    Please tell me the usage of REGS key word
    how it can be used?
    any kind of suggestions will help me.

    vicky, Jun 25, 2007

  2. vicky

    Marcus Kwok Guest

    vicky <> wrote:
    > Please tell me the usage of REGS key word

    REGS is not a keyword in C++.

    --
    Marcus Kwok
    Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

    Marcus Kwok, Jun 25, 2007

  3. vicky

    Default User Guest

    vicky wrote:

    > Hi, i am vikram
    >
    > Please tell me the usage of REGS key word\

    It's not a keyword. In some old C compilers, it was a union meant for
    use with certain x86 interrupt routines, for accessing registers.

    > how it can be used?

    Don't.

    Brian

    Default User, Jun 25, 2007
  4. vicky

    osmium Guest

    "vicky" writes:

    > Please tell me the usage of REGS key word
    > how it can be used?

    It is not, and never was, a keyword. It is a union commonly #defined in C
    compilers until Microsoft got their act together.

    Take a look at this link, scan down about 1/3 of the page to the union.

    It's use is frowned upon, and might even be unusable in some of the recent
    OSes from Microsoft.

    http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/vista/2459/programming/mouse.htm

    osmium, Jun 25, 2007
  5. vicky

    osmium Guest

    "osmium" writes:

    > "vicky" writes:
    >
    >> Please tell me the usage of REGS key word
    >> how it can be used?

    > It is not, and never was, a keyword. It is a union commonly #defined in C
    > compilers until Microsoft got their act together.

    It occurs to me that that response was brusque and not terribly helpful. I
    think what you found was a list of what *I* would call "reserved words",
    such lists look an awful lot like a list of keywords. So I took a looked at
    an old Turboc C++ manual and they have a list of "All Turbo C++ keywords",
    including such gems as 'pascal' and several others. I don't think they
    should have done that, and it may well be a pervasive thing. I have very
    little interest in language lawyering but Stroustrup has a list of keywords
    (in his book), and he was there first and is thus entitled to stake a claim
    on the usage of the word.

    In any event, if someone on this newsgroups mentions keywords they mean the
    bona fide listings such as the one in Stroustrp or K&R.

    osmium, Jun 25, 2007