What is the trick

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dvan, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Dvan

    Dvan Guest

    I have a field in my access DB, that is a hyperlink to an IP address.

    When I display that field on my site using ASP, the link doesn't come
    across.

    This is displayed
    162.136.133.36#http://162.136.133.36#

    The code to display the field is below
    response.write "<TD WIDTH=200>" & vbcrlf
    response.write(rs("IP_Address"))
    response.write "</TD>" & vbcrlf

    Is there a workaround? I have also tried to make the field a text field
    with HTTP:// in front of the rs("IP_Address") and that doesn't work either.

    Thanks in advance.

    Doug

    Dvan, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Don't use the hyperlink datatype! Just store 'http://162.136.133.36' in a
    text(255) column. Your ASP is going to have to build a link anyway:

    ip = rs("IP_Address")
    response.write("<a href=" & ip & ">" & ip & "</a>")

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 23, 2004

  3. Dvan

    Dvan Guest

    Aaron,

    One last question, that works fine, when I click on the link, it is putting
    my web server address in front of the IP address and the link won't work.

    Doug

    Dvan, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Are you putting http:// in yourself? Or are you storing it? From your
    initial message, it looked like you were storing "http://x.x.x.x/" not
    "x.x.x.x" ... if the latter, well, you need to tell the browser that you
    don't mean a folder on your machine called "x.x.x.x" so

    response.write("<a href=http://" & ip & ">" & ip & "</a>")

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 23, 2004
  5. Dvan

    James Baker Guest

    Did you include the http in the href or is it just href=162.136.133.36? If
    you include the http, it shouldn't be a problem.

    James Baker, Aug 24, 2004