - especially when they tried navigating back to where
they came from. None of them realized that a new window was even opened.
Typically, we leave it up to the user to solve their own problems. Afterall,
thats how it would be in real life. But on more than one occasion, we had to
interrupt the session to close the window for them.

The whole argument people have about using the "target=_blank" is because "I
don't want them losing my site". Well, here's a clue for people who believe
that: They get lost anyway. If you really care about them not being lost,
then don't break the back button. By opening links in the same window, at
least they can find their way back using the back button. With a new window,
you're ENSURING that they can't figure out how to get back to you.

-Karl

Whitecrest

Hi what is the tag to open a link in a new window?

<a> will do it, set the target to _blank

Or use Javascript and window.open() you have more control over the
opened window. but you also deal with pop up blockers and javascript
haters

Whitecrest

Repost from something I sent to a similar discussion:
It is VERY bad to open new windows.
I work for a company that does usability testing. Let me give an example of
what a terrible idea new windows are:...

Depending on how you design the test, you can achieve what ever outcome
you want....

Wÿrm

Depending on how you design the test, you can achieve what ever outcome
you want....

And depending how you design your whine you can achiecve what ever outcome
you want :)

Karl Groves

Whitecrest said:
Depending on how you design the test, you can achieve what ever outcome
you want....

Can you fucking read, or are you just an asshole?
We weren't even testing their reaction to new windows. However, while
performing the defined tasks, they experienced the new windows and were
confused.
Plain and simple. If you have data to support a differing claim, please
present it.

-Karl

Whitecrest

Can you fucking read, or are you just an asshole?

And you blow donkeys with that mouth?
We weren't even testing their reaction to new windows. However, while
performing the defined tasks, they experienced the new windows and were
confused.
Plain and simple. If you have data to support a differing claim, please
present it.

What do you do there sweep floors? You can design ANY test to say
ANYTHING. Also, I thought you killfiled me.

Dope.

Sid Ismail

: Hi what is the tag to open a link in a new window?

Please don't. 1 is enuff.

Sid

Jeff Thies

Hi what is the tag to open a link in a new window?
Repost from something I sent to a similar discussion:

It is VERY bad to open new windows.
I work for a company that does usability testing. Let me give an example of
what a terrible idea new windows are:

Typically I don't target new windows, but I have been asked to do that.

So lets say that you have to open a new window, how best to alleviate
that?:

Let's assume that either javascript is on or there is a gracefull default.

1) A note that this will open a new window
2) A javascript confirm with that message, and to return to the site close
this window.
3) A javascript popup window sized so the opener is visible underneath.

I've found myself getting confused by new windows. Of course I can figure
that out, but there is a moment!

Cheers,
Jeff

Whitecrest

I've found myself getting confused by new windows. Of course I can figure
that out, but there is a moment!

Un asked for popups are annoying, but getting confused over them?

Karl Groves

Jeff Thies said:
Typically I don't target new windows, but I have been asked to do that.

So lets say that you have to open a new window, how best to alleviate
that?:

I would say you should do two things to "minimize" the problem:
1) Announce the new window
2) Use javascript to open the window so that it is noticeably less than
full-screen

Chances are, the "(opens in a new window)" announcement will only be noticed
by a handful of people.
In the case of the new window, the issue is mostly that they just do not
notice the window being opened in the first place. Since, by default, the
new window opens at the same size as the already existing one, it just
covers up the old with the new. So if you were to open the new window at a
much smaller size than the existing one, they'd at least notice it.

I've not tested this approach and I'm not positive we would be solving the
new window problem. Users may then become frustrated with the new window in
general, frustrated by the fact that it isn't sized to their desired default
size, and frustrated by the fact that they have to expend the effort to
close the window they didn't want opened in the first place.

-Karl