    application server to their web servers even if it supports only
    Presentation Logic.
    Can you tell me the guys ,any further more .....regarding this issue?

    SivaSankar.Battula, Aug 27, 2005

  2. SivaSankar.Battula

    Guest

    Hi Siva.

    Me thinks no diff.

    What u say is correct.
    All that EJB XML and other things only add to the already present web
    server paradigm rather than providing a complete transormation.

    Frozen Insight

    , Aug 27, 2005

  3. SivaSankar.Battula

    David Segall Guest

    "SivaSankar.Battula" <> wrote:

    >what is the difference between a webserver and an application server?
    >As per my knowledge,
    >A web server is a server which provides the implementation of HTTP
    >protocol.
    >An application server is a server which provides the implementation of
    >a Technology (suppose like EJB,..) which will be used to run the
    >Besiness Logic inside the server.
    >Now a days every web server vendors are crazy in giving a name as
    >application server to their web servers even if it supports only
    >Presentation Logic.
    >Can you tell me the guys ,any further more .....regarding this issue?

    They say that the best way to get the right answer on Usenet is to
    post the wrong one so let me expose my naive view and say:

    A web server needs to start a new task for every request it receives.
    An application server is able to keep the application in memory and
    service requests as threads in the resident task.

    David Segall, Aug 27, 2005
  4. SivaSankar.Battula

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:11:07 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >A web server needs to start a new task for every request it receives.
    >An application server is able to keep the application in memory and
    >service requests as threads in the resident task.

    That would have been true 8 years ago, but today you have simple HTTP
    webservers that don't do things the CGI way. There are resident
    Servlets just mindlessly serving webpages, perhaps with a little SSI.

    The distinction comes into play mainly when you go to sign up with ISP
    for a website. The big question is, do you want vanilla HTTP that
    does nothing but serve webpages, and let users download files or do
    you want to run some sort of custom code on the server?

    The first would be webserver, the second an application server, even
    if all it did was a little JSP boilerplate.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Aug 28, 2005
  5. SivaSankar.Battula

    Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    So the conclusion is That both are same just the services (behind the
    scene) differ.

    Frozen Insight.

    , Aug 28, 2005
  6. writes:

    > So the conclusion is That both are same just the services (behind the
    > scene) differ.

    In the same sense that a pizza and a donut are the same, it's just the
    contents that differ. I.e., no.

    A web server serves web pages. It might have some fancy logic behind
    it, but its interface is the HTTP protocol.

    An application server is a more generic server, which doesn't need
    to serve web pages at all. It runs applications, and all sorts of
    clients can connect to it in different ways.

    Often, an application server (like a JavaEE server) will also contain
    a web server as *one* of the ways of communicating.
    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Aug 28, 2005
  7. Lasse Reichstein Nielsen coughed up:
    > writes:
    >
    >> So the conclusion is That both are same just the services (behind the
    >> scene) differ.

    > In the same sense that a pizza and a donut are the same, it's just the
    > contents that differ. I.e., no.
    >
    > A web server serves web pages. It might have some fancy logic behind
    > it, but its interface is the HTTP protocol.
    >
    > An application server is a more generic server, which doesn't need
    > to serve web pages at all. It runs applications, and all sorts of
    > clients can connect to it in different ways.
    >
    > Often, an application server (like a JavaEE server) will also contain
    > a web server as *one* of the ways of communicating.
    > /L

    I believe your explanation of this to be the most complete, however I would
    have to /partially/ agree with frozeninsight, only because two terms have
    started to blend together, at least conversationally.

    More precisely, web servers aren't often called app servers, but app servers
    are almost always refered to as web servers, even if strictly speaking HTTP
    is only 1/10th of what it's doing. This is how the conversations seem to
    run, but of course YMMV.

    --
    "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity!
    Two weeks from everywhere!"

    Thomas G. Marshall, Aug 29, 2005