What is the URL of a timestamp server for jarsigner?

Mark Riordan

In Java 5.0, jarsigner is now able to access a timestamp server
to put a timestamp in the signature.
However, I cannot find a timestamp server that is compatible
with jarsigner.

For example, when I do:

jarsigner -tsa http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll -keystore
my.keystore -storepass mystorepass MyApplet.jar mycert

I get:

jarsigner: unable to sign jar: java.io.IOException: MIME Content-Type is not
application/timestamp-reply

Extensive Googling has given me all sorts of hints on how to
timestamp with Microsoft Authenticode, but that does not apply
to Java.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Mark Riordan

Roedy Green

jarsigner: unable to sign jar: java.io.IOException: MIME Content-Type is not
application/timestamp-reply

What is supposed to happen, is if the CA does not want to sign your
request, it is supposed to return the correct mime type with a
human-readable trailer error message.

Did you buy your code-signing cert from Verisign? If so, check up on
their website about timestamping and make sure you are properly
registered for the service.

I found a test suite for timestamping, but only 2 actual timestamp
services that use the Java protocol. The world is suffering from too
many standards.

Mark Riordan`

Did you buy your code-signing cert from Verisign? If so, check up on
their website about timestamping and make sure you are properly
registered for the service.

I bought it from Thawte (owned by Verisign).
Neither Thawte nor Verisign knows anything about Java.
I found a test suite for timestamping, but only 2 actual timestamp
services that use the Java protocol. The world is suffering from too
many standards.

Can you share the URL for those services?

Thanks!

Mark R

(P. S. I couldn't decode your spamified email address.)

Roedy Green

Can you share the URL for those services?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timestamp.html

The protocol 3631 was originally for Microsoft CAB and visual basic
files. Fortunately, it was designed to be extensible to arbitrary code
signing, now Java is using it.

As I say in my essay, even after searching for over an hour, I could
find only two 3631 timestamping services. There are products to set
up your own timestamp service though, but you really need an
arms-length third party since you could easily fudge your own service.

Joined
Nov 10, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Necromancing this old thread to point out that a free TSA timestamp server is available here, using a well known root (Equifax):
https://timestamp.geotrust.com/tsa

More details on the VeriSign page:
https://knowledge.verisign.com/support/code-signing-support/index?page=content&id=AR185

Don't forget about the proxy params for HTTPS:
-J-Dhttps.proxyHost=<hostname>
-J-Dhttps.proxyPort=<portnumber>

(For a plain HTTP timestamp server, the proxy params are called -J-Dhttp.proxyHost and -J-Dhttp.proxyPort)